Binnatics' FC2 experience

Started by Binnatics, May 07, 2011, 03:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: Binnatics on May 08, 2011, 04:09:52 PM
About exploding cars; Don't I need to use some explosive or molotov to destroy them? I think shooting them will consume a lot of ammo...

Oh, allow me to show you one of my masterpieces...  ;D

Just attach some IEDs to a car, drive, exit, detonate, rinse, repeat...  8)

Car Bombing a Guard Post
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I remember that one - still a favorite because it was early in the history of experimentation in FC2  :-X

mandru

Binnatics, here's some quick info about sniper weapons that may be useful.

It was mentioned above that on the higher difficulty settings it would be mandatory to scavenge ammo because you can carry less of it than at the lower difficulty levels.  Any assault weapon that has been dropped on the ground by a merc will help fill your allotment if you are carrying an assault rifle but before you step on the rifle to take the available ammo reload the weapon in your hands so that it is topped off, then step on the weapon on the ground to lift that ammo directly to your inventory.  If you take ammo from a weapon on the ground while your weapon has a half clip you're not getting a full refill.   :-X

Sniper rifles can only be refilled when scavenging ammo if you actually find a sniper rifle on the ground.  Assault rifle ammo will not refill a sniper rifle.

By the way Binnatics did you but the pistol belt to bring your ammo for that weapon up to the max yet?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Bin, just a bit about weapons: You'll find that all your weapons degrade over time. Whenever you buy a new weapon and subsequently grab it off the armoury wall it'll be all new and shiny at first, but after you've used it for a while it will get more and more dirty and rusty-looking. If you persist in using it, eventually it'll start to jam. If you still keep using it, it will jam more frequently, and if you still persist in using it, eventually it will misfire and your guy will chuck it aside. Then you'll be left with nothing in that slot until you pinch a weapon off a dead merc, or get to a Weapon Shop armoury and grab a new weapon off the wall (you'll find 5 Weapon Shops around Leboa, represented on your map by a pistol icon).

What this is is a very crude way of modelling weapon maintenance. Since it would be pretty boring to watch your guy sit down, take his weapon apart and clean and oil it, they've done it this way instead. All of this is my roundabout way of working up to a tip - whenever you find yourself near an armoury, go in and replace all your weapons, even if you've only fired a few rounds from some of them. I've gotten into this habit and I almost never have a weapon jam on me in the field.

Once you've bought a new weapon from the shop's computer, there will be an infinite supply of that weapon in any armoury. You've probably noticed that as soon as you take a weapon from the wall, another one immediately appears in it's place. If you're so inclined, you can stand there grabbing the same weapon off the wall ad infinitum. Some weapons degrade faster than others. I think the most durable store-bought weapon is probably the AK-47, whereas the least durable is a species of sniper rifle that fires (ostensibly) poison darts. As others have mentioned, the most durable weapon in the game is the golden AK. I've played the entire first half of the game with one of those before it clagged out on me.

About the supply upgrade - I've discovered this quirk. Let's say you buy the Pistol Belt while you already have a full (pre-upgrade) supply of pistol ammo on you, but you actually have a different weapon type in your hands when you go into the armoury. In this case, you'll find you won't be able to pick up any more ammo for the pistol. After buying the Pistol Belt, you actually need to have your pistol in your hand when you enter the armoury in order to pick up the extra ammo for it. Same thing goes for the other weapon types and their respective supply upgrades - after buying the upgrade, you need to enter the armoury with that particular weapon in hand to in order to get the extra ammo for it, if you already had a full supply when you bought the upgrade.

Hope that made sense... :-\\

deadman1

One other useful thing conserning weapons are the weaponscrates you can find in your armory and your safehouse. Once you buy one of these you can put a fresh weapon in them and it will be avalible at your safehouse, so you won´t have to go to an armory to get a fresh one. However after you have changed weapon, you´ll have to replace the used weapon in the crate with a fresh one in the armory.

Ricamundo

Once you have enuf diamonds, this is a great loadout of weapons that will see you thru any mission..

Dragonov sniper rifle..the best sniper in the game, dont waste your diamonds on the AS50, which comes up later on.

PKM LMG...has a big clip so you can wipe out several mercs without having to reload.

GL 79..i think is what the standard grenade launcher is called..fantastic weapon when there's an assault truck bearing down on you. One well placed shot with this baby and you can blow up guard posts real good! >:D

The PKM has a hella recoil, so to minimize this, right click to aim as you fire, and aim low, and let the recoil carry the aim up the target to the head. Dont forget the accuracy and reliability upgrades for every weapon you buy.

Another favourite loadout of mine is the stealth one...

Silenced Mak...good for in close sneak up behind a lone target, but get ready to run after shooting. ???

Silenced MP-5 assault...best of the standard assult rifles, better than the common AK, imho.

