FXAA, SMAA color injector for Far Cry 2.

Started by Diwas Amatya, May 07, 2012, 09:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

fragger

Quote from: PZ on May 09, 2012, 08:31:33 PM
One last thing, there is a dx10 dll file that the mod will look for - if not there, will not provide improvement.

Well, I patched up the game AND reinstalled the Fortune pack but I still don't see the dropdown DirectX menu item in the game's display options. I did however get the message about the mod not being able to find the dx10.dll file (whatever it was called). The message popped up in a dialog and I selected OK, had to do this three times, then the game ran as per normal (but with no enhancement of course). Interestingly enough I didn't get that missing .dll message until after I'd patched the game up to v1.03.

PZ, I was looking at the DirectX update at Microsoft that you linked to earlier but it appears to be for DX9.0c (v9.29.1974). I'm kind of reluctant to mess with it as my DX Diagnostic says I'm already running on 11. If I ran that update, do you know if it would downgrade my DX version? I don't think it would but I'm not 100% sure. Sorry mate, I'm not much up on these sorts of things...

If I am already on 11 it's strange that I still don't get the DirectX option in FC2's display menu ????

It's no huge deal, I'm still quite happy playing with the original graphics.

PZ

Honestly I don't know, fragger.  Best not mess with your setting unless you are willing to live with the consequences.  I can say that I was working with the unpatched version of FC2 in which the DirectX options were not available, and when I switched to the patched version, there was the new menu item that allowed me to switch between 9 and 10.

However, I really don't care if I mess up my computer; as I become older, things matter to me increasingly less as I realize how short life is.

fragger

Thanks anyway PZ :) Agree, life's too short, and since I don't want to waste any of what I have left on avoidable PC restores, I'll stick with it the way it is :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Knightmare

Just make a backup image of the boot partition first (Acronis True Image + external HDD + bootable restore CD), so you can just restore it if you screw things up badly.

Many games (and I guess some game mod utils) require a special sub-version of DirectX to run that's not included with Windows or the standard DirectX installer.  This is the case with Crysis and Mass Effect, where the installer asks you if you want to install DirectX9 or 10 (which you already have), and if you choose no, you'll get an error message when you try to run it, saying "can't find d3dx9_xx.dll" or something like that.

fragger

Thanks for the tip Knightmare :) I actually do already have a backup of that - I just don't relish the prospect of doing a restore if things go pear-shaped, just for the sake of a mod :-()

I did notice something though. When I uninstall the colour mod by removing the relevant mod files from FC2's bin directory, the DirectX option in FC2's display menu then becomes visible. If I put the mod files back in the bin directory, the DirectX option goes away again. Remove the mod files and it reappears, etc.

So I tried removing the mod files from the bin directory, firing up FC2, changing the DirectX version to 10, getting out of the game, copying the bin files back into the FC2 bin directory and starting the game back up. Alas, I still get the missing .dll message and the mod won't w@&k, so it does appear to be some niggling DirectX sub-version thing.

C`est la vie ::)

TheStranger

I think these injectors are always either for DX9 OR DX10. Depends on the files you copy.

Plecky

Well, I'm playing in XP with DX9, and the color injector (really more of a mud remover) works pretty well. When I start the game, it pops up a window saying it can't run because DX10 can't be found, but the game continues to load and now the trees are green and the sky is blue.

I had no idea the ATV started out shiny and blue and gradually got muddier and duller until the whole thing was uniformly brown, for example. That's an improvement in my book.

Nekron

I used the skyrim fxaa post process injector because this mod didnt w@&k for me and i have to say the skyrim mod looks the best. it is so easy to install and it comes with a tool to tweak it to your liking. i made a pic of the 4 presets you can choose from. [smg id=4605 type=preview align=center caption="FC2 fxaa "]

PZ

That looks great!  Where do you get the skyrim mod?

Nekron

Quote from: PZ on August 03, 2012, 01:15:50 PM
That looks great!  Where do you get the skyrim mod?

From skyrim nexus http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/131  it looks really good in skyrim also. it works with just about anygame. Just make sure that you install it into the bin folder. you can install it again without having to delete any files to change the preset. i havent tried playing around with the customization tool for fc2 but it is really easy to use and it looks great.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks for posting, Nekron, and a hearty welcome from me as well!  :-X

Nekron

thanks guys im glad to be here and im glad i found this place.

Tags:
🡱 🡳