Dead Island: Riptide

Started by Jim di Griz, September 01, 2012, 01:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

Ah, OK, I thought it was a recurring one that would level up with you. :)

Yeah, I thought the barracks (compared to eg. the Hotel in DI) was a bit boring and the rooftop too, I found that a bit boring compared to the other defences, I though I could do something constructive with the electricity, but that was useless and the combat was too far away from the mounted gun for it to be of any use really.

One thing that REALLY annoyed me....
Y'know how in your INV you could have maybe one line with 10 molotovs and another with say 20, in DI you could drop them all and then pick them up, so there would be just one line with 30....
I did that with my 'nades, molos and Exp Mines, picked them up, but all the feckin mines had disappeared.....Really gutted I had farmed about 50 of the buggers >.<  :D
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Jim di Griz

Yeah, it seems to want no more than 30 per line of any throwable item - good news is though that you can have several lines. Pretty annoying that bit about the vanishing mines etc.

I've noticed mines sinking almost completely into the ground too - I tend to seed a retreat path if I think a screamer or thug is going to come around the corner and I've had difficulties retreiving some mines afterwards.

The M72 LAW is leveless and appears as a grey level weapon - a special in other words.

The last big battle in the docks is a sod, I warn you. I'm currently faffing around the place sorting out anything I've not completed yet before finishing (you get a no-return beyond this point warning after the docks.)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Fiach

Thanks for the heads up, btw, be careful with New Game Plus, maybe make a back up save before you do it just in case, I havent done it myself, but read up on it before you commit.
I had a problem with Resi 6 and NG+, due to badly worded instructions (a double negative ffs), it made more sense to do the wrong thing than the correct thing to start a NG+ and I lost all my s#!t.  :D

Fiach

I'm in the docks or on the way there now, just came to a lift that wasnt working and have to search the laboratory, is this the end of the game?

Kinda disappointed with the second half, enemies seem much harder to kill, maybe 'cos my boots never got an upgrade lol :) and those screamers are fucking annoying, takes about (well for me) about 30 bullets from a purple assault shock mod rifle or a f@#k-ton of Pride Shotgun blasts.

Any idea how long is left?

I thought I'd finish Purnas second half, but I think I need a break from the game at this stage :)

Jim di Griz

Sorry for the delay, bottle of wine sent me to bed early  ^-^

Yeah, the laboratory is where the boss battle happens after the broken lift and there's only a little bit after that to go - well, 3% according to the game.

Rage with screamers is the best way I found, but that may be due to my using John with the maxed speed ability enabled during said state, so I can get through the others and take the screamer down before it can pierce my eardrums...

It does take at least one clip alright, and the sniper rifle never seems to allow for a one-shot kill with them either.

Appreciate the warning about starting the next game. There was a slight kerfuffle over on the DI forums about that - but nothing above the level of grunts and chest beating really. I shall have to look wider afield.

When you do go in, pack loads of sharps and the hooligan mod for your shotgun - very little else seems to w@&k, not even mines or grenades like in the DI finale.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on May 09, 2013, 06:39:12 PM
Sorry for the delay, bottle of wine sent me to bed early  ^-^

When you do go in, pack loads of sharps and the hooligan mod for your shotgun - very little else seems to w@&k, not even mines or grenades like in the DI finale.

Pfft! lightweight  :laugh:

OK, well I have the Hooligan, found a guy that sells mines, so I have a ton of them, have plenty of 'nades and deo-bombs.
Not sure why you would suggest sharps for John, as you couldnt use Uppercut, but I have alot of points in Rage so I tend to have it on all the time.

How do you feel about the game now after finishing it?

I loved the jungle, but I'm finding the last bit a chore really, not hard, just kinda....I dunno...pointless. Maybe I'm just burned out, I'm about 70 hours in Played Purna 52%, John 52%, John to near the end and a bit of imported Purna Xian and Logan, so I guess I had had just played one or two characters I wouldnt be as jaded as I am now with it :)

But I did sink about 140 hours into the original (steam lost 90+ hours of saves, so thats a guestimate) and would play it again tomorrow.

Fiach

Heres something I never knew. While I noticed the quests, i thought they were for Co-Op.
Each character has a number of quests they want you to do for them.
If I'm right, some of them will upgrade their store, while others will upgrade their weapons.
In the menu, just one under your skills, you should find a list of characters.
If they have "Quest Available", select it, and you should get a quest for them.
They usually consist of collecting some items they need to upgrade their weapon, I believe.
They are worth doing anyway.

Jim di Griz

It took me a while to suss those group quests, first off I thought they would bring the person along on that particular mission - would have been nice. You are right in your assements of them, they do upgrade available store items and give you 'nades of varying kinds. A lot of the second and third level group quests the items will be found in Dead Zones.

In your first playthrough though, you'll not be able to upgrade Wayne to level three, as you aren't likely to find enough of the items you need in time...

I just started my second playthrough with John - I was curious about how he'd cope with the first hub defense. The options though were plain and simple: at the game end I had the choice to continue, then select X for continue with level and inventory or O for reset everything.

A few things I noticed toward the end, maybe due to my having completed a few of the challenges, John can now carry an increased supply of bullets - plus there is a gun dealer in residence at the military base with some pretty nice weapons.

Regarding the Hooligan mod, I'm not sure why the walkthrough I saw requires it, as the Shock mod does more damage and that person had aim-assist on, so each shot was a head-shot. Fury doesn't seem to help much in that boss battle, not do mines. I thought the use of sharps was a bit unfair, as throwing stuff is only a regular thing for Xian and Logan. Maybe the battle can be won in other ways, but throwing 24000 HP Katanas and Wakizashis did the trick for me.

