Elder Scrolls V "Skyrim" (and a discussion about E.S. IV, Oblivion)

Started by spaceboy, January 22, 2011, 08:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

I got the guide for this in a sale today and jesus the game is huge, I dont know what the level cap is, but there are so many quest lines, Main Quest, Companions, Imperials, Stormcloaks, Mages Guild, Assassins Guild, Thieves Guild, each of them having their own sub sets of missions apart from their quest lines. All this of course is totally seperate from the standard quests you pick up from "civilians".

When its fully patched, I'm sure it will be a yardstick by which future RPG's will be judged.

Anyway, if you really like the game, the guide is well worth getting.

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

spaceboy

I'll look at that down the road.  I was hoping to just let things unfold as I play, but it'd be a shame to miss some cool stuff by merely never coming across it!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

Well, I'm sure you wouldnt really miss anything significant, I had done the companions, mages and had started the thieves quests by being directed towards them with the main quest, eg. You cannot continue the main quest, without doing a Thief Guild Quest, you get sent to the thieves guild to find a guy (the bugged guy I mentioned), but they wont hand him over unless you do a quest for them.

But it is handy to know the volume of quests available in the game. :)

KingRat

Late again, just don't call me late for dinner :-D

Been playing KoA, DA:O, DA2 and all the dlc's. Since I like them well enough I just went on Amazon and bought Oblivion & Skyrim.

Any tips?

Fiach

Yes, you can damage your NPC followers with your spells and sword swings, this will make them turn on you which is a pita.

Dont bother buying a horse they are crap to control.

You can take carriages to different towns, so you dont have to schlep anywhere.

Just got the Dawnguard DLC, maybe I will get to play it sometime this year :)

I found mage easiest, ymmv.

Dragons Dogma is much more fun, I just mention this because of the dragon storyline similarities, but it kinda puts me off firing up skyrim anymore.

KingRat

Thanks Fiach,

I'll be playing Oblivion first, and it's the Platinum version with 2 dlc's Ko9 & SI. I'll get the dlc's for Skyrim too...

I play these games on easy/casual since friendly fire is off. Is Skyrim different? I might need to be more careful with my spells  :-()

Fiach

You get a very good suit of armour in KotN, I would play that first :)

KingRat

Good to know, thanks  :-X

I started another play of DA2 yesterday, and after that it's on to ES series. I'll try to squeeze some BL2 in there somewhere...  :) shoot, I still have a play of KoA I put on hold when I started DA:Origins that I need to finish  :laugh:

KingRat

Gave up on Oblivion after about 20 minutes; loaded up Skyrim and haven't looked back  :-D

At lvl 28 right now and haven't completed act 1 yet because I've been spending so much time building the Lakeview house and exploring. I can see this taking up quite a bit of my time as I'm already in over 100 hours  :-X

Art Blade

Hehe, I can't count the hours spent on Oblivion. I have the game both in English and in Spanish and three additional retail CDs with DLC made available on them. I played so much that I didn't want to go into Skyrim because I still need to put some distance between the Elder Scrolls and me. Oh, and I have one of the prequels, Morrowind, which is sitting on my shelf and has remained unopened.  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

KingRat

I probably didn't give Oblivion a fare shake, might have to give it another go. That said, I've got about 200 hrs into Skyrim and still haven't progressed the main quest line very far; Diplomatic Immunity next up. I've been keeping myself busy exploring and building houses  :)

My lvl 41 has enchanting at 100 and smithing at 99. Light armor can also hit 100 depending on bonus stuff...good game. I think I'll start Dawnguard today :-X

Art Blade

building houses?  ??? Oblivion had a house in every (big) town if I remember correctly. You could somehow achieve them. I needed them because of the showcases and boxes and drawers and so on to stash my vast amount of loot away :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

KingRat

The Hearthfire DLC allows you the option to buy up to 3 pieces of land. I've bought one house in Whiterun and built 2 others. Have an armory in one house, but still not enough weapon racks  :-D

Fiach

There are mods for Morrowind to make the gfx more HD Art, Its very good with a couple of nice exapnsions.

I preferred Oblivion to Skyrim personally, even the exapnsions to me were better.

Currently going old skool with Arcanum of Steamworks and Magic Obscura.

You can get it pretty cheap here, there are also mods to give higher resolution gfx.

Art Blade

KingRat:  :-D :-()

Fiach: cheers, mate :) I remember the (pre-OWG) time when someone posted happily away about Morrowind and how I was amazed at the stunning graphics and how cool it was to think about a player riding on a horse that looked really great (back then, hehe). I never got around to buying the game when it was new but when Oblivion was released I was all in. :) Later I found a cheap copy of Morrowind in a bargain bin and thought heck, why not :) Still not played it, though  :-(

Tags:
🡱 🡳