Binnatics' FC2 experience

Started by Binnatics, May 07, 2011, 03:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Hey, man. You're not stupid! Stop saying that.  :-() And don't worry, anyone may utter wild speculations or ask any questions. We're here to support one another, not to blame anyone (not even oneself) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I don't think it's stupid to come up with that idea either. In fact, it happened to me. My savegame in Dirt 2 got corrupted during online play, while you don't even really save anything. You only need the 'account' to connect to online races. It does save online ranks and progression though. It happened various times and I had to create a new account. So the whole singleplay campaign had to be done again >:((
...(completing SP will unlock great cars needed in the online racing, or you'll have a standard disadvantage to the rest of the racers)
Dirt is a marvellous racing game, but usually racing games don't have a great replay value. It's better to switch to online racing after having completed all the SP races. And I alos lost my online status and progression :D Lot of w@&k to do again.
I found a solution to the bug online; copy / paste parts of the savegame into a newly created savegame, leaving one file untouched. That didn't w@&k for me and caused 3 achievements to disappear. They disappeared 4 times, so I had to get them 5 times over again. Then, after that, I decided better to wait for Dirt 3, since everytime I reloaded the game I lost these damn achievements :-\\

At the prisonbreak: I stole a nice AT and got out. Went to a safehouse and that was the first time I regret to not have put weaponry in the crates. Had to make my way to the nearest gundealer to get new equipment. Anyway, gonna go on with the missions given in Sefapane now ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

I'm busy now getting enough diamonds together to buy crates        :-X

Binnatics

I bought them this time ;)

I finally got the Jackal's location from Rueben. I went to the prison and...
...Decided to leave the rest of the fun for tomorrow :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

I should also pack it up now and go to bed, is just after 11pm now, take care mate....................... :-X

Binnatics

^-^ :-X

We really are a "24 h. econ... urhm... society"  :-()

Binnatics

:o ???....  ????....  8)

That, was a great end!

First, I picked the battery, and blew myself up. I still had my doubt about the Jackal so I went back in and did the briefcase. Same end. Good end.
The whole game, the shooting, everything makes sense now.
That was the first moment I realised the only citizens I found along the way were the ones I got a passpord for.
Could have been a real story.

Great game. When I did the last part, after entering the prison again, I found the landscape even more overwhelming. The small paths through the mountains, deep passes, the swamp.
I didn't bring a good loadout: I had the USAS 12, a great gun, but doesn't last long. Combined with the dart rifle, great gun too but also gets useless after let's say, 30 shots. So by the time I reached my so called friends, I had an almost wasted USAS 12, and the small grenade launcher left. That was a tough moment. I could loot an LMG from one of my fallen friends, and that came in handy until I reached the last safehouse. Glad I kept my golden AK47 there, all the time. That was a lifesaver. :-D

Well, and there it ends, my FC2 experience :)
My first FC2 experiences that is ;)

I got a little disappointed along the way, just before reaching Bowa. I found all missions look-a-likes and was tired of having to pass guardposts every second. When entering Bowa I found back the joy. Don't know why, but the game got more fun there. Maybe the best half ;)
When I just started I mentioned that the game had risen in my 'all times favourite games'. When I got disappointed, it sank. Took me a while to get back to it, but now that I completed my first playthrough it's definitely a top 10'er. Maybe even top 5 ^-^

Thanx for all the support along the way. That doubled the fun! :-X :-X

fragger

Good on you Binn, congrats on getting all the way through! I'm glad you stuck with it and enjoyed the game :-X

I was a bit ambivalent about FC2 when I first started playing it. But it didn't take long for the open-world nature of the game to appeal, as well as the relative freedom of action (relative to most shooters, that is). I think it's that freedom of action more than anything that ropes me in - I can go and do what I want, when I want, with no time pressure - like retirement maybe, but with firearms and violence :-()

Hope you give FC2 another go or two Binn, you may come to like it even more once you become more familiar with it :)

JRD

Congrats Binn...  :-X   I'm glad you enjoyed it.

fragger has good advice, give FC2 another try and it might shine bright second time around as you are more familiar with the game and can experiment more.

By the way, there's a golden AK near the end, act III, Heart of Darkness, following a fallen tree crossing a stream, wel.... check D_B's maps and you'll see it  ;)

Ahhhh... the thrill of a first playthrough... I just hope I don't get disappointed by FC3  :-\\
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

One way to help overcome the weapons degradation while progressing through the Heart of Darkness is to have fresh ones in the weapons crate.  One of the safe houses along the way contains the crates.

