Aaah Revenge on the Rocks (MP map)

Started by Art Blade, June 10, 2011, 07:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Maybe 30 hours. That's how long it took me to create a smooth MP map suitable for all four MP types.
Binnatics and I keep having fun hosting and playing private matches on our password-protected servers. We think that for 1vs1 the Capture The Diamond type is most entertaining.

Map characteristics:

- Large. 12-16 players. But.. 1vs1 still works nicely if you play CTD.
- Four quadrants (different appearances like different altitude, desert, savannah, and two types of jungle). Each with its own one ammo supply and one dune buggy. And a large propane tank.
- Two halves. Each with a rocky climbable base, one APR, one UFFL. Each base with a unique faction car, diamond crate and ammo.
- One centre. A church with ammo, large propane tank and four yellow welding propane tanks. And a propane tank in the tower and on the roof.. sniping won't be fun for long there.  >:D
- Two circuits. One inner and one outer circuit to drive around.
- Smooth terrain. All drivable and climbable.
- Map borders usable (don't fall off the map.. into the water behind it and into the no-player-zone...)

This is my first published map. Go straight to the download and fetch it :)

[smg id=3377 type=link align=center width=500 caption="Aaah Revenge on the Rocks"]

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Nice - congratz on your first map  :-X

Art Blade

cheers :)

Distance faction base to faction base is around 300m, so I reckon the map's base length (geometry) is 500m from corner to corner (500m²) which means roughly 700m across. I already liked to just drive and walk around in it even before I had Binnatics test it together with me :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

outer circuit. You could climb the hill in the background if you wanted.
[smg id=3378 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 MP RockRevenge 01"]
inner circuit.
[smg id=3379 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 MP RockRevenge 02"]
some jungle bit, outer circuit, near the UFFL base.
[smg id=3380 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 MP RockRevenge 03"]
climbing the rocks of the APR base, you can snipe.. the church has some ammo but explosives all over the place. To the right of the church, in the back, you can see the rock formation of the UFFL base. The bases are built identically.
[smg id=3381 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 MP RockRevenge 04"]
The bases have a tunnel leading through the rock formation, the path you see is the inner circuit.
[smg id=3382 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 MP RockRevenge 05"]

PZ

Driving through a tunnel - cool  :-X

Art Blade

I always wanted a tunnel ;D

Unfortunately the editor doesn't allow you to drill or construct a horizontal hole through the stuff the map is modelled with ("terrain"). The only solution is to pile up objects (rocks) in a way that leaves an opening beneath it or create a ditch and place something on top of it (a "lid" if you like).

About the map, MP mode Uprising

One of the three checkpoints is in the church (mind the explosives) >:D

About the map, use of IEDs to protect bases in CTD

Both bases are "protected" against IED traps. Blow up the ammo crate to remove any hidden IED..  :-()

Binnatics

About that diamond-protection with ammo crates you were mentioning: I think I can come across these obstacles, muuhaahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!  >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

No >:D

As a matter of fact, a 1v1 CTD match is quite difficult if you place an IED somewhere close to your own faction's diamond crate. As soon as you read/hear that your diamond has been stolen, push the button of the remote detonator and, across the entire map, blow that poor ba$t@rd up who can't escape the blast and drops the diamond almost back into the crate. Binnatics started to do that with me and keeps trying to do so :-D

Now, as a precaution, both of us have grown used to blowing up the ammo crate first, from a distance, hoping to destroy any hostile IEDs next to a diamond crate.

Binnatics then varied his IED tactics. Once he managed to stick an IED to his base's car and waited a couple of seconds after he learned that I stole his diamond, hoping I would use "his" car to escape. To my surprise, while just on my way back to my base in that very car, I suddenly blew up ??? ^+-+ :-X

As a measure of revenge, I then ambushed him just when he planted an IED -- I shot the ammo crate next to him.. impressive fireworks, then  >:D :-()

We keep having fun on that map.  :)

For reasons unknown I was unable to publish the map on the FarCry2 Server from within the game, but Binnatics was so kind as to publish it for me.  :) :-X

Binnatics

As you can see, guys, we have intense fun with this map Art created. I myself have created a multiplayer map that is ready for TDM and CtD as well. We first played that map, that's how I found out about the IED effects. It was kind of a have-to-tactic back then, because Art is a damn good sniper. In that map the sniper can practically do what he wants; I designed the map to be sniper-friendly.
The funny thing about the IED in MP is that it seems that the opponent can't see the damn device you put in his base. Or Art is an incredible bad pathfinder, but I guess it's the first option. Me myself haven't been able to find any blowing devices near my base or a car as well. And Art DID blow me up quite some times ;)

It's weird that it remains invisible. Not fair, in my opinion. But hey, even when it IS visible, I was able to put an IED INSIDE of the churchwall once... Even if it WAS visible to the other party, he would have never found it  >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

hehe, church wall.. reminds me of one particular moment. We were playing Uprising "on the Rocks" and I had just captured one CP in the church tower when I heard Binnatics approach. I was still up the first ladder and I heard his footsteps inside the tower already, so I casually dropped a hand grenade downstairs and Binnatics must have tried to give it a proper headbutt, judging from the instant explosion and his death message  ^+-+

