Favorite movie: Taken, with Liam Neeson

Started by PZ, October 17, 2012, 06:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Fiach

I really dont get why people like Liam Neeson, but each to their own :)

I liked Taken, I believe T2 isnt very good though.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

I also enjoyed Taken, good hard-justice, payback-type story and a bit of a departure for Liam Neeson, I thought. I didn't know there was a number 2.

I like him in some things and not in others. I saw him in this movie called The Grey recently. Neeson and a bunch of miners or oil drillers or something go down in a plane crash in Alaska, seven of them survive and have to try to get out while being hunted by a pack of wolves (yeah, right). The characters were all such unlikeable douchebags that I found myself not really giving much of a toss whether they made it or not ::) There were lots of overly long scenes which were no doubt drawn out just to make up the running time.

**Warning** Movie ending given away here, such as it is
One of those up-in-the-air endings that I hate in films. Neeson is the last one left alive and has to face the Alpha wolf. He gets himself ready to fight with it - the end :angry-new:

Dweller_Benthos

You must have missed the very end of the movie, after the credits:

The Grey - ending after credits HQ

Still not very satisfying, but there you go. FWIW, I didn't hang around to see if there were any after credits scenes when I saw it.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I've seen that kind of thing before - the credits roll and you think the movie is over.  I realized this one time when I let the DVD keep playing while I went to fix a snack; fortunately that took enough time to actually see the last part of the feature.

I also hear T2 is not so good; the story I heard was that the daughter plays a main role in saving the parents, which is just plain goofy.  Kind of reminds me of a stupid reality show that I watched recently.  I already forget the title, but the focus was that special forces members (Delta, SEAL, etc) were mentoring celebrities in fake military-style activities (shooting, running, Etc.)  Some lame beauty queen or model (can't remember) won the event and her comment at the end were words to the effect:

"... the best part is that I have shown that women can do just as well as these guys do..."

There is absolutely no way that a female could do what it takes to become a SEAL

Art Blade

The latest film with a scene after the credits was Battleship. Since I only watch films on DVD/BR I am glad to be able to watch the credits and once in a while those little surprises they keep for after the credits.. just nice  :) Back in the day when I used to go to the cinema I also hung around until the credits were completely through and once in a while a film would have that kind of surprise. Almost no people left, but those who were still there and watched that used to have a noticeable smile on their faces when leaving the cinema, almost as if saying, "we did see it"  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

You're right D_B, I didn't see that. Mainly because I disliked the movie so much that as soon as the credits began to roll I ripped the disk out in a fit of pique while muttering darkly to myself about the time I'd just wasted on it :-() That extra scene wasn't much chop, I'm glad I didn't waste even more of my time waiting for it.

Fiach

I didnt make it to the middle, let alone the end :)

Art Blade

I haven't even made it to the start  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

I'd never heard of it... ^-^

But back to Taken I liked it a lot - I was a bit sceptical before seeing it that ol' Liam could carry a hard-man action role (being a Jedi doesn't count) but he did a good job.

There is a definite trend around these days where actors are getting put into very different roles for a change. I like it.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Art Blade

which is the exact opposite of typecasting, the so called "Seagalism" :)

QuoteSeagal has repeatedly faced criticism from both critics and fans who accuse him of playing the same character in many of his movies, as well as displaying a lack of emotional range. In fact, some people refer to embracing typecasting as "Seagalism."
Source: IMDB, full Biography of Steven Seagal

PZ

Alas, Seagal played a fine part in his martial arts flicks in the early days, but due to his overweight nature and his sluggish martial movements, his roles today are not believable.

Art Blade

He is quite some character in real life and has a very interesting CV. His martial arts movements aren't that sluggish but hey, he's 6' 4" tall  :-() He holds the 7th degree black belt in Aikido and is Shihan (Expert License Certification for Master Level Instructors). He was the first foreigner in Japan to run a dojo (martial arts school).

I liked his early films until he felt compelled to convey some environmental messages which don't really fit the type of films he created. One of my fave films with him (due to the rest of the cast) is Exit Wounds.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on October 19, 2012, 05:49:50 PM
... Exit Wounds.

... I'm not familiar with that one - will need to check it out.  ;)

Art Blade

LOL you were posting while I edited in his height :)

Art Blade

Exit Wounds features less martial arts scenes than his average films but quite a bit of funny scenes. DMX plays the second lead role.

PZ

Art Blade

:) :-X I have the DVD for quite some time (along with maybe 5 more of his films) and Exit Wounds is one of those I keep returning to. Might have watched it 4 or 5 times already :)

Fiach

I was given the impression a long time ago, that his CV was erm.... less than truthful, he even said he was in the CIA for example.

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Fiach on October 20, 2012, 03:37:21 AM
...he even said he was in the CIA for example.
Ahhh...everyone says that... ;)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Fiach

I guess I just read what everyone says then :), I dont think I ever watched a full Segal movie tbh, I saw bits n pieces of them flicking through channels, but never seemed to get engrossed enough to watch them.

Just had a look at IMDB, the only name thats sticks out for me is Hard to Kill, so I may have seen that.

Tags:
🡱 🡳