Modding tools

Started by gibbed, September 11, 2011, 05:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Either you have been editing your post or I had temporarily gone blind.  :-()

JumpHeight and JumpHeightExhausted isn't the same. Just stick to Jumpheight ;)

I just now see that you've got another question about jump height.

I'll try to help you from a different angle now.

What you're looking at there is "code" or, sounds nicer, a programming language. Focus on "language." We use a language to talk to our computer. That language should ideally be quite similar to our own (English). We typically use stuff like "variables" or "strings" but to remember what they  are good for, we name them. For example "jump height" is the name of a box the PC looks into when you press the jump key. If that box contains "1" it lets you jump, say, 1 foot high. Because that box says so, because "jump height" = "1." So, under different circumstances, let's say while you're running downhill, you'll know that you can jump farther and higher in real life. You go one metre forward and 1 foot upward but the ground, downhill, isn't one foot away in one metre, it will be more. So to play it right, the programmer tells the PC "if he runs downhill and jumps, jump height of one doesn't feel right. Make it 1.17 instead" so the box "jump height" now contains "1.17"

See? It is basically just like that. Sometimes even I understand what's going on, sometimes I think someone must have been on shrooms and a barrel of cheap lager to write some of the stuff we get to see in that code. However, what you can do is: Try to find lines that seem to make sense to you. Like, "jump height." You'll be sure that it's got to do with jumping around and the values next to it will probably translate to either a metric or Imperial system so we can make sense of that, too, like "jump one foot high." Or one yard, what ever. Now, we may not always understand the language entirely but we may find keywords.

Find suitable, promising keywords and start changing their values, and don't go too far. If there is a "0.012" it is NOT recommendable to change that to "1000.00" -- instead try somewhat similar values, like "0.025" or "0.1" and see if you notice a change in the game. Increase or decrease the value, save, test, repeat..

That is the essence of modding.

Now, back to your question:

If you want so desperately to change your jump height and have failed so miserably, you may want to be more drastic. Since the file you're going to fiddle with is called "player" it is most likely that everything in it relates to the player, you. So, find ALL entries that seem to have to do with JUMP and change ALL their respective values significantly, like from 1 to 10.

Never forget to make backups and perhaps write down what exactly you changed. You won't know any more next month ;)

Now, after changing everything, run the tools, replace the old patch with your new mod files and go for it.

Keep in mind, however, for reasons unknown, I had the same problem: I changed it to 100, I jumped into the sky and broke the game play (too brutal) so I changed it back and edited only a little (from 1 to 5) but nothing happened. I tried some more but it didn't w%&k. So I left my changes in the mod but forgot about it.

And all of a sudden I jumped across a house.  ^+-+
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

makes sense in what you saying, I will play around a bit and see what happens    :-X

TheStranger

I had the problem that the files didn't change when they were in the mymod folder - so I put them under mypatch (and changed the .bat file of course) and then it worked.

nexor

Spoiler
[smg id=3720]
This is what my build.bat looks like when creating the two patch files, you guys would be able to tell if all is ok there

Art Blade

That's perfect.

The bit that might have you wondering ("ignoring...") just tells you that it found an entry of the same name (old entry) so it ignored it (because it was old) and replaced it with the duplicate one (you created) and therefore changed its content.

You've got a valid patch there.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

good, now why the heck can't I "jump"....... for crying out load    :'(

Binnatics

^+-+ ^+-+ ^+-+....snif.... ^+-+

I only read this topic every now and then, since I'm not really into modding yet. But damn, this is funny. Sorry nexor, it's just damn entertaining all this :-X

Funny sidenote: Maybe all the changing you did somehow has affected MY computer, because since a few weeks the characters in my FC2 install act quite weird. First, they started to move back and forth very quickly, like they had their buts itching. Then they started to shake their heads, and if their heads refused to shake, their eyes started rolling from left to right (serious, no joke)
Now just today I started a new playthrough (3rd, couldn't think of something else to do :-D) and during the drive to Pala I noticed various mercs and refugees jump like they were on a pogo stick ??? :o
They first jumped let's say, 3 or 4 feet high, but eventually I saw one jump at least 3 meters high :o :o
It was a merc, and when the other guy called him in to speak about the beer, his jumps changed like the ones of a bounsing ball, getting smaller and smaller but very fast. When he spoke about the beer his weird jumping  disappeared.
Maybe you should add 'drink beer' somewhere between "player.xml" and "jump.parameter" :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

