AC3 - first impressions

Started by PZ, October 31, 2012, 09:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I hear you mandru; gaming on two or more platforms means that you have purchased the game 2 or more times, which goes against my grain under normal circumstances.  However, because I tend to game in the morning on the console in my bed, and on the PC relaxing after dinner, i feel it is worth the extra effort and $.  However, because I game much more in the mornings, I tend to purchase first for the console and then if the game is worthy, purchase again for the PC.  The way I figure it, life is too short to worry about the $60 that it takes to purchase a game - I get so much enjoyment out of it.

Back on topic, I met George Washington this morning, and he seems an affable chap.  In the same room was Charles Lee, an infamous Templar who somehow is involved in the revolution.

PZ

I just watched one of the developer videos in which the claim is that the game lasts 30 hours long, and the cinematic parts have a 2.5 hour duration.  That alone is like a full length movie, and then some.

For me, the cinematics are a bit over done because they occur in a frequency too high for my tastes.  While they are good, I often feel like I would rather play the game than watch video.

JRD

Guess I saw the same video... and you can't skip the cutscenes, can you?  ????
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Some you can and others you cannot.  It seems like the main story ones you need to suffer through, but that is not too bad because it increases your understanding of the story.  It would be nice if you could skip them once you complete the game and start a fresh one.

PZ

Because of the new engine, this game is lots more complex (therefore realistic) than prior games.  There is so much I still have to experience, and it is going to take dozens of hours to get it all done.

Although watching the walk through videos of the main missions has me cringing (many timed events), the side missions and exploration in the game is fantastic - better than in any prior game.  :-X

PZ

Naval battle mission

I did the first of the naval missions today, and it was lots of fun.  I won't go into details, but you pilot the ship, control the sails, and also the guns.  You need to pay attention to rogue winds (go aground if sailing too fast).  You ship is more nimble if at half-sail, but you cannot catch your opponents by staying at that state; full sail is necessary.  You can also upgrade your ship if you have enough money - so far I have done nothing.

You have a choice of using deck guns, or the main cannon.  The broadside guns can be loaded with ball, or chain depending on what you want to accomplish (sink versus disable).

Very impressive so far; the naval missions are very well done.  I did not think you could be responsible for so much control yet still accomplish the mission in a reasonable number of tries.

PZ

Weather effects

What a great addition to the game!  When it rains, snows, or you experience any kind of bad weather, the ability of the Brittish to detect you is diminished.  I was climbing  a view point building when it began to rain.  As I started up the side, the brick was dry and powdery-looking, and when the rain soaked the walls, it was shiny with water, and looked very realistic.

The same can be said for the cobblestone streets, and as you walk you can hear the water sloshing beneath your feet.

mandru

In both AC2 and AC:R there was a period of time close to the beginning of the games where it was helpful to build up as much cash and gear as possible before the Templars really became aware of your presence.  The more foundational cred you built up made it way easier to slip into the story line.  Being well heeled from as early on as possible insured that you were well equipped to enjoy the game without having to fuss over trying to maintain operational funds and gear acquisition once things became more critically oriented on working through the sequences.

Is there a point in AC3 where this is possible and if so at what point of the game is that advisable to pursue?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

mandru... allow me to answer you.

Having played through all AC games more than once (except Revelations... yet) just like you described, i.e., building up money and gear before the story advances too much, I realised one thing: You can actually go through the main storyline missions without much gear and/or money, leaving aside pretty much half the game's content, and yet reach the end of the game!

It will however make you skip most of the joy of playing an incredible game like Assassins Creed. As you are aware, exploring and doing side missions play an important role in immersing you into the story. You gather enough resources to be, as you said, equiped with the best armor and wielding the best weapons to get you through tough missions without too much desynching which will lead to frustration.

The game's monetary system is so well balanced that it takes a while for you to get familiarized with all the details involved in maintaining a steady income in order to purchase all you want and need. It will eventually get you through the whole map in different situations and put you in contact with so many different characters.

