Game rating: Mirror's Edge

Started by JRD, September 04, 2011, 11:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Game title
Mirror's Edge

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line3Near future, a place usually referred to as simply "The City" is under an opressive regime and all information is controled by the government. Runners are hired to take information from one place to another away from the government. You play as Faith, a Runner that have to prove her sister is innocent after she get framed by the murder of an important person.
If it sounds original to you, then you should read more, watch more TV and browse the internet more often.
Graphics6As in any linear game, what you see in the distance looks good but is probably a low resolution wall paper. The areas where you get to play are well polished though but the world seems a bit empty. Even if you are mostly running on rooftops or underground the areas you play could feel a bit more populated.

What I really like about ME visuals are the colors they put together. As a Runner you have a Runner Vision which will highlight your path and objects you can use to move around in red. Everything else will be a combination of a bright, clear white and another vivid color like lime green, orange, blue etc. It gives ME a clean and fresh look.

Another thing I really like is seeing Faith legs and hands as I play. It adds a lot to immersion in a first person plattform game which is otherwise ruled by third person perspective.
Sound5Sound follows pretty much what the graphics does for the game. Hearing Faith breath while runnig is a nice touch that also adds to immersion but other than that, nothing special.
Game play5Here's where the game feels like it devs could have w%&k a lot more to create a whole game in my opinion. There are absolutely no variety in gameplay. All you do is... run, jump, run, jump, fall, die, rinse and repeat. One single path to go and nothing else to do, no side missions, no exploration, no nothing.... and the worst part is when you get to fight the police who is after you... combat is just frustrating. ME is not meant to be a shooter so I can live with the fact that Faith is not good at shooting people and if shot or hit twice she'll die, ok, but if you have to approach a guy with a shotgun and disarm him in a split second then make it a bit more forgiving. A lot of trial and error is required to do that and you'll find yourself doing the same thing over and over till you get it right in each and every chapter.
Replay value3You can replay levels as a speedrun, meaning you can try to beat the level faster, which is easier once you know where to go. That's all.
Frustration level10I found myself doing the exactly same thing over and over and over... I gave up many times to avoid punching my PC

Final thoughts
Mirror's Edge is a game that could have been great but it's not. It seems like they had a good idea to start with but never bothered improving that idea so they stuck with what someone brainstormed on a tuesday afternoon meeting and turned it into a game.

Too bad, there is good potential in ME but I guess we'll never see it making to a sequel.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Very comprehensible  :)  it reflects what I had gathered over time about the game.

Pity they had a brilliant idea, gone to waste. We get the bones but miss the meat and gravy  :-\\
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

I only played it for a short time, I didnt really enjoy it either, sorry you didnt like it mate :(
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

Dont be sorry, I'm not  ;D

I knew what I was getting when I bought ME and I only bought it because it was on a end of the year sales STEAM put up every year, so no harm done on my
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