It might be funny from this end here, too, if it hadn't been me trying to solve that funky stuff going on over at nexor's rig. It is kind of beyond oar control and completely incomprehensible.  :'(

Binnatics

I can imagine  ^-^
I'm rather happy with my role as public 8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

i'm sure my game is jinxed  ???  I had to re-install this very same game because of that!! The reason how I got introduced to OWG, I was in the game attempting to retrieve a diamond case from the roof of a shack, next to the shack was a legless couch and an old beatup car, so i figured the only way to get onto the roof of this shack was to jump onto the couch then the roof of the car and then the roof of the shack  :-X
Easier said than done............after almost passing out about ten times attemting to jump onto the couch  :D
I went looking for asistance on the internet and stumbled upon OWG   :-X
After reading all.....and I mean "ALL" posts I was none the wiser, seems like no one had the same problem   :-(
So I did the only human thing, I asked  :-\
Some "very" intelegent member responded to my question, and you know what he said I must do?????

Spoiler
He said "JUMP"......... :D :D

Spoiler
my response was, "what the f@#k do you think i've been doing all the time  \:/
So yes this jump thing is kind of funny :-D :-D

Binnatics

So am I right that you started this whole modding thing to get that final diamond at the shack-roof you netioned?
I really hope you will finally manage to jump high enough.
This topic is a big succes allready anyway ^+-+

...urhhmm, nexor, I've felt so free to... euuhh mod you custom title a bit :-D :-D :-D

PZ

nexor

will get you for that one Binn............. \:/

Aren't you supposed to be in the kitchen.....??    :-D

Art Blade

mmmmmmmmmhrrhmmmrhmmm.. 

MMmmmmmMMhhhmmmmpfffffff..

MmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMhhrrrhmmmmmmhrmm..

mmmMMMmmmmmmmmahaha...

HUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

^+-+ ^+-+ ^+-+

Binnatics

nexor

Just started a new game from the beginning, while on my first mission I attempted jumping, at first no change and suddenly I jumped so high I knocked the guy on moon off his chair...... ;D  comming down I hit the ground so hard I allmost had to catch a plane from Beijing International        :-D :-D

Have to do some modifications to my landing gear             :-() :-()

Binnatics

Art Blade

you see.. same thing that had happened to me.  :) Glad it works now, matey  ;) :-X

nexor

Thanks to you guys yes   :-X
I played around with the settings and kept on reducing the float strength untill I got to 4, now I don't die everytime I jump
<value name="fJumpHeight" type="Float">4</value>
<value name="fJumpHeightExhausted" type="Float">0.4</value>

Spoiler

PZ

You could also try changing the value of fall damage - I did that and now don't die when I accidentally jump too high or off something too tall.

nexor

I usually don't jump down from high spots, with the high setting I found it very difficult to jump on to something not very high, with the setting of four it makes it very comfortable jumping onto low objects.

shelmez

Thank you very much for the theme and the program Sir Gibbet)))) I live in Russia, and so I apologize for my language. I am very pleased that interest in this wonderful game has not died. And I hope that soon there will be interesting modes that would play it again. Of course I remove the binding of weapons to slots, but I understand that it is almost impossible to do. I am very difficult to properly understand how to use the program because I can only use machine translation (((Is it possible to make a video tutorial? And in what file you can change the Number of rounds of ammunition in the store, such as what would become 250 M249 ammunition, not 100 ? thanks in advance and a big hello from cold Russia))))
rascal, womanizer and eater of pigs))))

nexor

shelmez I think I speak for all of us, there is no need to apologize for your "language" you are amongst friends and english is not the mother tongue for a number of members here, so welcome.    :-X       I will try to translate for you.......
Я думаю, что говорю от имени всех нас, нет необходимости извиняться за ваш ​​"язык" Вы среди друзей и английский не является родным языком для количества членов здесь, так что добро пожаловать   :-X

Art Blade

Welcome to OWG, shelmez :)

Nice to have you with us, you're the first Russian who launched himself into our space  :-() Don't worry about your language, as long as we understand one another, everything goes  :) :-X

Hehe, now I can't read whether what nexor wrote is utter crap or good information  :-D

nexor

just have to wait and see how or if he responds, that way we'll know if what I wrote is utter crap or not   :lol

Tags:
🡱 🡳