By the way, he actually inspired me to create my map and in particular to play CTD. At first we played that MP type on a few of his creations, and the "Precious" is really fun to play. Maybe we'll get to see a new topic and a download here as well :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on June 11, 2011, 06:11:48 PM
For reasons unknown I was unable to publish the map on the FarCry2 Server from within the game...
Game censorship in Germany - it is spreading like a cancer  :-()

Binnatics

Quote from: PZ on June 12, 2011, 11:08:25 AM
Quote from: Art Blade on June 11, 2011, 06:11:48 PM
For reasons unknown I was unable to publish the map on the FarCry2 Server from within the game...
Game censorship in Germany - it is spreading like a cancer  :-()

You can't be serious????!!!!

Art Blade

no, he isn't :) Still, funny remark  ^+-+

PZ

^+-+  Long term conversation that Art and I have been having - I think ever since the new Wolfenstein came out (minus any reference to swastika in the German version due to censorship)

Art Blade

A nice sunset on the desert part of the map...
[smg id=3383 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 MP RockRevenge 06"]

Today we tried "simple" Deathmatch on that map, still 1vs1. It turned into an intense hide-and-seek game once both of us were using the sharpshooter (sniper) outfit. I reckon we then played for one and a half or two hours non-stop and during that time I saw Binnatics only once (unfortunately I had a bad angle and missed him twice as he was a moving target which was both descending from a hill and walking diagonally away and behind another hill). It really means you can spend like one hour on the map without ever seeing the other player  ^+-+ :-X

Hard to see anyone who's hiding in the bushes and shadows.
[smg id=3384 type=link align=center width=500 caption="FC2 MP RockRevenge 07"]

Binnatics

Yeah, that sniper game was intense. In every corner can be the enemy... to spot him you gotta take risks... What's the risk? A bullet in the head. Shadows start to move... you see cactuses wondering around in the desert... am I getting mad here  :-\\

So, after indeed an hour and a half of seeking and hiding, we desided to bring an end to this. We both went to a similar vilage on both sides of a rock. The plan was: We both go to the rock and shoot the otherone on sight. Underneath the rock there's a tunnel. I decided I should run quickly towards the rock and enter the tunnel, in order to get to the opposit side of the rock. There I could ambush my friend. Guess what: Art had the same plan. We met eachother in the tunnel. Unfortunately, he was just changing weapon so I had that extra millisecond to snipe him down  >:D
We we discussed or movements during the sniper-madness it turn out that we had been to the same places, using the same hiding spots (!) We could have choked our noses against eachother if we were lucky enough!
Art imagined that it would have been great if we could see ourselves as moving coloured dots. We could then see how close we've been lol.
Unfortunately, the game doesn't provide that option jet  ;)

PZ

Art Blade

Yes.. way more a sniper experience than Sniper: Ghost Warrior  ^+-+

The coloured dots, what I meant was after the game to get to see a recording of our movements displayed simply as a square (the map) and a red and blue dot (the two players) moving around in it. I think we once went clockwise respectively counter-clockwise around the map on top of the border and occasionally criss-cross through the map, sometimes most likely very, very close to each other  :)

PZ

Indeed a retrospective tracking path would give great satisfaction.  Of course, it would reveal to your opponent your movement secrets.  ;)

Art Blade

in this case, originally being team partners, it wouldn't reveal anything we hadn't already discussed or known about each other :) The funny thing is, we keep doing the same things independently, "reveal it" and then laugh about it -- because we think and act very similarly  :)

As a matter of fact, that's why we didn't see each other for around one hour in the map because obviously "avoiding detection" was most important to us, independently  ;D

Art Blade

Just a side note: The church, being both at the centre and the highest point on the map, loaded with respawning explosives, was my main target. With the silent dart rifle in MP it is possible to set off a thin yellow welding tank with a single shot (one is located in the window of the church tower) so I kept hitting it from any which direction and location, silently, while Binnatics had to be more careful not to give away his position with a booming shot of his AS50  ;D

Binnatics

Yeah, I felt quite handicapted (lmao) with that blast. I was dieing for a good shot at the church :)

As a matter of fact, I kind of copied your explosive church in a way in my new map, the cetic blast. Sorry for that  >:D

But I added a funny 'torch' to it as well, which is kind of macabre ;)
But whatever; Celtic --> vikings --> burning churches --> it fits in a way  >:D

Art Blade

If people start to copy something you came up with first then I consider it an homage ;D :-X

Binnatics

It is indeed!! Thumps up for the church!!!  :-X
I couldn't leave it out of it, since I experienced the fun we had in your map!

Art Blade

Thanks :) I give you a thumbs-up for the stone corkscrew stairs you came up with in your map  :) :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