FC2 revival (yet another playthrough)

Started by Art Blade, June 13, 2011, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Sounds like fun!   Need to use an unpatched version of the game though.  Might be worth it to get rid of the "boots" glitch as well.

mandru

I thought it was Art that told us about it.   :o

It's hard to believe that the Blade would forget something posted here on OWG.  Maybe an "evict resources" and reboot is in order.   >:D

I do know that a properly placed mortar round dropped over the prison wall will also take out the Jackal as I've tried it on recommendation of a post I read here on OWG.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I'm not sure what you're referring to, mandru.. I didn't say anything but finish with my pics that showed a new  way of getting a weapon inside the prison even with the patched game.

When you mentioned someone killed the Jackal with a mortar round, that is something I don't recall having heard before, so I wanted to try it. Now, having seen the referral "mortar glitch"  I of course remember that (impossible with the patched game).

Does that redeem myself? :)

I'll still have to check out where you found out about killing the Jackal with a mortar round, though. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Found it

here -- fragger killed the Jackal.

:-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Hmm...

My memory server must be off then.

I can't do an "evict resources" and reboot so I'll just have to go take a nap instead.   :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

By the way, I now remember someone killed the Jackal.. with a mortar round.. it was fragger.  :-()

PZ

Quote from: mandru  on June 16, 2011, 12:12:31 PM
I can't do an "evict resources" and reboot so I'll just have to go take a nap instead.   :-D
^+-+ spoken like a true old geezer, mandru  :-()

Art Blade

He made me feel old and in dire need of a nap -- best way to evict resources and reboot  <shakes hands with mandru> :-D

Art Blade

OK, surprise, people.. you made me think all of this through. Now indeed I managed to kill the Jackal with my favourite toy.. a hand grenade.

After he finished his speech. With the door open to the jungle.

And now I'm out of jail and in the jungle.

>:D

Really.  :)

[smg id=3411 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 Jackal died"]

How? Go to the cell downstairs, get your weapon out.. and then.. just whip out your map  :) Then you may throw a grenade whenever you like  :)

[smg id=3412 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 preparing the kill"]

Art Blade

[admin]To prevent double topics and posts, please continue talking about the Jackal's death  and the aftermath of it by clicking on the link here. If you want to talk about the rest (FC2 revival) as in stay on topic, you are welcome to do so and continue posting in this topic :) Cheers[/admin]

ninzza

I was doing "A Bridge Too Far" mission today.
In my last playthroughs, I always brought my AS50 to snipe the RPG guy and then snipe the guys protecting Yabek from that spot. But today I wanted something different. From Port Selao, I drive along the rail to the east, save game at the safehouse then I drive to the guardpost, take out the mercs there and use the hanglider to reach the high rock across the river from where the hanglider was. In the first two attemps I landed on the rock successfully, fromt here I use AS50 to take out the baddies. Some of them ran towards where I was but they stopped when they was about 200 yards away from me. They look at me but they didn't see me.

I reloaded the save game but I couldn't land safely on that rock anymore. Instead I crashed hard onto the rock and died about 5-7 time in a row.  :'(

Art Blade

wow.. :( Still, nice try and idea  :) :-X

I found out that reaching reputation level 5 will be accomplished even without doing any side missions when you get the job offer to kill two faction leaders that in my case were in the TaeMoCo Mine, letting one live resulting in an assassination job in Port Selao and later, in my case in Sepoko, again letting one of the two faction bosses live which again results in an assassination job in Port Selao and then meeting Reuben at the Airfield. That string of events rises your rep from 3 to 4 to 5.  :)

Art Blade

Time to say "bye" to Reuben, I reckon :) I had climbed the rocks and got behind the GP at the extraction / deportation zone without any trainer. Now I have finally done all the things I always wanted to try in FC2 :)

[smg id=3415 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 revived 021"]

PZ

Nice job  :-X

Ubi Montreal would do well to have OWG members beta test FC3

mandru

- mandru

fragger

Maybe so... but would FC2 be as much fun without all the weird and wonderful glitches? :-()

@Art, here's a slap on the back for finding a new trick to play on the Jackal :-X

I've never been able to pull off that trick with the deportation area. I just can't seem to find the right rocks to climb...

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on June 13, 2011, 02:17:15 PM
Not so long ago I started another playthrough and I thought I'd do a quick one this time, no side missions or buddy missions. Just straight.

