gamemodesconfig.xml changes

Started by Art Blade, August 30, 2011, 06:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWGKID

I found the mission payouts in the same file  :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
LEGACY

Art Blade

so you can do one mission and retire?  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Yup  :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() :-() The file resides in the common.dat and I have run into problems with FC2, text is replaced by blank and dialogue is not working after I deleted the original common.dat and replaced it with a new one :D :( Should I copy the gamemodesconfig.xml to the mymod/mypatch folder instead? Reinstalled FC2 the second time now  :D :D I feel stupid if I'm doing something wrong :o :o :o :'( :'(
LEGACY

Art Blade

make backups.. don't just delete or replace files without a backup ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Quote from: Art Blade on January 01, 2015, 09:30:54 AM
make backups.. don't just delete or replace files without a backup ;)

Good point :-X :-X I always did that when I modded FC3  ;) ;)
LEGACY

PZ

I just copy the files leaving them in the same location, but simply changing the name of the copied file, for example common.dat$

OWGKID

Could someone here please tell me where I need to insert gamemodesconfig.xml in the patch.xml file? I don't know were I should a new line to make the changes w@&k. Btw I decided to give the mercs MP5s, IEDs, 6P9s, LPO-50s and the AS50  >:D >:D >:D >:D :-() :-() :-() :-()
LEGACY

JRD

I place it at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Far Cry 2\modding\mypatch\engine\gamemodes.

I'm on STEAM so if your not then you may have to change the directories a little bit, but no big deal. If you don't have the folders "engine" and "gamemodes" inside "mypatch", create it and copy the modified gamemodesconfig.xml into there. Once you build the patch and replace the .dat and .fat files it should be running next time you fire the game.

First time I tried it it didn't w@&k but using PZ's file I managed to play the modded game so the file is good.  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

OWGKID

I have the Steam version too, but the mymod folder doesn't have the folders "engine" and "gamemodes". I'll try it out  :-() Thanks for the help :-X IT WORKS  :-()
LEGACY

PZ

:-X

Let us know how those mercs make use of the weapons.  I can only imagine the area snipers having use of the AS50 - especially if you have modded the damage  :-()

OWGKID

FC2 decided to CRASH when I started a new campaign... Seems like I duplicated the "gamemodesconfig" folder causing the game to crash...  :D :D I didn't increase damage on the AS50 so it will be interesting to see  ;) ;) :-() :-()
LEGACY

PZ

Likely in it's native format, the AS50 would take out the player with very few shots.

It will be interesting to read of your experiences with the mercs.  :-X

OWGKID

The game crashes with my new patch when I start a campaign...  :'( :'( :'( :'(
LEGACY

PZ

Interesting - what version of FC2 does your game report?

OWGKID

Quote from: PZ on January 03, 2015, 11:38:11 AM
Interesting - what version of FC2 does your game report?

Version 1.03 and I'm using Bootstrap revision 60
LEGACY

PZ

Sounds like you are using the proper version for the tools.  I'm at a loss as to why a new campaign will not w@&k.  This is a long shot, but you might try my patch files to see if you cans start a new campaign - if so then there might be version issues.  If not then there are folder issues, or coding issues in the xml.

Interestingly, I usually start a new game from the point where you exit the Church in Pala - bypassing all the tutorial parts, which I do not need.  My game works perfectly when I do this, but I cannot edit my xml and generate a new patch.  I assume this is because I have an earlier version of the "official" game before the patches to 1.03.

OWGKID

Can file sizes increases cause problems? I have observed when I packed the common_unpack folder back to common.dat, it increased from 102 000 kB to 106 000 kB and the game bugged (text appearing blank/no sound). The game works perfectly when I used the original unpacked file. There is no coding issues in the xml files, I don't get any errors from the tool during creation of a patch.
LEGACY

Art Blade

you should only alter patch.dat and patch.fat (that's how you mod, you create a new patch)

OWGKID

]

Yeah, that also causes problems, the patch.fat I get from the tools is 10,8 kB big, the original fat file is 10.018 kB. My custom patch doesn't w@&k with the game sadly  :( :( :(
LEGACY

Art Blade

In this particular case, "size doesn't matter" is true. :) I used various patches of various sizes.

OWGKID

For now, I have only altered the patch files, but it still doesn't w@&k. Game crash when I try to start a new campaign/load a save with my custom patch.
LEGACY

Art Blade

Maybe you modded too much (too many things) at the same time and cannot tell which change causes the crash. If I were you, I'd start step by step, making backups every time, and see that the fist change I wanted actually worked and then I'd add a new change, test it, and so forth. Otherwise you'll never know what caused the crash and cannot revert to a previous iteration.

Best way to start is using an existing (simple) mod and make changes to that, like if it was a weapon sound change, change the sound again to something different and test it. Then add something to that mod the way described above. Like that, you should be able to create a bigger mod over time.

OWGKID

You're probably right. I'm modding the gamemodesconfig.xml, 41_weaponproperties and 25_OA_MissionPickups at the same time. Could be some issues with one of them during patching.
LEGACY

Hell Diguner

Clean out your mod directory, replace your modded patch.fat/dat with the vanilla ones, make sure you're an admin with write permission in the Far Cry 2 directory, and reinstall Gibbed's tools. Running Bootstrap.bat will run the various other programs in tools in such a way that build_patch.bat will w@&k correctly. You're on your own if you try running the individual programs in "tools," I haven't found any documentation on them and haven't played around with them much.

Gibbed's Tools
http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=2390
Modding Tools - FC2:SPModding

Using the tools
http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=2387.msg43986#msg43986
Help! - FC2:SPModding

Recreating a nonexisting file structure
http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=2370.0
Little tutorial - FC2:SPModding

Also: mymod and mypatch folders are what the patch builder reads. If you add a new xml to mymod\patch\ (for example, m30_player.xml from libraries\world1\) you also need to tell the patch builder to actually include them by adding the new xml file names to mymod\patch.xml
  <object external="20_vehicle.xml" />
  <object external="21_WeaponProperties.xml" />
  <object external="22_weapons.xml" />
  <object external="m30_player.xml" />
</object>

While the above works, you're actually supposed to copy the file structure from libraries\ to mymod\ for stuff you're going to change. So if you want to add m30_player.xml to your mod, technically you're supposed to put it in mymod\world1\ and also copy world1.xml from libraries\ to mymod\ . If that crashes, try removing the references to files in mymod\world1.xml that don't actually exist in mymod\world1\
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

OWGKID

Thanks for the links, bro :-X It is the gamemodesconfig.xml that is probably bugging the patch :D. I have the folders engine and gamemodesconfig in the "mymod" folder only. Cheers! Now, the mercs walk around with M79, IEDs, Gold AK47s, MP5s and more weapons  :laugh:
LEGACY

Tags:
🡱 🡳