Portal2 Screenpics (spoilers)

Started by fragger, April 22, 2011, 03:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

nice construction :) and so free of any purpose :-D :-X

I like playing with stuff I find, too, but during my first playthrough I had a mind to quickly finish the game except the one bit when I couldn't help it but splash an entire chamber with white paint  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

How did you get them stacked so high on top of each other, Binnatics?

If you want to preserve the mystique of that pic by not answering the question, that's OK :-() It's a great picture, however you did it :-X

Binnatics

It's the first chamber of chapter 8. I thought this was the one where you could 'make your point' by not solving the test... so I took my time and played around with the cubes ;)
After a few tries I found out it was the next chamber where you could 'make your point'.  ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

inspiring. :)

I thought I'd make a point by pushing that button using what I could.  :-D

[smg id=3291 type=link align=center width=500 caption="Portal2 SP 007"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

^+-+

Weathley is looking like, "What have you done to my creatures??!!!"

:-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

;D

I told him I'd set fire to them if he handed me a suitable tool for that purpose but for reasons unknown he just wouldn't comply with that.  :-D

fragger

I was just trying to replicate what you guys have done, now that I've found out how you did it ;) But I could only get five of them stacked - every time I tried to get the sixth one on top I'd klutz out and knock down what I'd built already ::)

Hats off guys - you have more patience, or dexterity, or both, than I do :-D :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on May 06, 2011, 04:14:01 AMyou have more patience, or dexterity, or both

Cheers, fragger. :) That's probably part of our recipe for being an efficient coop team  :)

Here's some more  :-D

[smg id=3295 type=link align=center width=500 caption="Portal2 SP 008"]

Binnatics

since i'm kinda drunk atm, i'll give you a hind.... use the blocks as a stairs. Youi can even make it up to 7 blocks if you usen the corner ;)

I actualy baught Farcry2 today, which is great. For only 5 euros!! But I'll wait with trying it since today it won't w@&k I gues. I'm just too far away...hips... So see you tomorrow ;)

Good luck on making funny walls and towers :)

Laterz

Art Blade

Quote from: Binnatics on May 06, 2011, 06:23:15 PMI actualy baught Farcry2 today, which is great. For only 5 euros!!

oh WOW!! cool, and what a bargain  ??? :) :-X

Binnatics

Ahhh, sober again :)
With a hangover that is... Well, time to do the usual saterday stuff. Tonight I might give FC2 a try. I'm kind of excited allready ;)

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Not to necro post or anything.... ah what the heck, let's bring back the dead.... I feel kinda left out as I couldn't get P2 working until a week ago or so, I missed out on all the fun stuff.

Anyway, for those of you who like abandoned places, here's some posts on a photography/outdoors forum I frequent. I've never been to these places, as they require "Unauthorized Access" and I left that sort of thing behind in my youth.

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3662

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3665

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3659

The coal breaker is amazing and will give Portal 2 players a reminder of huge abandoned industrial spaces, the hotel is the type of place where they just left one day and never came back. Interesting places.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

deadman1

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 16, 2011, 10:59:26 AM
Not to necro post or anything.... ah what the heck, let's bring back the dead.... I feel kinda left out as I couldn't get P2 working until a week ago or so, I missed out on all the fun stuff.

Anyway, for those of you who like abandoned places, here's some posts on a photography/outdoors forum I frequent. I've never been to these places, as they require "Unauthorized Access" and I left that sort of thing behind in my youth.

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3662

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3665

http://www.nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3659

The coal breaker is amazing and will give Portal 2 players a reminder of huge abandoned industrial spaces, the hotel is the type of place where they just left one day and never came back. Interesting places.

That coalbreaker looked like it could have been from half-life 2 actually.

Art Blade

hey, don't feel left out, matey  :)

Interesting links and the pics there put me in a surreal mood. As if those End Of The World films had turned real. Apart from the Adler Hotel, the pics reminded me of F.E.A.R. and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. The hotel reminded me of Shining  :-D

Binnatics

Inetesting how someone can make these great pictures with just a camera. It looks all super-realistic and the first thing that I could think of (in the sanatorium te be precise) is poking round with special effects in a computer-photoshopping session.
But I guess the guy did it with using special film material and long-time diafragma and stuff.

Great. And indeed, great places. The factury could just be there in Portal 2

Dweller_Benthos

Yes, most of those are extreme HDR (high dynamic range) and actually, for my taste, a little over done. But they are striking, none the less.

And, to get the topic back on track, that is, Portal 2 screen caps, here's a shot of the coop bot in the single player game. This is in chamber 12, I think, of chapter 8. When Wheatley has to find an exit for the test, he rips apart the chamber next door. Just as the wall falls away, you can see a surprised bot jump quick to the exit door.

[smg id=3416]

Be sure to click to zoom so you can see it better, this is with the zoom function turned on in the game itself as well, so it's pretty far away.

hmm... seems the gallery scales it down, here's a cropped version so you can see the bot better

[smg id=3417]
D_B

mmosu

Wow, cool easter egg  :-X  I had no idea about that one!

I personally like the "symphony of chairs" picture in the first set - funny to think that someone stacked those up like that, and then walked away, never to return . . .
They are rather "hyper-realistic", especially the staircase photos from the old sanitarium.  The color palette in some of those shots is so extremely diverse that it almost looks like the scene can't possibly be real.  High dynamic range huh?  So I'm assuming he's capturing wavelengths that, if you had actually been standing there, would have been outside the visible spectrum?

Art Blade

HDR is just to make the difference between shadow and light more drastic, it's not enhancing your vision.

mmosu

Ah, I see.  I was wondering if maybe some of the non-visible spectrum was being converted into visible color.

Dweller_Benthos

He's also increasing the saturation a bit, I think. Like I said, his is a bit overdone for my taste, but from an artistic point of view, quite striking.
D_B

Art Blade

Agree, on both aspects. The colours reminded me of too dark screenshots (at night) in FC2 and after using "auto adjust colours" they look somewhat the same.

fragger

I always thought there was something poignant about places like abandoned hotels, especially when the furniture and fittings are still in place. It's the suggestion of vanished lives and events long since past that provides the piquancy, I guess.

Some very striking photos there, nice find Dweller :-X

mandru

I thought this was kind of funny so I'll put it up for you Portal2 players.  I've not gotten very deep into this game's topics so I hope it's not a duplication.

http://www.youtube.com/user/trpchakai#p/u/0/YzG94ct2d5k

Wheatley Puppet

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