As for my impressions, well I'm sort of the other way around. There is so much more to do in Henderson it seems though there is one area I still cannot get into - you'll see it when you enter the quarantine zone, by the other gate. I also wonder why the map area is so large when you cannot get to roughly a third of it...ah well, time to do some research I think.

I take it you have gone into the makeshift hospital? There are a few extra missions there, I almost passed it up due to that damn screamer nearby.

I'll certainly give it another playthrough with a different character - for now though, I have a few other games to get on with and once - then there will be the co-op to do once my mates can afford the game. Co-op is a lot of fun in the DI games, especially as you have the option to block out the world of numpties and only accept people on your friend list.

Fiach

That area is probably an area for an expansion pack, currently at 65% with purna, retreading the stuff I did with john, makes progress less of a chore.

I started with purna, it took John about 3 hours less to get to where she was, so prior knowledge with John should now shave a decent amount of time off with Purna :)

I think purna can carry double Johns ammo, so...maybe 120 rifle bullets, But I think her capacity was due to a skill.

Wait....you are at the military base already with John on a NG+ or the weapons dealer is in the base on the first playthrough? Might be able to snag a nice rifle for Purna before Trevors one.

One thing that PISSES ME OFF is when you go to mod a weapon, say you have a Pride shotty and go to make a new one....you have no idea what the original stats were on the Pride shotty, to see if the new one will out DPS it, really annoying to have to spend thousands to fully upgrade to find out.

Fiach

So, I played it twice (Purna and John), I have to say I really enjoyed it alot. On saying that, while I played about 70 hours (inc. some time with Logan), I felt that the end came rather quickly, like, when you reach the final area, it seems to trip over itself trying to finish. I finished at Lv 62, anyone know what the level cap is?

I think I preferred the first game, but I dont know why, its pretty marginal though.

Anyway, a great game and with NG+ its just fun on a stick :)))))

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
In the ending cutscene, it shows the chick in the Cinema staying and the creatures breaking in and also at the Makeshift Hospital, that got over run.

Is that because I missed quests there and didnt save them or something?

Jim di Griz

No  :) your conscience can remain clear - that end scene happens regardless.
those folks decided to stay and unfortunately paid for it.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier - got tangled up in all of the GT6 release news :-D

Cap for levelling is 70 so you aren't too far from that now. It does mean that I am getting some pretty decent weapons now during my second, sporadic playthrough - it also means I'm wasting XP on a character that's already maxed.

I agree about the original hit-point and DPS values after being upgraded, that is a bit annoying. I tend to park new weapons with the storage guy until I have the cash to upgrade them. I'm almost ready to go through to Henderson again, so once I start collecting diamonds, I should have cash aplenty.

Yes, the gun dealer takes up residence after you have completed the military base. They might have been there on my way out and I just didn't notice. Anyway, she's up on the first alarm tower. I also found you can blow up mines by throwing weapons at them.

true that the campaign felt shorter - all in all though I put about sixty-five hours into the first playthrough and got everything except three collectables and one recording. Purna does indeed carry a lot more ammo and it is skill related. John upgrades to 72 rifle bullets and a similar amount for the other weapons, so not much really.

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on May 17, 2013, 09:08:20 PM

Sorry I haven't replied earlier
-

s#!t! Seriously Jimi, how long have you been here, surely you know what happens when theres a late reply??????

Art calls a meeting and we have to do those funny hand shakes with our trouser legs rolled up!!!!! It's really fecking undignified mate, so in future, make sure you reply in a timely manner  >:(( :angry-new: :D 8-X :angel:

Art Blade

You didn't mention Dogzilla, our "pet" dog. For some reason, all people who had been assigned to take care of his dog house mysteriously disappeared. Late repliers will be assigned in order to fill the gap. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Yeah, I just nipped out and bought a pile of dogzilla sized demon-hound treats to keep it occupied  ;)

It's amazing what my local corner shop carries in its murky depths...

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

By the way.. Fiach, you're late.

Fiach

Quote from: Art Blade on May 18, 2013, 10:27:11 AM
By the way.. Fiach, you're late.

Well...actually I'm quite fond of those meetings :P

Art Blade

:-D :-D :-D

We should arrange a meeting of Dogzilla and Catzilla. Bring body armour. :-D

Fiach

Speaking of dogz, We are getting two pups in a couple of weeks, they are a cross between a Siberian Huskey and a Rhodsian Ridgeback.

The kids want to call them Spock and Kirk as they were born the week that ST: ID was released. My wife insists they will be called Sparky and Corky and she's driving the lads bananas as they think she's serious :)

Maybe I'll throw Dogzilla and Godzilla into the mix, see how they react :)

Jim di Griz

I always like Doomageddon for a dog's name (from The League of Super Evil.)

Spock and Kirk would be fun though.

Art Blade

yeah, stick with Spock and Kirk. You'll definitely be prone to get into a few conversations when people hear you calling your dogs  :laugh:

Fiach

Latest incarnations are Spork and Dork, the lads are getting pissed off with me, my wee girl is winding them up, saying that she's going to buy little Star Trek costumes in Forbidden Planet for them and a blue lead for Spock and a yellow one for Kirk lol :)

Art Blade

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Fiach on May 19, 2013, 04:22:17 AM
...a blue lead for Spock and a yellow one for Kirk lol :)
Sounds like she has more of a grasp of the Trek universe than the current director  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