FC3: Tips and Tricks

Started by Art Blade, December 07, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKM2

I got the official strategy guide yesterday; they apparently have an online interactive map also, which they give you a code to access it. Sorry I haven't bothered with it yet, so I don't know if it is any good.

Not sure the guide is worth it, but its kinda interesting, first twenty pages or so is about how they made the game, early art w@&k and stuff like that.
Sadly the map provided is so compressed to make it fit on two pages that's its useless.
A good section on the crafts and recipes though.

Once I learn some more I'll likely make a Checklist like I did for FC2.
Even though there is kind of one in the game, its not too informative. I like to look at something and see what I've done and what I need to do to complete a task, etc.

Now all we need is a high res map.   8)
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

Quote from: DKM2 on December 10, 2012, 01:09:06 PM
Once I learn some more I'll likely make a Checklist like I did for FC2.
Even though there is kind of one in the game, its not too informative. I like to look at something and see what I've done and what I need to do to complete a task, etc.

Excellent!  The FC2 checklist was very popular  :-X

Quote from: DKM2 on December 10, 2012, 01:09:06 PM
Now all we need is a high res map.   8)

You're right!   :angel:

UPDATE: I added the maps that Jim found to the top of the boards, much like we have in the FC2 boards.  I also found a map that is reminiscent of D_B's maps - not nearly as good, but not too bad.

Map at Ubisoft

I kind of like this map - interactive where you can scroll through marked map items and read descriptions and see small pics.  This would be a good resource to use when searching for unexplored things in the FC3 world.

fragger

I'll have to check that map out another time. My poor old connection has its hands full just coping with this forum at present :D

Here's a tip for when you get to Hoyt's island and you want to liberate outposts (btw, on this island they're treated like the restricted zones in FC2. Even though everywhere else on the island you can freely move among the bad guys because you're disguised as one of them, you can't just waltz into an outpost or they'll open up on you). Whatever you do, at all costs, DO NOT let the bad guys set the alarm off! This is bad, very bad, way worse than when reinforcements arrive in the north. LOTS of guys loaded for bear arriving in armed vehicles, and helicopter gunships equipped with what sound like miniguns. Unless you're well and truly armed to the teeth with RPGs or something and skilled to the hilt, you won't have a prayer...

Disable the alarms, or make very sure you get all the enemies before any of them hit that button!

Diwas Amatya

You can hold the interact button to roll/dive out of a speeding vehicle, C4+Quad Bike=Awesomeness.

PZ

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Diwas Amatya on December 10, 2012, 10:47:13 PM
You can hold the interact button to roll/dive out of a speeding vehicle, C4+Quad Bike=Awesomeness.
Yup, just discovered that today by mistake - i meant to pull up sideways with a handbrake turn but found myself rolling along the ground. It's about time I dusted off the C4.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

Nice one Diwas, must try that :-X

I tumbled to something useful today. You'll need to have at least two green leaves and one blue one in your kit for this. If you think you're about to get hit really hard, escape to the menu, craft yourself an endorphin boost syringe and use it immediately. It will add four extra bars to your health gauge, even if you're already at six, so you can have up to a whopping ten. There's no time limit on it, but the downside is that the extra four bars won't regenerate and they can't be refilled with ordinary syringes. The "endorphin" bars in your gauge will show up in white, not orange. It can sometimes make a difference.

Art Blade

Excellent -- I'd never have tried to add more to those extra four, kudos :-X

I tried something similar, actually something in addition: Having filled up my health bars, I chucked another syringe into my arm that makes you immune to damage for a short amount of time (30 secs in my case, with the perk unlocked that extends the duration of syringe effects). Like that I stay in a temp god mode and when it wears off, I still have the extra health bars :)

The endorphin syringe is so far the only effect that can be both stacked and combined with any other syringe.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Why has no one mentioned the gun-boats?  :-() Now they're handy in a lot of situations with a pretty damn heavy machine gun. I cleared the Pirates Cove out with it before it becomes a mission - just sailed into the cove and opened up...they never stood a chance.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

PZ

Excellent tips, gentlemen  :-X ^-^

durian

If you have a tough time killing the heavy guys, try to unlock Heavy Beatdown skill which alows you to do silent takedown on them.
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

PZ

Good one  :-X

I've not accumulated nor revealed at least half of the skills yet

Art Blade

if you collect those letters (500XP) and relics (250XP) and liberate outposts undetected (1500XP) you will accumulate perks rapidly :) Finishing the 11th mission will unlock 26 new perks and some time later, getting to the new southern map, the rest will become available, too.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 11, 2012, 05:51:32 PM
if you collect those letters (500XP) and relics (250XP) and liberate outposts undetected (1500XP) you will accumulate perks rapidly :) Finishing the 11th mission will unlock 26 new perks and some time later, getting to the new southern map, the rest will become available, too.

Good to know; thanks!  :-X  I'm getting better at liberating outposts; I have more skill points available than I have skills to spend them on.

spearhead_22

Very nice tips, Art.  :-X I have been actually implementing  most of the tips before I checked out this thread. Guess great minds think alike :-()
I am trying to activate all the communications tower, liberating the outposts and crafting most of the required stuff before proceeding with the main mission.
Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

Art Blade

:-D I forgot how many XP points you get for the towers, but indeed, I reckon everyone will try to unlock them anyway, both for free weapons and of course for revealing the map.

Art Blade

checked.. radio towers: 500XP.  :-()

Oh, since you always get supply drop missions after doing a tower, another 500XP for those  :)

durian

Hello spear head,

Look at your list of games you're playing  :o
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Jim di Griz

Quote from: durian on December 12, 2012, 12:31:07 PM
...Look at your list of games you're playing  :o
Lots of pixel-shooting going on there  :)

fragger

Watch it Jim, you could lose your title of Sir Gamealot! We may have to change it to Sir Doesn't-Quite-Game-So-Much-As-Spearhead :-()

fragger

I was up on a small cliff and there was a tiger wandering around down below near a road. Along came a patrol vehicle with a couple of pirates on board, and it gave me an idea. When they got near I opened up on them, just a few rounds to get their attention, and as I hoped, they stopped and got out - right in front of the tiger, who immediately chowed down on both of them >:D

PZ

Art Blade

:-()

reminds me of PZ who came running through an outpost with a predator in his wake but shook him off so the outpost had something to play with, too  :-D

I tried it the other way round. I had a bear next to me and threw stones towards the outpost so the bear would go there and at the time make the guys in the outpost get out towards the oncoming bear. I sat back and watched as everyone else was getting way too busy to pay any attention to me. In the end, when I walked over not having fired a single shot, the compound was torched and bodies all over the place with a bear that dropped dead when I blinked at him.  :-D

PZ

Good one  :-X  I did not realize the animals would also investigate rock noises!

spearhead_22

Quote from: durian on December 12, 2012, 12:31:07 PM
Hello spear head,

Look at your list of games you're playing  :o

Hello durian, I love playing games, so whenever a new game comes out, and if it has a good rating, I try it out.  :)
So many games to play...so less time  :-(

Quote from: fragger on December 13, 2012, 04:53:35 AM
Watch it Jim, you could lose your title of Sir Gamealot! We may have to change it to Sir Doesn't-Quite-Game-So-Much-As-Spearhead :-()

Lol, fragger  ;D
Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