Dart Gun..very quiet sniper, but very small clip, and the most fragile gun in the game.
A good habit is to replace all your bought weapons after every mission, and i would replace the Dart Gun after about every 10 shots, just to be safe.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

mandru

Some good info there Ricamundo.   :-X

Quote from: Ricamundo on May 09, 2011, 03:44:15 AM
Dragonov sniper rifle..the best sniper in the game, dont waste your diamonds on the AS50, which comes up later on.

Big slow ugly clunky and kicks like a Clydesdale/mule hybrid on steroids with steel clad mud cleats but I love 'em.  Err... both the Clydesdale/mule hybrids and the AS50.    ;D

I happen to prefer the AS50 snipe rifle which becomes available after completing the first gun shop mission in the 2nd half of the game even though it has a clip of only 5 rounds as compared to the Dragonuv's clip of 10.  Being a .50 cal the AS50 is loud and can be heard from further away by the mercs who don't seem to be able to resist coming to look for you.

In some situations that saves me the trouble of having to go and look for them.   >:D

I also as a purely personal preference like to equip the AS50 for close up run and gun situations because of it's "One Shot" knock down/stay down capability.  You don't injure anyone with an AS50.  If you want to shoot someone "only a little" then the Dragonuv is the perfect weapon as long as you don't take the head shot.

To my eye the AS50 has the best looking scope in the game also with what I think is the best magnification available.  I think it was PZ that had posted he liked to fine tune the aim for a long shot with the AS50 scope and then with out moving the aim point quickly switch to the 6P9 silenced Makarov to take out targets at unheard of distances.   :-D
- mandru

spaceboy

Oh I loved the AS50 for the same reasons as mandru states.  I liked placing different weapons in the safe house boxes than I carried so that if I found a situation where I wanted something different it would be there for me.

I haven't read this entire topic Binnatics - but did you get the Fortune Pack DLC (maybe it came with the PC version)?  It's awesome with the ATV, Unimog, Cross-bow, and shotguns.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru  on May 09, 2011, 06:33:15 AMI think it was PZ

No, it was JRD  :-()

Quote from: JRD on August 27, 2009, 06:56:39 PMThe only way I can do headshots from far away is aiming with a dart rifle (empty, or I'll use it), swaping to another gun without touching the mouse and firing.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Indeed it was me... a workaround for when I`m out of bullets with the dart rifle and still want to be incognito...  :-()

The downside mandru pointed out on the Dragunov is actually a strong point imo... injure one merc and keep him on sight for a while... one fellow merc will come to his help. Injure him and wait for a third merc to get closer... I once managed to pile up a whole stack of wounded mercs... who I relieved from their misery using my rusty machete afterwards  >:D

Here`s a tip for you... you can find some powerful but rusty weapons in some safehouses that are available only in the second act of the game, after you move to the southern map. These are great weapons you can use for a while and save some diamonds for after the arms dealer missions  ;)

Binnatics

Damn you guys give me a lot of info. Good to see all these tactics on different guns. The AS50 sounds great, elephant-power  >:D

But the trick with the injured merc's is also very nice ;)

I don;t have the fortune pack edition. Could maybe download it later or something. Today I sneeked into this dagerous vilage called Mokuba to take out some equipment of a violent merc group. I first tried shooting my way in, but that was suicide. Should still find out a way to do something like that anyhow, but at this moment in the game it was impossible. I found out that when these guys see you, and you run and hide, the lose interest in you thinking you'd be gone  :-() So I threw a nice granade right onto their equipment and destroyed it all. Oh, eventually I alos started a fire in the village, making them think I started it and was still there  ^+-+
It felt good, and just after that I found the most beautiful safehouse so far, on a rock, just west of the village. Also adiamond there  ^-^

Gonna save my buddy next who has trouble with the FPA because I blew some medical stuff as well :P

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

I`ll see that sometimes you have to go back to a place you visited before... that`s when FC2 shines... you`ll see how many ways you can try to get the job done. Most of the time things go unexpectedly wrong and in the end all works fine  ;D

I never accomplished the same mission the same way twice, I always try something different!  >:D

Art Blade

The missions will send you across the map and back, so inevitably you'll see (and pass) some places more than once. After a while you'll recognise locations, triggering good and bad memories and thinking things like "oh great, not again" as the mercs will all have happily respawned once again >:D

By the way, sometimes it might be a good idea to do missions at night. Go to a safe house and use that alarm clock to "sleep" through the day and wake up at dusk. Drive as long as you're away from settlements and walk once you're within earshot so the sleeping mercs (yes, they do sleep at night, in beds or on the ground) won't wake up and you can finish your job without too much of a fight, perhaps even without a fight. I rather do my jobs first, silently, save the game, and then come back and kill everything that still has a breath in it  >:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

One thing I do like with the sniper rifles is if you watch for it the opportunity often arises where you can get just the right line up and make a double head shot as one merc walks directly between you and another merc standing still that you have in your sights.

