Dead Island: Riptide

Started by Jim di Griz, September 01, 2012, 01:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim di Griz

Hey, you seem to be having as much fun as I am, dashing about the place and discoving lots of things to do.

I don't think the weapons transfer from DI - just the XP and hopefully the blueprints, but maybe not.

I think gunplay will feature more in the later maps, such as Henderson and the jungle - though I've only put ten hours in so far, so am not certain. I'm still on the sixth part of the boat quest...Dead Zone here I come.

I actually went into one at the petrol station without realising it...first time I died as I spawned amongst six infected and I was holding the wrong weapon.

Try using the shovel with the BBQ blueprint - that is apparently a fine one.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fiach

I've read that henderson has guns, Lv 39 at the moment, but still not left the first area, I got a blue shovel off someone for a quest and used that, comes in handy in one of the early hub defences (that was a pita btw, it starts and you dont have time to gear up and I got killed and chose...Start from Last checkpoint, but I didnt, I started at some section where I had bugger all ammo left). it happens when

Spoiler
After you collect the jesuit bark and the father tells you that a certain person is evil, if you return to camp a cutscene happens, then you are trapped, so make sure you are well geared up before you complete the bark quest.

Its bloddy good game though in all fairness, really happy with it :)

Only skills and level come across with with import characters.

If you look at your map, you will see a golden bear type creature, if you head over there, in a cave is a Venom Mod. :)

Oh yeah, if you go to the research facility, bring a fuckload of molotovs and flares.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Jim di Griz

Yeah, just went in and loaded my level 60 Sam B character to try him out. It's handy having the skill abilities and full weapon slot compliment - but I tell you, the first hub-defence was a lot tougher. The game alters its approach a bit for each character perhaps?

They swamped me in the first bit, so I was all of the way back over the bridge by the time I got the last one down and the second wave was just painful. I ended up reloading checkpoint twice to get to where I could shoot the barrels - my inventory and health state carried over from the previous attempt too, so I had only three flare-gun shells and not much health  :(

Still, I'll go back to Mr Morgan tonight and carry on hardcore style - the shock and stun bombs are pretty useful by the way, well, they are at level 27... :)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Fiach

I think if you import a higher lv character the game gets progressively more difficult, its kinda like....the game doesnt quite know how to deal with it, so it swamps you with enemies of your level, I found a huge difference between a Lv 50 Purna and a Lv 33 Logan for example.

PRO TIP for lots of molotovs/grenades and mines SPOILERIFIC

Spoiler
When you get to the Research station, instead of going up to the door, turn left down a small path. IT IS MINED, but you can travel to the left, then at the end of that path, cut across to the right, then walk along the fallen tree trunk.
Drop down and then climb the liana for a Sonic bomb, go into the bunker BEWARE of mines (throw a knife at them or kick a zombie into them. See a locked chest on the left (got an orange Cane Knife there), then in the next room (watch the mine), there are 3 grenades, 3 mines and 3 molotovs...>quit > continue as required.

The place is also a fast travel location, so you can nip to paradise pick up some flares and molotovs the head here and get some more stuff...rinse/repeat :)

Fiach

Just been through the tunnels (connect starter area to the next town henderson), pretty excellent stuff, the game just keeps getting better and better :)

Jim di Griz

Ahh, I'm a day or so behind you then.

I just went through the bunkers now and am at the Cinema in Henderson. Those tunnels and the Japanese base are a great area, dark, maze-like and quite intense. Found a lot of good stuff down there too.

Met the Brawler yet?

Fiach

No mate, I parked Purna just before the Cinema as I thought you only needed a sample from the tunnel, apparently you need a few items, so I'm doing a quick run through as John (heading to the Mission currently), to see what they are, then do them with Purna.

Well impressed with the tunnels, dont think I met a brawler.

Have you tried John yet? He is really good, self heals and can go toe to toe with a Thug without breaking a sweat, really impressed with him.

Jim di Griz

Yeah, started with John - I also have my Sam B up and running too, though only got him to Paradise because I wanted to see what would be carried over (skill tree and level only.)

I agree that John M is really good, that hand-to-hand ability is really useful. I like to use a Chinese Sword on thugs - though my Tesla shovel is pretty handy now  ^-^.

The brawler is just before the ferryport after the bunkers.

Damn, so I need to go back in there and look for more samples...hell! I though I was being thorough too. Spent about four hours exploring the place. There was a tunnel with walkers in it that I couldn't get into whilst I was taking on the gang holed up at the end - maybe in there?

Fiach

Dunno where they are mate, just got the pump this morning, I'll have the defence later before I get in, spoke to kessler and he mentions 3 things to keep an eye out for, so it seems to be the green stuff sample an enemy and somethng else, I forget what it was though, but I aint coming out til I get it. :)

I guess the brawler was wayne he got bitten before they moved to the mission.

I use the Tesla on knives and throw them (NOT throwing knives though, tesla doesnt w@&k on them for some reason). If I'm getting close to a thug, I would use an uppercut and shock claws.

Have you seen any mods for knuckles, I found one, but it's only for spiked and badass knuckles, cant use it on my orange ordinary ones, or do I need a spiked mod first? dunno... some of the cpmbat stuff is kinda vague.

