Batman: Arkham City - first impressions

Started by JRD, November 25, 2011, 06:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Binnatics

...Holy mother... Am I really watching this cutscene AGAIN?? I thought I used to skip these before ????
Wow, you guys think I'm mad if I tell you I just saw these titties shake :o 8-X :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Okay, serious this time:
They customized the combat moves and possibilities a lot! Lots of different moves to choose from and of they also changed the keys to activate. Some basic fighting combos and keys haven't changed, so you do have some benefit of BM:AA experience. Also, the fighting situations are comparison, so there are not many surprises ^-^

All together, now that I'm beginning to manage the new fighting system a bit, I think the changes are for the best.
Some attack modes are easier to perform ('E' instead of 'lCtrl+RMB') but the amount had enormously increased. It seems that they have found logical combo's like e.g. the boost-grapple. Pressing space twice rapidly is easy to do when grappling through town. It feels all natural. Plus; when you aim right and boost-grapple where a thug is standing, you will instantly smack him down without extra button-pressing. Very cleaver ;)

So far no complaints, but to say that there are an awful lot of buttons to learn to manage. All the quicklaunch buttons for the gadgets, 'R', 'T', 'Y', damn it's gonna take time to get my 'fighting skills' back :-D

The open world way of moving through Arkham city is great. The open world aspect is real, and well thought out. Although the area isn't too big. But I can forgive them that, since it would be doable I guess to make it even bigger. Besides, the gameplay doesn't ask for more space. Well, as long as the Bat mobile doesn't get involved that is ;)
In fact, the first Batman was open world too, only there wasn't so much skillful moving outside which made it more like a collection of locations, free accessible through the Arhkam Asylum 'park'.
Besides that the side missions are well thought out and a pleasant extra imho.

I like the scene, the atmosphere of dark, sinister alleys and old A.A. Poe-like buildings. The gamesounds and the henchmen-talk makes it complete, and very recognizable. I like the fact that these Henchmen now can actually 'choose' for which badguy they wanna w@&k. I'll make them all run back to Joker at the end >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

I'm glad you are enjoying it, Binn  :-X

I agree with all you pointed out, it is a great game and I'm sure you won't be disappointed at all! As for the controls I customized some of them to make my life easier. Instead of double clicking 1,2,3,4, etc to quick fire gadgets I made it a single click so using those in combat are even faster.  ;) . Also I changed Y to antoer key so I can hit it easier too.

Looking forward to more impressions, mate! Enjoy Gotham.  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

Lol, I didn't know I could customize controls. That's great news!!
Gonna do some of the same adjustments I guess, since 'q' seems still unbound and quite 'in reach' ;)

Fiach

its 19.50€ on green men gaming if anyone is interested.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

I already tried to convince Art, which was a useless deed :-D

Art Blade

Absolutely. That isn't just a game I'm not interested in. It is a game about and around stuff I absolutely despise.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Sounds like this game could be a much tougher sell than Portal2, Binn ;) I'd suggest another contest but something tells me there wouldn't be any winners this time :-D

Binnatics

Same thought went through my mind Fragger :-D

Art Blade

I have a contest for two particular people (who keep trying to convince a certain third person). The ingredients for the contest are:

One barrel big enough to put two people in at once

and..

Extra-brutal genetically altered red fire ants to fill the space around said two people.
[smg id=3940 type=link align=center width=300 caption="Fire ants02"]

Anyone interested? I think we won't see any human winner in that contest, either.

>:D

PZ

Binnatics

Here's the requested Barrel:

[smg id=3943]

I hope the ant's size fits your imagination. If not, we can hire a bigger one, since Batman isn't afraid of anything >:D >:D >:D

fragger

Art Blade

fragger

Which is grammatically correct: two Batmans or two Batmen? ????

Binnatics

Maybe we should just say, two Batman wannabes :-D

Art Blade

I think both.

If a batman was something that usually only exists once, one of its type and kind, normally no more than one.. as if it wasn't really a man out of many men, then you'd regard it as a proper name (that happens to end in "-man" like talisman which correct plural isn't talismen but talismans) and just multiply it with an "s" as in batmans. So I think this sounds a bit awkward and just points out that you personally think "there can only be one" and make fun of that fact by calling more than one batman-s which is probably why you are wondering what to use :)

If batman was regarded as what he really is, a specific type of man of which there may exist more than one, then you'd say batmen just as you say henchman > henchmen.

Binnatics

Now that I'm done with all the things to do in the game, I'm reading all the content I missed so far about the Bat. Yesterday I read your rating, JRD, and today the first impressions. Had read some of it before I started, but I was far to excited about the game to keep reading all the posts. It was great though, reading through your detailed journal of Arkham City. I agree with all the different things you describe and it was great fun to follow your footsteps with my own memory at hand :-X :)
I too had difficulties with several henchmen with their damn shields and armours, and their knifes and, wow, these Rã's assassin babes are fast!!! I thought I would never manage these dodge tactics, let alone the combo takedown for these special knife attacks.
I also found the story somewhat confusing in the beginning, but had absolutely no problem with that, due to the entertaining gameplay. I love the riddler challenges. Damn smart things. I set myself to not 'cheat on the internet' to figure them out (funny how Riddler accuses you when you solve his riddles one by one ;))
I found it a relaxing way of further exploring the open world of Arkham. And these green henchmen that pooped up everywhere.... I can tell I was glad these didn't come back in the NG+. Had my belly full of green freaks on the streets  :-D

Arcca

Hey guys! I know, it would seem like a weird request, but can anyone send me their save game file at 4%?
There's something wrong with the game, I cant get past 3%. Impossible to skip cutscene, where Batman get's filled with Jokers blood, and the game hangs after it.
I even tried to re-play from the beginning, and the same thing happens. :(
Help me, please?

PZ

Unfortunately I personally can't help because I'm not playing the game, but other OWG members might have a saved game.

All I can say is welcome to the site!  ;)

JRD

Hello Arcca and welcome to OWG.

I don't have my gaming PC at the moment and even if I had it's not working properly. I should take it to the shop for some maintenance but it can take several weeks now, sorry mate.

There's another member who also plays B:AC, Binnatics, who might help you out.

Have you tried also the official game site?

Good luck!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

Arcca, welcome!!!

First of all, I guess I'll have to disappoint you as well. I don't have savegames present since I deleted the game after completing it (using a SSD and it occupies like 20Gb of space, and I DID play it enough already ;))
Second, I'm afraid a savegame wouldn't help you out since this is connected to your Games for Windows Live ID, which might prevent you from loading another savefile, but I'm not sure about that.

I would also suggest to visit the official game site and see if you can find answers or savegames there. Good luck. If you can't find any solution I can do a new install and play a bit (until after that cutscene) to see if it's possible for you to use it.

The best should be that you find out what's bothering your own install.  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