I think you'll enjoy another play through Binnatics; the more I played through, the more eager I was to start another one to try different things.  :-X

nexor

Congrats Binn.... I'm pretty sure you will do a second, third, fourth......etc   :) like most of us did, just a word of caution though, I would suggest you give the game a rest after the second playthrough....... I did my third within two days after finishing off the second, you get kind of used to the movements of the mercs so you know what to expect and when to expect and then the game can become boring      :-\
Luckely I found Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Medal Of Honor so I could take my mind off FC2 for awhile, after BBC2 and MOH I got back into FC2 and is still enjoying it together with the other two games    :-X

nexor

Like your avatar JRD, first time I notice the hand moving      :-()

Art Blade

Hey Binnatics, congrats on finishing your first playthrough :)

For me the first playthrough almost never happened. I got so frustrated by a great bunch of things (decaying weapons, super-alert mercs who tore me apart, losing my parked vehicles for no apparent reason, and other things). So before I finished my first playthrough I was desperately looking for cheats. That brought me here (although at that time we didn't have them here) and this was the first site on the net that wasn't moaning and complaining and whining like the rest; they were thoroughly enjoying and discussing the game. Eventually I started to participate and contribute here, creating a source of tips and cheats for myself and everyone around. I still wouldn't like the game if I couldn't cheat, but with cheats.. marvellous. Enjoying the landscape and everything.. With those cheats (and now modding) I do like the game. I'm not sure how many times I played through, it has to be more than 10 times now and I don't get tired -- every once in a while I load a savegame or start a new playthrough :)

JRD

Quote from: nexor63 on September 16, 2011, 01:27:15 AM
Like your avatar JRD, first time I notice the hand moving      :-()

Cheers! The hand wasn`t moving at first, I don`t know why but I couldn`t make it w@&k. I think it was a size issue. PZ sorted it out for me though.  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on September 16, 2011, 05:04:43 AM
... this was the first site on the net that wasn't moaning and complaining and whining like the rest; they were thoroughly enjoying and discussing the game. Eventually I started to participate and contribute here, creating a source of tips and cheats for myself and everyone around. I still wouldn't like the game if I couldn't cheat, but with cheats.. marvellous. Enjoying the landscape and everything.. With those cheats (and now modding) I do like the game. I'm not sure how many times I played through, it has to be more than 10 times now and I don't get tired -- every once in a while I load a savegame or start a new playthrough :)

So true, and so glad that you decided to join our merry band of FC2 buddies.  We felt the same about the other sites, but there were a few of us on the old farcry2world site that were making the best of things.  JRD always had an upbeat demeanor, and spaceboy was just plain excited about the game.  D_B had just started with his first version of the FC2 maps, and was asking to host them on that site.  Just about that time, they got hit by a nasty hacker and decided to go belly up.  In a way, their demise was the reason for the eventual establishment of our place.  ;)

ninzza

Congrats for finishing your 1st playthrough of FC2, Binn  :-X Glad to hear you really like it  :)

After my 1st run, I always bring AK, Carl G, Dart rifle and M79 before entering the heart of darkness.
Dart rifle to pcik off the mercs in the swamps, Carl G to take out the 2 faction leaders from afar without having to getting close to them, and M79 to kill your former buddies.

Like fragger and other guys said, I encourage you to play through it again. When I first playthrough it, I liked it but after 2nd run, I get more familiar with the game, thus I enjoy it more.

Binnatics

No need to convince me on a second playthrough guys ^+-+ :-X

I will. Wanna complete the game on the hardest setting now, so that I know what it really takes to beat the mercs. When I'm done with that, I'm sure I have a whole lot of reasons to go on and start a third ;)
Only I'd love to upgrade my monitor first, and do a fresh install of windows on my system. I'm thinking about upgrading to win7, but with win8 to come, I might wait with that a while. I might also buy an SSD when I do that.
So much to long for...  ;)

nexor

Hope you still playing without any cheats, I only started using cheats after my 4th play through, and Infamous without any cheats is very challenging but very exciting, when I play the game I wear earphones so I can concentrate on the terrain noises and I also prefer moving around on foot, that way I bring the fight to them and on my terms...... :-X

I almost punched my wife one evening because of that...... :-[  :-[ she was in the lounge working on her laptop while I was in my game room (with my back to the door) deeply involved in the game, I was attacking a merc post and at a crucial moment my wife came into the room and touched me on the shoulder, I got such a fright..... I lunged at her cursing like a sailor and took a swing at her, luckily I get to my senses just in time, and of course she almost s%&t herself          :-[ :D

Binnatics

Quote from: nexor63 on September 17, 2011, 11:56:25 AM
I almost punched my wife one evening because of that...... :-[  :-[ she was in the lounge working on her laptop while I was in my game room (with my back to the door) deeply involved in the game, I was attacking a merc post and at a crucial moment my wife came into the room and touched me on the shoulder, I got such a fright..... I lunged at her cursing like a sailor and took a swing at her, luckily I get to my senses just in time, and of course she almost s%&t herself          :-[ :D

Something similar could happen to me. I know that exact hand on my shoulder and the rage that takes hold of me when due to that hand I f@#k up an important mission. Glad I could hold myself in until now :-D

Besides, don't worry, I hardly cheat. Last time I cheated must have been years ago when I played Doom 2. Normally, I like the challenge. That's why I started my first playthrough on hard. But due to the disappointment I experienced and Art's persuation techniques I switched to easy. Now I'm up to the challenge  >:D

Edit:
Funny; Thinking it over again I can even remember the cheatcodes in Doom 2: godmode: IDDQD and ammo: IDKFA. Must have used them A LOT!! ^-^

nexor

Art Blade

Hehe, you still knowing those cheat codes surprised me ^-^

I too know that touch on my shoulder. The hardest bit for me: when due to that touch of that hand I just supremely f@#ked up a mission, too keep a stiff upper lip and go, "oh no, don't worry, you didn't really interrupt anything -- it's just a game."  8-X ^-^ Why, oh why does it tend to be that single one mission that takes hours to almost accomplish/finish.   :D ^+-+

nexor

the problem is, the mercs were shooting the living s%&t out of me....... and when my wife touched me on the shoulder I took a swing at her, needless to say she doesn't come near me after that incident, I have a phone right next to me so she phones me from the house phone...... :-D

Binnatics

LMAO, but the phone can still interupt you ::)

I have a question... Let's say: I kill all my buddies, except for one, maybe. Will that make the last part of the game, where you have to go collect the diamonds for the Jackal, easier? I mean, last time only one buddy was killed, during my playthrough. It was this Hyppolite guy. He was the only one not being present at the party, as far as I could see. Just an idea, since this infamous playthrough is getting tough, tough, tough!!
Bigest disappointment so far: Only 3 bullets for the dart rifle, and no marksman bandolier available at this point :D
And with the grenade ammo upgrade I can only hold 3 shots in my M-79 :o

I found something else disturbing: I have found various mercs during the last few days that were shooting at me, well, where they thought I was. I saw their side or back when they were firing. Poor bastards. BUT: They still hit me??!!
Somehow, no matter if they point strait or just shoot wildly, they always hit me with a few bullets. It is possible that I'm mistaken, but actually not. I'm pretty sure these guys or guy was the last mans standing, and he still hit me no matter where he aimed at. I allready knew they can shoot through walls, but if they also can shoot boomerang-style, this playthrough is gonna be a tough one. Since a good hit can almost instantly kill you.

Anyway: I'm having big fun. Found a new approach to GP's: Allways bring your AT with you and take out 3/4 of the guys from a safe distance >:D Then, when you have saved a lot of ammo, sneek in and kill the last guy. This technique is kind of a must-do since you have so few ammo. I now have only 90 rounds in my assault. I allready told about the poor quantity of other ammo, so you can figure how hard it is to stay with a safe amount of bullets. Looting will only give you 8 rounds per assault you pick.
In the Swashana village, I did a similar approach, but then I used a boat. I didn't have the dart rifle yet by that time, so all my attention went to the sniper on the second floor of the big building. Once I AB'ed that guy (assault-boated) the rest was peanuts. There was one merc trying to come close with another boat, but he was alone. When he tried to switch to gunmode, I killed him, just in time >:D

I take a lot more time in this playthrough. Not only because it's harder now, but also because I don't feel in a hurry anymore. That makes the game even more attractive :-X I'm searching for diamonds in lots of locations whenever I have the idea there might be something. I do need the cash too, to buy good weaponry. Also, I'm really gonna need some extra syrettes and the sneek suit.  ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