Fiach

Art Blade

thanks for the info, Fiach :)

By the way, I happened upon a DI2 vid from a guy on YT who just started the game so I watched the game intro and the character selection and a bit into his first minutes of gameplay. Although it is not my preferred genre I have to admit that the graphics were really nice. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Yeah, I love pottering around the swamp in a boat, or hanging around the beach, its a pretty immersive game for me :)

Art Blade

I know that feeling myself and like to just walk around if the locations are nice..  :) who knows, I might even try DI2 one day if I can get my hands on a bargain  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

I'm surprised that you and Binn havent tried the Co-Op on DI 1, its supposed to be very good.

Art Blade

Heh.. At least I haven't got D1. And.. basically I'm more a SP guy so I'm interested in SP first and online gaming later, if at all.  :)

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Fiach on May 03, 2013, 04:10:03 AM
...spoke to kessler and he mentions 3 things to keep an eye out for, so it seems to be the green stuff sample an enemy and somethng else, I forget what it was though, but I aint coming out til I get it. :)
You still down there  ^-^

I went back in due to not having found everything. Seems there were only two items to get
Spoiler
First is just before the bunker's hub cavern with the radio dish. Facing the part-open door into that area, you go right and the tunnel is partially collapsed. Around the corner from that you'll see a barrel of gree goo and a dead Brawler - that's sample one.

Two is a notebook in the control room section at the far left hand side of the central bunker/cavern that looks like a big cage. It's on one of the consoles.

You probably found them already, but just in case.

Another thing you're probably aware of by now...screamers. Don't let 'em, get too close as their scream incapacitates you and that tends to be a problem as they are rarely alone - plus they're fast...

About to enter the military base in Henderson, having received the military advice of: "...if they won't listen to you, blow the gate open and try to get them to talk to you then..."

Fiach

What I got was the goo, the second thing is a dead body nearby, but you cant interact with it, you have to wait for a voice message saying something or other about it, so that could be why I missed it before.

There is an area where the big tower is before the smugglers and there is a rather large control panel, I saw a box there with a large-ish white dot in it. I couldnt interact with it on either Purna or John, so I'm guessing thats it and it's bugged for me in some way.

I think its just a side quest though and a golf club is bugger all use to me so I'm not sweating it tbh, but thanks for clarifying it Jimi :)

Jim di Griz

Yeah, that dot on the console would have been the book. Thinking about it, it let me take twice from the goo and body section, so maybe there was a delay the first time and it only let me have one.

Yeah, the golf clubs are fun looking but not really a serious weapon at this level. I added the Inferno mod on an orange 65 level one but have yet to try it out.

Apparently there is a bit of an easter egg down in Halai. Next to the southernmost Dead Zone where you collect Marcus' toolbox, there is a yellow shack on the (EDIT:) east side of it - walk around to the back in the water and some broken slats will have the gears symbol that allow you to enter. Inside you'll encounter the Toolbox Midget, a Borderlands 2 reference apparently (going to give this a go myself now.)

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on May 07, 2013, 08:42:06 AM

Apparently there is a bit of an easter egg down in Halai. Next to the southernmost Dead Zone where you collect Marcus' toolbox, there is a yellow shack on the (EDIT:) east side of it - walk around to the back in the water and some broken slats will have the gears symbol that allow you to enter. Inside you'll encounter the Toolbox Midget, a Borderlands 2 reference apparently (going to give this a go myself now.)

Perfect direction mate got it first time, got an orange golf club lol :)

Art Blade

Jim di Griz

:) they do seem to like their golf clubs.

I see that the most popular weapons hacks from DI made it into DI:R as legit items too. I just found an M72 rocket launcher after defending the Cinema roof.

Quarantine zone, here I come...

Fiach

Finally got that aussie info for Kessler on this character, yeah it was where the white dot was with my other tries.

I dont remember any weapon hacks, I only used day/night cycle and storm mods and car headlights for DI, so I'm looking forward to that.

It would be great to be able to import the other way...eg get John into DI or have Ryder as a proper (with proper skill tree) character in either game, I would pay for that DLC.

Jim di Griz

I think the weapon hacks appeared more on the consoles once they were jailbroken, hence the choice of word 'hack' instead of modded. I did hear rumours of a jetpack mod on PC though.

Tried the M72 LAW out today - it is fun but I'll need to experiment a bit with it. It doesn't take a ram down in one, or a thug, which the sniper will do - well, for the latter it will. Probably best suited to crowd control instead  ;)

If you miss it on the cinema rooftop, don't worry as there is at least one other in the quarantine zone.

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on May 08, 2013, 02:38:11 PM
I think the weapon hacks appeared more on the consoles once they were jailbroken, hence the choice of word 'hack' instead of modded. I did hear rumours of a jetpack mod on PC though.

Tried the M72 LAW out today - it is fun but I'll need to experiment a bit with it. It doesn't take a ram down in one, or a thug, which the sniper will do - well, for the latter it will. Probably best suited to crowd control instead  ;)

If you miss it on the cinema rooftop, don't worry as there is at least one other in the quarantine zone.

Oh? I was at the cinema, now I have entered the army barracks, where in the cinema is it Jimi?

Jim di Griz

It's on the roof roughly in the middle between the workbench and the entrance down into the cinema, but won't appear until after the barracks mission is over - so you're still on time.

Having fun at the barracks?  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