Strange day... once funny and once perplexing...

Started by PZ, March 14, 2009, 01:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakim

Spaceboy,

Thanks for the great idea. Especially the rotation thing. Will tell the son to create his own profile so that I can just over written the extra names.

Nice people & forum.....

Smith Lords

How can you kill your buddies!? Mine was mortally injured so i drove off to get some syrretes and when I came back he was gone. After that I actually cried. :'(

spaceboy

Hi Smith Lords, the only real reason to kill at least one of them is to unlock the 6th buddy in the north.  See other thread on this here (http://openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=121.0).  Although there have been instances where the buddies turn on you for no reason and start shooting.

But yeah, first time through I did everything in my power to save a buddy. 
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Nice one Smith Lords, go for syrettes and come back!
As spaceboy said, the only reason to kill at least one buddy is to have another one at Mike's in Leboa, who will give you two buddy missions.
Other than that, you just kill them if you want to.
One important thing, after your buddy get mortally injured 2 or 3 times there will be nothing to do. He / she will die no matter how many syrettes you give him / her!
I think devs made it like that so you could see a buddy die eventually!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

DKM2

The mercy killing thing was a nasty addition by the Devs.

The best way to get it done I've found is to complete the two best buddy missions
and then have a few accidental discharges at the end of a subverted main mission.
Friendly fire can happen to anyone, and for some reason if its Josip, or that cocky Warren guy, I don't feel to bad about it.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

spaceboy

I agree DKM2, it is kind of twisted they put it in there.  To make it even more twisted, on the PS3 there is a "Trohpy" system where all the games give you trophies for completing certain aspects or doing certain things.  Far Cry 2 has the "Good Night Sweet Prince" trophy for mercy killing a buddy.  Nothing like doing the deed with a tear in your eye...then "pling" you've received a trophy.  :-\

There were some great trophies that made me laugh on BF Bad company though.

PZ

Welcome Smith Lords,
I too was like you in my first few plays through - managed to save all my buddies, and that made me feel really good.  I couldn't imagine doing the mercy killing thing.

Hey spaceboy, I notice that you're now a Freelancer...

**SPOILER - don't read if you haven't completed the game**

However, the same buddies you so diligently saved in Leboa are destined to give you a nasty betrayal later...

spaceboy

Yeah PZ, two promotions in the same day! Global Moderator and Freelancer.

Smith Lords

Wow. 2 Promotions! That's like!...1...2! Whoah! 8)

PZ

Indeed!

Coincidentally, the Freelancer title is awarded automatically upon 250+ posts.

RedRaven

very strange, never had that happen to me yet, but 2nd time thru got to 50% and had not needed a rescue, when i did short while later was due to falling off big cliff, cant recall where exactly but had already killed every one so put a half dozen rounds from USAS-12 into back of Franks head just so he dint feel left out.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

When  was in he north, about to do my last mission before go south, I accidentaly jumped in front an assault truck and let them pierce me. I managed to throw a grenade right on time, so when I fell to the ground, they went into pieces. I wanted to meet Paul one last time to say hallo with my 6P9... couldn't leave the north and let him live ;)

Art Blade

I like the attitude - "just so he didn't feel left out." Could have been my line a couple of times :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

I originally posted this regarding Buddies on the GF forum, but after reading this thread, well, I guess I will be a little more complacent about helping them out in the future, going to be showing them alot of "mercy" from now on :)

My first WTF moment is just kinda annoying, its the only time I ever got annoyed with this game.

My first buddy was Paul Ferenc, eventually I did a subverted mission for him, where I had to come and help him, so I headed to the rendevous point and there was a fire fight in progress.

So I see theres not to many enemies, so I turn on Rambo Mode (tm), barrel into the place in an assault truck, crushing anything that moves, underneath its wheels, hop onto the trucks rear gun and do a spray and pray, then I get the "Mission Accomplished", "Save and Continue" message.

Awhile later I rescue this girl Flora (green top with a red star on it) and do a few missions with her and see my reputation going up, so checked my journal to see how this works, I was happy to see I had a rep of 10 with her, then I looked at Paul and saw a line drawn through his name (Mercy Killing), I was really annoyed the game didn't mention this at the time so I could have restarted the mission.

The reason for all that though is a later mission for Flora in the scrapyard, she gets wounded badly after I arrive, I pump three syrettes into her, but to no avail, she passed away quietly, I gently closed her eyes, so she could sleep the eternal sleep and got the "Goodnight sweet prince" achievement..

My point is, I reloaded the last save, just so I could prevent her death..... yes, I was willing to sacrifice 40 points, to save a game character.

I'm like WTF did I just do???????

Then later I see that I still have the 40 points! RESULT! : )

Awesome game though : )
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

spaceboy

good story.  xionyong got in the way of some bullets of mine too once and I didn't know it. 

Another time I used the flamethrower  on a truck with some mercs nearby shooting at Warren - only to have it explode which knocked out Warren too.  The blue smoke was coming right in the middle of the huge grass fire I had started and I couldn't get to him.  It was painful to watch and hear him call for help...  I reloaded and came up with a better plan.  :-\

Art Blade

Quote from: spaceboy on March 18, 2009, 06:13:13 AMNo snakes or other predators are present in game.

