Modding tools

Started by gibbed, September 11, 2011, 05:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on February 05, 2012, 05:04:10 PM
^-^

I just hope he doesn't leave a glowing trail like my avatar where he slid his tongue across  :-D

Maybe not glowing, but you never know exactly where a poodle's tongue has been  :laugh:

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheFishlord

Alright I did a reinstall, patched up to 1.03, and put the DLC on...no difference. I tried running the .bat before the patch, and it said that it could not detect patch.fat, so that seems necessary. I doubt the DLC would be causing this though, so I don't know what's going on...

PZ

I've been thinking about this problem and am stumped.  The only thing I can think of is a permissions issue.  Are you running the batch file using an administrator account?  Do the folders have "write" permissions?

nexor

The first time I tried the mod I had a similar problem so I uninstalled the patch 1.03 which I got from Game Copy World and download and installed the Steam version which seemed to solve the problem

PZ

You mean the Steam patch?  I think I remember gibbed saying something about Steam - maybe that's the solution.

TheFishlord

Yep that fixed it. Installed the regular 1.03 patch, then installed the Steam patch over that, now the .bat runs fine. Now I've corrected the ROF for a lot of weapons...gotta see if I can get them to w@&k right now...

Question - I've found the places to adjust just about everything except damage, accuracy, and magazine capacity, anybody know where those are?

PZ

Check this article for most of what you're after.  I changed the magazine capacity, but don't remember how - I'm fairly sure it is in these posts.  I'll see if I can find the post when I get a chance.  ;)

EDIT: I lied - I was only able to change the bandoleer values, which allows you to hold as many rounds as you want, but does not change the number of rounds for each magazine.

nexor

Quote from: TheFishlord on February 16, 2012, 06:03:27 PM
Yep that fixed it. Installed the regular 1.03 patch, then installed the Steam patch over that,

Glad you got the problem solved mate, oh by the way welcome to OWG.... :-X

TheFishlord

Well, I've been really going to town on the modding scene, I've got most of the weapons' damage corrected for their real steel values and ROF's. (I used the kinetic energy ratings of the bullets for each weapon)

Trouble is, now they vary between ridiculously weak bullets (like the 9mm in the Uzi, MP5) that have a damage rating of 0.4, and super powered bullets like in the G3 and FAL. Since a damage rating of 5.0 is a one shot kill with any hit, I thought I could save that for the AS50 (its impact energy is over ten thousand joules more than any other in the game... >:D). I gave the M1903 4.5, that's still  too powerful. Sigh...this is going to take a lot more FC2 marathons than I thought to make things w@&k.  ^-^

Also need to increase reliability across the board, with a ROF of 1000 rpm you would not believe how fast the M249 blows up in your hands. Same with the AR16.

Some, I know how I could balance them, but I don't know how to actually change them - I converted the FAL to semi-automatic as the British used them, now I want to switch it out with the G3, so that the first weapon in the game you get is a semi auto, high power rifle. In Act 2 then the G3 can arrive as a full auto version, but with higher recoil. Need to figure out how to make the 9mm weapons actually viable, balance things out a bit...

My currently pressing issues - need a good way to adjust accuracy, magazine capacity, and switching the unlock order of weapons. Any pointers? I believe the "WeaponClass" value has something to do with when they're unlocked, but I'm not entirely sure...need to do more testing. Once I get all this worked out I'll release a patch for everybody to try out.

Oh and nexor... :-() I actually only joined 10 days after you, but I've been lurking for a year or so now   8)

PZ

Wow!  sounds like you're really using the scientific approach to fixing the weapons physics  :-X

Although I've played with many of the values, there were quite a few that didn't seem to make a difference when changed.  Although I made all my weapons available for negligible cost (1 diamond each), I did not see a way to change the order.  However, I think I saw an area where the act 1 and act 2 weapons were listed - perhaps this is an area to play with.

nexor

Between PZ and ART they did a mod where all the weapons are unlocked and you can purchase them at one diamond each........

TheFishlord

OK I've got a list of stuff I've done so far...just getting into the merc spawning patterns, and I think I can do a lot with it. This is my "readme", were I to release it now.