Right now I'm playing Brotherhood and, unlike my other playthrough, I've decided I will get those damned shop quests done once and for all!!!!!!!! It is a point in the game that illustrates what I am trying to tell you: if you manage to gather some specific trade items like incense, buddhist prayer beads, ambergris, terracotta pots, pomander, nutmeg, indian diamonds, coffee beans, silk... the list goes on and on... you can unlock some specific items in the shops. You can get a mighty strong set of armor, a conan-like sword, fast poison etc... which will make you go through all missions much easier.... only thing is that it's so freaking hard to get those things I just skipped them all in my 1st playthrough... it actually flt like I had a piece of the game taken from me as I was willing to get those quests done but never actually made it. Now it is taking me an awful lot of exploration thogh Rome after specific treasure chests plus a very tricky selection of assassination missions to send my recruits to.... and also the anticipation of being attacked by masked thieves... all those a source of those rare trade items.... and I'm telling you man... I'm still short on a efw of them!  :D

My point is: I managed to get through the game without any of those shop quests in my 1st playthrough. I did all Templar Lair puzzles to get the armor of Brutus hence acquiring the best armor in the game and even though I didn't unlock the conan-like Spada Lunga in the blacksmith I managed to purchase some fierceful swords and used them right  >:D

So, to answer you... I would enjoy the game gathering as many cash as you can and purchasing what's available to purchase and when ready, go do the main missions which will open new items to purchase and so on and so forth!!!!!  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

PZ

Agreed; I'm now most of the way through my first play through AC3 and have not made any purchases yet except those that are required by the mission line.  It is said that the best items are achieved by crafting, but I have not explored that facet of the game much although I have collected many things through treasure chest discovery.

I never did many of the shop missions in Brotherhood because like JRD I worked to get Brutus' armor, and collected Vlad's sword which was better than anything else I'd discovered.

mandru

- mandru

mandru

I was deep into my first play through Sequence 3:2 "Execution is Everything" with the optional sync requirements of "Do not kill any guards" when my cover was blown.  Falling directly under attack I decided to play out the sequence and then come back to clean up the loose ends in a later DNA memory replay.  You can imagine how shocked I was when I was suddenly de-synced and received the disturbing screen message "YOU HAVE KILLED GEORGE WASHINGTON!"  :o

Look, we all know he's in the game but this was a long time before he was a general and at this point in his life he was in the British Navy.  I recall reading that George's mother wanted him to resign from the navy and come home as expressed through several pleading letters.  She had to resort to bribing him with a gentleman's silver pocket knife manufactured in Sheffield England to gain his return.

Apparently this was a historically documented land based assignment for the junior naval officer under General Braddock.

With this realization it dawned on me that naval officer Washington also surprisingly makes a more prominent appearance (though unidentified as to who he actually is) in Sequence 3:3 The Braddock Expedition which has given me no end of trouble.  He is not portrayed as a redcoat rather he shows up in his proper blue naval uniform and I almost laughed my guts out when the clues clicked into place for me during one of the many times though that memory.

Especially the bit where Xio (pronounced zee-oh) cracks him in the forehead with the butt of her knife.  :laugh:
- mandru

fragger

That's both very informative and very cool, cheers mandru :-D :-X

PZ

OMG one of the OWGs killed George!

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Quote from: PZ on November 24, 2012, 12:57:44 PM
OMG one of the OWGs killed George!

Well...  :-[

I did have to go back and fix that minor detail.  ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

erm.. did you resurrect him or realise you hadn't finished him off yet?  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I simply replayed the memory and achieved full sync by not killing anyone.  It was really helpful to find out that grabbing an enemy from behind (with empty hands) just knocks them out and doesn't void their warranty.

I only applied that solution to the lone guard standing watch at the gate opposite the one you use to enter the fort so that I could slip away into the snowy night leaving George completely unmolested.  :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

JRD

Quote from: mandru  on November 25, 2012, 01:07:39 PM
It was really helpful to find out that grabbing an enemy from behind (with empty hands) just knocks them out and doesn't void their warranty.

I didn't know that!!!! That's really helpful indeed. I could've used that technique but after I killed one guard I decide to kill my way out of there  ::)

I can always come back and replay that memory!!  8)

PZ

Quote from: JRD on November 26, 2012, 04:36:21 AM
...I can always come back and replay that memory!!  8)

This is something I wish they had programmed in to FC3.  For instance, I'd do some of the main missions again, like the Medusa, or the drug fields.

Tags:
🡱 🡳