Little tutorial

Started by Art Blade, August 29, 2011, 06:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Problem with that file solved:

LITTLE TUTORIAL

If you want to change files other than those residing in mymod's patch folder you need to sort of clone the original folders locations (create them inside the mypatch folder, not the mymod folder) and place copies of the files you want to alter in there.

Practically this means:

If you want to change stuff in "gamemodesconfig.xml" which originally resides in "..\Far Cry 2\modding\original\patch\engine\gamemodes\" you need to create "\engine\gamemodes\gamemodesconfig.xml" inside "mypatch"

-> ..\Far Cry 2\modding\mypatch\engine\gamemodes\gamemodesconfig.xml

where you can then do whatever changes you like. Then run the build_patch.bat which will create the patch.dat and patch.fat files inside \Far Cry 2\modding\ so you can copy those freshly created patch files to \Far Cry 2\Data_Win32\ (careful not to override your original patch files there -- simply rename the extensions (.dat, .fat) to something like patch.steamdat and patch.steamfat so FC2 won't load them any more.

Done.  ;D

I did alter some of the hit multipliers quite heavily and have to say, whoa. Shooting with my 6p9 and Silent MP-5 now IS FUN, BIG TIME  >:D ^+-+ :-X

Now I need to go back and find out if I can strip some of the rubbish down  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 29, 2011, 06:52:52 PM
...I did alter some of the hit multipliers quite heavily and have to say, whoa. Shooting with my 6p9 and Silent MP-5 now IS FUN, BIG TIME  >:D ^+-+ :-X
I want single shot kills with my 6P9 and single shots with the MP5 wouldn't hurt (me) either  :-()

TheStranger

Quote from: Art Blade on August 29, 2011, 05:41:05 PM
Stranger, I found an error in your code:

<Attribute type="range" value="1,5" /> the value should be 1.5 (1 point 5) (yeah, damn separators ;) )

And for some reason I can't make changes to my gamemodesconfig.xml without the build.batch to crash. I can change any file but it won't accept that particular file, even if I extract it from the original patch and leave it unchanged in my patch folder. That file causes a crash god knows why. I'll try a reboot, sometimes.. you never know. ????

Oh thank but what I saw it was nonetheless displayed correctly (and gave no errors), but to be sure I'll changed the kommas to points.  Or it doesn't matter if you make points or kommas?

Does the gamemodesconfig now w@&k for you now that you put it in the mypatch folder?

Art Blade

A comma and a full stop (point) do have different meanings in maths and information technology so the outcome will be different:

1,5 means for example a set consisting of 1 and 5 (read one 1 and one 5) the comma being a separator
1.5 means 1 and a half (read 150%) the "dot" there is a decimal point

So if you randomly use them, you either get the program to misinterpret (in your case probably as 1.0 ignoring the 5) or to crash.  :)

My file problem is solved so yes, it works, thanks for asking :) Still a bit strange because other files can be processed right where we expect them to belong, for instance:

\Far Cry 2\modding\libraries\world1\30_player.xml

can be copied, renamed and placed like this for the mod to w%&k:

\Far Cry 2\modding\mymod\patch\player.xml

edit:
If you add files to the patch folder, in order to w@&k, you need to adjust the patch.xml file. Like this:
You now have a player.xml in the patch folder. Go back to the mymod folder and change the file in there as follows:

\Far Cry 2\modding\mymod\patch.xml

Open the file with a text editor and look for the last entry (22_weapons):

<object external="22_weapons.xml" />
</object>

just copy that line and paste it below, then replace the entry "22_weapons.xml" with "player.xml" like this

<object external="22_weapons.xml" />
   <object external="player.xml" />
</object>

Save and exit, done. If you have other and more files there, just add them to the list as you just did with player.xml :)

As for stripping down code, no luck. The resulting patch didn't w%&k.  :( But I think I know why. What we have before we mod is FC2 with a patch (1.03) that uses exactly the same file names as we do when we create a mod. So, stripping down code results in a crippled patch..  ;) By the way, I only needed WinXP for the initial program execution (bootstrap) and from there on I can continue with W7  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on August 29, 2011, 01:07:54 PMOh, and also "bin-rev52.zip"

Wrong. To me it looked as if it was an independent update of files used by bootstrap and only just now it dawned on me that I got it wrong so I checked the file dates in both archives of the mod programs.. The bootstrap is v60 and newest as of now, so the posts on that forum were misleading. The bin-rev52 is outdated and the bootstrap v60 contains all the newest and all relevant files. Why don't they clarify that  ^+-+  :D

Tags:
🡱 🡳