-M16 is now fully automatic. ROF increased to 850 rpm.
-PKM ROF increased to 650 rpm.
-MGL140 ROF increased to 180 rpm. Currently; there is a value of "busy time" somewhere, that prevents firing during that time after a shot; this mechanism overrides the rate of fire.
-M249 SAW ROF increased to 1000 rpm.
-G3KA4 ROF increased to 600 rpm.
-SPAS12 ROF increased to 240 rpm. Same issue as the MGL140, currently.
-Springfield M1903 damage increased to 4.5. It is now almost always a one-shot kill except when hitting hands and feet, and is used as a baseline for other weapon changes.
-Dragunov SVD damage increased, then nerfed to 3.8.
-Desert Eagle damage decreased to 2.25 to match real-steel power.
-PKM damage increased to 4.5, then nerfed to 3.75 after examining further ballistic data.
-M16 damage increased to 2.1 to account for increased barrel length.
-AK47 damage increased to 2.75 to account for boat-tail design.
-G3, FAL damage increased to 4.
-USAS12 damage increased to 3.
-FAL converted to semi-auto.
-FAL and G3, plus their respective costs and manuals, swapped. Mercs (and buddies) will spawn with the FAL, then the AK47, then the G3.
-Starting max syrette count increased by one at every difficulty level.
-At level 20 and beyond, 1 in 7 "shotgun mercs" (and buddies) will be equipped with a USAS12.

The merc weapon loadouts have a lot of potential. I'm planning on giving all mercs a shot at the "elite" weapons of the game - the player gets them, why wouldn't the Jackal and his subsidiary weapons dealers sell to the warlords as well? So rocket launcher mercs will eventually have a chance of being armed with an MGL140, assault mercs with a flamethrower (I want to see how the AI handles that... :-()) or M79, snipers with an AS50.

One problem I've noticed, that irks me a little, is the semi-automatic sounds. Weapons like the M16 and sniper rifles were implemented into the game with the thinking that single shots would be a useful trait. Their sounds are correct.

Most other weapons seem to package their sounds in "bursts" of three shots each. (Many games do this, for instance in COD: Modern Warfare 1 and 2, in the slow-motion killcams, a single shot would cause the sound of three shots to play. MW3 has fixed this, but FC2 was made before this issue was really noticed) So if you hold down the trigger on the FAL, you will fire one shot, but will hear about two and a half. I can fix this but it seems that it will involve going into the .lua files, which I am not sure I want to (or am able to) touch yet.

Another side effect of this problem is that the ROF of most weapons does not audibly change with their actual values. The M249 had an increase of a whole 275 rpm, but still sounds the same because of this method of playback.

Overall I'm very pleased with these changes. Weapons feel a lot more deadly, and even on Hardcore, mercs really are a force to be reckoned with. I have to scope the place out before I attack and use cover a lot more often, because now those rifles really pack a punch.

So anyway, I'm going to keep working on this, if you want a copy as it is now, just let me know.  ;)

chiconspiracy

Hello all, noob here.

I too am trying to create a realistic weapons set. I was instantly disgusted that the g3 you start with is about as powerful as the weak pistols, while firing the same damn round as the bolt action sniper rifle (a one hit kill to the torso)

In "C:\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2\modding\libraries\world1" I copied the following attribues from the Dragunov and added it to the g3, fal, and ak47, save the file, and added it to my patch.

<value name="bSingleHitHealthFailure" type="Bool">True</value>
           <value name="fHealthFailureChanceModifier" type="Float">1</value>
            <value name="selHitLocation_Torso_Severity" type="UInt32">3</value>
            <value name="selHitLocation_Limb_Severity" type="UInt32">2</value>

This lets you kill/critically wound with a chest shot, and cripple them with one limb shot.

In addition, I tried increasing their effective range (again copied from the dragunov:

<value name="vectorEffectiveRange" type="Vector2">
              <x>60</x>
              <y>80</y>
            </value>
            <value name="vectorEffectiveRangeIS" type="Vector2">
              <x>80</x>
              <y>100</y>

I'm fairly sure this worked, I'm registering hits from far away.

Now the problem I'm having now is accuracy. I assumed it was controlled by this:

<value name="fAngleYawBulletSpread" type="Float">0</value>
            <value name="fAnglePitchBulletSpread" type="Float">0</value>

This was the dragunov (nearly perfect aim) attributes, and I put this under the g3 and fal as well. Has anyone had any luck with this? My G3 and even the Fal are shooting with a very noticeable spread.  :D

Art Blade

Welcome to OWG, chiconspiracy and thanks for posting.. very interesting :)

I would have thought the same as you regarding those parameters controlling accuracy.  ????