Great minds and all that... I just started another 'thru and I too decided to try it without doing any buddy or side missions. Actually, it was deadman who put the thought into my head as he did this himself recently (cheers dead :-X )

I'm kicking off with a Diamond Tour, I like doing that. I'm also thinking of not doing any convoy missions nor buying any weapons. I had to buy a Makarov as the game requires the player to buy at least one weapon during the tutorial to proceed, but I didn't bother with the upgrades for it.

Can it be done with just a Makarov, a gold AK-47, a Fortune crossbow and whatever I can find in the safehouses or scrounge from dead mercs? We'll see... I'm curious to see how many diamonds I end up with when I go to meet the Jackal at the Prison.

Should be an interesting playthrough.

Art Blade

Cheers, guys  :)

Fragger, good luck and even more fun on that playthrough of yours  :-()

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on June 17, 2011, 01:25:51 AM
I've never been able to pull off that trick with the deportation area. I just can't seem to find the right rocks to climb...

I remembered that you need to do it from the "outside" -- not following the path up to the GP where you'd hand over the diamonds but on the other side of the rocks. Maybe at the same position of that GP, just on the other side. There's a slope you can climb, follow the path "down" to the barrier where you'd turn around and up the path to the GP, but keep staying on the rocks. When you reach the fence you cannot cross there, you need to go to the right of that big chunk of rock and try hard to get around it (facing again the "off" side of the path, where you climbed up) and you'll see and end up on a grassy plateau. Done :) I needed to reload a couple of times because I fell off the rocks.

fragger

Thanks Art, I'll look for it when I get there :-X

Art Blade

hehe, welcome ;D

Like you, I had never found a way over the fence and no starting point where to successfully climb the rocks so I could stay on top. This time, however, I was very determined and kept looking for a slope (which is quite far back down the path) and there I hopped around to get on top. Then I finally got to the fence just to find out I'd always fall down in front because of the invisible walls there so I had to start all over and that time made a save there "on the rocks" so I could simply reload to get back up  :-() Finally I found a way around (to the right) of the big lump of rock where I took a "leap of faith" (not knowing if it actually was going to w@&k) and ta-dah, I managed  :-D You'll manage, too  ;)

deadman1

Quote from: fragger on June 17, 2011, 01:47:50 AM
Quote from: Art Blade on June 13, 2011, 02:17:15 PM
Not so long ago I started another playthrough and I thought I'd do a quick one this time, no side missions or buddy missions. Just straight.

Great minds and all that... I just started another 'thru and I too decided to try it without doing any buddy or side missions. Actually, it was deadman who put the thought into my head as he did this himself recently (cheers dead :-X )

Are you sure that it was me that did that?  ???? I don´t recall ever having gone through FC2 without doing any side or buddy missions.

fragger

:-[ Just checked - it was JRD, he posted about it here.

So cheers, JRD :-X

Man, senility really sneaks up on you. At least I think it does - I can't remember whether it's snuck up on me before or not ;)

The 'thru is going well, actually. I've almost gotten all the diamond cases in Leboa and worn out one gold AK-47 in the process, I'm now on my second one. The armouries look a bit bare with nothing on the walls but a lone Makarov :-() The only concession I'm allowing myself is to use the Fortune crossbow to deal with snipers and the occasional AT. A couple of times I've picked up a dropped sniper rifle to help thin out the crowd at such places as the Railyard and Petro Sahel, but as I don't want to leave my Goldies behind I only snipe from the spots where I've picked the rifles up from, then grab the AK again once I've cleaned house a bit.

The plan is to collect all diamond cases, buy nothing and do nothing but main missions until I get to see Reuben at the Airstrip in Bowa, then go and do all the comm tower missions in both districts before meeting the Jackal and see how many diamonds I end up with. Theoretically I should have 996, having spent only 4 to buy the Makarov.

That's if I can make the gold AKs stretch that far. If they run out, I can see myself doing a lot of frantic unjamming of rusty pre-loved merc weapons :-\\

fragger

I know this sort of thing has been seen before, but it's the first time I've come across it myself. This was near the Weapon Shop east of Pala - a pair of levitating mercs. Apparently their AT went on without them:

[smg id=3418 align=center width=400]

They didn't move, they just hung in the air like a couple of bad smells. They were easily dispatched with a machete, but even after being knocked off they still continued to just hang there - until, presumably, they eventually did become a couple of bad smells.

[smg id=3419 align=center width=400]

PZ

^+-+  I've never seen that one yet!

Tags:
🡱 🡳