There aren't any points to keep track of in FC2 but it's packed full of those all important "Yes!"  moments.   ;D
- mandru

JRD

Quote from: mandru  on May 09, 2011, 09:35:57 AM
There aren't any points to keep track of in FC2 but it's packed full of those all important "Yes!"  moments.   ;D

... and "Oh s#!t!"  moments too....  ;D

What I like the most is that you can plan your attack, then screw it all up, improvise, get the job done and having even more fun like that. It`s not a pity when plans go wrong, but an opportunity to re-think your concepts... of course, when an ambush to a convoy go as planned... then you have the "Yes!"  moments mandru is talking about  ;)

spaceboy

I had a lot of Oh S#it moments followed closely by Yes or Phew moments...

Absolutely what made the most fun though was when things did not go as planned.

The number of times I destroyed my own ride and had to hoof it off somewhere (can't run for too long lol) or improvise with weapons I had to pick up.  These are just some things that left a deeper impression on me than in other games.  Perhaps its the lack of vehicles just driving around, and the inability to always find ammo for your guns.

I could fill an afternoon and empty a few pints with stories these guys all heard before, but one particular improvisation I recall is the mission to destroy a rail car - I was supposed to destroy it from a distance with my explosive crossbow, but I was aiming at the wrong car and of course alerted the mercs.  Lots of shooting and explosions later I stood alone with the rail car just barely steaming out of a couple holes, mission incomplete, and I had no grenades or explosives left.  I had to scrounge through the area, lifting what I could from the dead mercs.  Eventually I found a spare grenade and tossed it under the rail car to complete the mission.  What a mess I made of that mission, but what fun it was  ;D

Art Blade

I believe that's what they call "snafu" -- situation normal, all fucked up.  :-()

Also funny if you killed everyone silently, not triggering any alarms, and think the area is clear so you start to walk around to do what you came there for and then, probably weapons jammed, no ammo left for the other one, and a machete whipped out, only then you'll hear a merc's voice, uncomfortably close, go "HM?!" ??? While you realise it's time for your rescue buddy to prove they know their business, you may have one of those "WTF was that" moments.  :-D ^+-+

JRD

One episode I`ll never forget was an ambush to a convoy at southeast Leboa. The convoy goes through a bottleneck on some rocky formation in that area, making it a perfect spot for setting IEDs and watching the fireworks from above... "no chance to get spotted and killed" I thought... so there I was on top of the rocks after laying all IEDs I had with me... as the convoy passed over the charges and I detonated them the truck was catapulted high in the sky with the blast as the charges were a bit close and the explosion added up... of course the truck landed... on me   :D ... there was nothing I could do but watch, in awe as the moon disappeared being replaced by the falling wreckage of the flying truck  ^+-+

Art Blade

That story I remember, too. Probably the most hilarious and spectacular mishap in the history of FC2, ever  :-D :-X

Isn't that when we were making fun of "this is not going to happen.. oh, yes, it is." ?  ^+-+

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on May 09, 2011, 10:56:05 AM
That story I remember, too. Probably the most hilarious and spectacular mishap in the history of FC2, ever  :-D :-X

Isn't that when we were making fun of "this is not going to happen.. oh, yes, it is." ?  ^+-+

Exactly...  :-X  ^+-+

Too bad I don`t have it recorded...  :D

spaceboy

classic FC2/OWG!  I absolutely love picturing it in my mind JRD - no worries about the recording....we ALL can picture it perfectly  :)

JRD

Here, I found this... this is not me, but could be...  ;D

Far Cry 2 - Attempt on a truck (+funny end)

Binnatics

I just wrote about a victorious assault on the Mokuba vilage, and the find of a great hideout. Now the next thing I did was getting down and into the new-delivered car (on any hideout) and when I was looking at the map how to go through, someone shot me... Guess what, The entire vilage came after me. Thought it was just 2 or 3, no, a seemingly endles stream of mercs was coming my way shooting at me like duck-hunt! Still trying to survive with half of the bullets I was wearing, so I'm a little bussy atm  :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

spaceboy

awesome vid JRD.  can't you duck into the safehouse Binnatics?  I recall getting chased near the pipeline and I ducked into the safehouse.  I could hear them outside milling around looking for me but they eventually went away.  "Where could he have gone?!"  ::)

Art Blade

Hehe, Binnatics  :-() :-X

Oh, I finally found the original comment regarding JRD's hilarious accident

Quote from: spaceboy on May 01, 2009, 07:20:36 AMI also wish I could've seen JRD get smashed by the truck ("that's not going to...oh yes it is...sh*&").

^+-+

By the way, that topic the quote is taken from is worth a read, Binnatics. it's called Your most infamous deaths  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