TheFishlord, good to have you back and active and thanks for your efforts there, nice  :) :-X

Oh and.. you were away long enough other people thought you were new to the site which I'd interpret as, "bloody do something about that" :-() Hehe
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Quote from: TheFishlord on February 18, 2012, 06:40:15 PM
-M16 is now fully automatic. ROF increased to 850 rpm.

What I'd realy like is to have the M16 mag increased to at least 50 rounds, the more the better, since it got modded to full auto it has become my favourite, and having more rounds in the mag will make this weapon unstopable

fragger

Nice modding w@&k there, chaps :-X

@TheFishlord, I was glad to see that you upped the ROF for the MGL140. I like the weapon but was never happy with the default ROF, it's way too slow with that firing delay you mentioned. The real thing is like just about any other semi-auto weapon in that it will fire as rapidly as you can pull the trigger. The real ones also carry six rounds as opposed to four in FC2 and have the nickname "the six-pack attack". Dunno why they reduced the mag cap to four in the game.

@chiconspiracy, welcome aboard and thanks for the cool contributions :)

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on February 19, 2012, 03:24:44 PM...and thanks for the cool contributions :)

Right you are.. and here's a slap on the back, chic  :-X :-()

chiconspiracy

Has anyone successfully used the weapons manuals to achieve near perfect accuracy? I'm attempting a 400% improvement, but for some reason the weapons operations manuals were all unlocked, and I have no idea why. I want to start hitting people with my fal or g3 with single placed shots while being further than 50 feet away..

As for clip size, I notice a multiplayer bandolier file that shows clip size, but nothing for single player.

PZ

I've played with the accuracy, but there seems to be a limit beyond which the numbers don't appear to have an effect.  As to the bandoleers, that is strange - I had to unlock them deliberately.

It sure would be nice to have increased accuracy - hope you find a solution!

TheFishlord

Anybody know how to directly open a .dat or .fat file?

The reason I'm asking is that I've found another FC2 mod online called "FC2 Rewards" that modifies the recoil.

Whenever I try to add 42_weapons.xml to my patch, the game crashes when I load a save. Apparently this Rewards mod does change recoil values, so I want to open it up and see how he did it. But when I use the ArchiveViewer, I don't get the 42_weapons file, I only get stuff that is pretty much useless for modding anyway: graphics folders, UI, etc. Basically the stuff we don't need to and don't want to mess with. I've tried installing the patch into my FC2 copy, then running bootstrap to create a new "library" out of it, but it always comes up with the error I had originally (look up at my previous posts for what exactly that was).

Perhaps it's just that I have the retail version and not the Steam one. Could someone else with the Steam version try this and upload his files so I can look at them? In particular I want to look at everything that normally shows up in the mymod and mypatch folders.

Like I said, I believe you could just paste his patch over the regular one, run boostrap, and you would get the library that is actually useful for modding. But I can't get to those useful files as it is now.

The mod in its various versions is here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/far-cry-2-rewards/downloads

Any help would be greatly appreciated - my mod is almost complete, except for recoil modifications. Can't release it until that gets taken care of  :-(

nexor

Sorry mate I also have the retail version

TheFishlord

Fixed the problem, never mind. Well, I didn't, but I figured something else out so I don't really need it anymore. Thanks.

YIYO

Hi
Sorry for bump, but i have no choices ...
when I double-click bootstrap.bat, give me this error: "Could not detect Far Cry 2 install directory. bootstrap failed."
I'm using win7 64 bits.
Far Cry 2 retail.
Wich  .net version do i need? maybe i have the wrong one.
Thanks for revive openworldgames .  :-X

Art Blade

Welcome to OWG, Yiyo :)

Not sure if this helps:
Quote from: gibbed on September 11, 2011, 05:03:24 PM
Bootstrap

To make things easy for everyone, I created a little bootstrap package which will set things up so you can easily create patch packages.

Bootstrap, revision 60 (requires .NET 4.0)

Extract this, preferably to X:\Path\To\Far Cry 2\modding

You'll want to run bootstrap.bat which will set everything up automatically.

Tags:
🡱 🡳