[smg id=637 align=center width=400]

not true  ;D ;D ;D (it's on a wall in a hut at the ranger station)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Foghorn Leghorn

I just experienced what PZ mentioned in the OP, but with a twist.

At first, it was helping Quarbani Singh after eliminating the Police Chief.  I raced back to help him, and spotted the blue smoke after clearing the area.  I headed over to him and grabbed him to help him, but it didn't even give me the option of giving him syrettes – just to mercy kill him or abandon him.  I had my full stash of 3 syrettes at the time, and Quarbani had never been injured before.

So then Paul Ferenc and Flora Guillen flip-flopped being my primary buddy and rescue buddy (both had about the same number of reputation points).  I headed over to help Flora just south of Mokuba after blowing up the supplies.  Same thing – no option to heal her (with all my syrettes and first time injured), I could only mercy kill her.  So I continued from last save – this time, she started shooting at me as I approached!  Well, seeing as I hadn't even met Michele yet, this got me upset enough to run her down in my jeep (women!).  That left Paul - he rescued me after falling off some rocks (impatient me), so he turned around and shotgun blasted me into next week!  I suppose that my stupidity deserved some sort of commentary, but geez.... :-[

Did anyone ever figure out why this is happening?

retiredgord

I must say that I haven't as yet had a buddy start unloading at me.  With this thought in mind, and the fact that 3 buddies from the north have been "abandoned", I'm left with ever increasing numbers to deal with later.
  I'm in the South and Have Nasreen, the NICE, Marty the Mouth and Xianyong, X-man as my "Best".  Well Mr. X, you foul-mouthed me once to often so when I went to the Airfield after doing ALL his dirty w@&k for him, I found he had finished the gunfight he was in.  I checked around and there were no mortars, snipers or other annoying mercs about...so I darted him not once but twice as he was cleaning his weapon.  No I wasn't playing nice, but he deserved it, as you will read in a later article.  But now...X MARKS THE SPOT.   HAHAHA

The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

I don't recall seeing a solution, nor a reason for buddies suddenly turning on you.  In my game, I just kept going, knowing ahead of time that when a buddy came to rescue me, I had to be sure to gun them down before they did me in.

JRD

I had that same problem... buddies shooting at me after recue  :P during my 2nd playthrough

Can't remember if you are a PC or PS3 guy Foghorn Leghorn, if on PC, uninstall and re-install fixed the problem.

Apparently, it's a well known bug, at least I read lots of posts on that subject at ubi.com.

Maybe the new patch fixes it for good

Foghorn Leghorn

I'm a PS3 guy, JRD - my laptop is almost 4 years old so it can barely handle Farcry 1.   :'(

I'm hoping this sorts itself out as I rescue more buddies.  Though it might make for a nice easy pass-through near the end.... ;)

PZ

Consider just trying old saves or start a new game and perhaps do a reinstall as a last resort.  The buddy shooting my character happened to me only once, and I don't recall what I did to fix it, but I just went past it and everything ended up fine.

I experienced the problem on the PS3

JRD

Playing on PC gives you the quick save option, which makes buddy rescue quite unnecessary.
I don't mind shooting my buddies, usually I don't allow me to be rescued  ;D.
Actually, I reinstalled my FC2 copy for other reasons, but it also fixed the buddy shooting issue  ;)
Finnaly, you can download one of the may saves dke58 posted in he download area or, as a last resource, tell us who are you playing as, percentage of game completed etc and we can try to arrange a save game for you, maybe it fixes the problem
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

RedRaven

more than happy to help out with any saves requests ayny one may have. in next day or two there will be andre halfway thru posted (act 1 - 2 cross over point), it follows on from his quick start, will post notice when its up, in process of sorting files and screen shots out (approx 8-9 gig and didnt really file them in any sensible order  :-\ !)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

KingRat

I'm noticing more glitches on the PC version than I did on the 360.

For example, last night I went to the cell tower just east of Outpost, got a mission to the port. On my way to the NE bus I released a buddy from Seidko and the 'mission accomplished' pops up? Didn't give it much thought and caught the bus. Getting off the bus the 'escape your attackers' message pops up? WTH? I'm already outside the boundry, take a step and 'you made it', check map and no target shows?

Ok, back on bus to same tower, get popup that says accepting will cancel previous mission, What mission? So I accept and get the same target which I finally complete :)

All the Jack tapes in Bowa give the same recording about the 18 year old kid with the shotgun. I got all 9 in Leboa, and 4 or 5 in Bowa but only have credit for 10 total?

There were more, but I don't want to bore you guys...Oh heck, as long as I'm on..........Ambush at unlocked safe house. I'm sure it's happened to all, but I liked this one. Before meeting Reuben at the lumber yard I was going around diamond mining. In the east sector around the Villa and OGC the last one is on the border just south of the safe house. So, I'm coming up the river and see a jeep, appears to be parked. I stealth my way up, and there it sits in the road with no driver around. Hmmm, I check the area, and head over to the safe house to find the driver standing by the front door ready to ambush me :D

Tags:
🡱 🡳