New play through

Started by PZ, January 15, 2011, 10:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: mandru  on May 02, 2011, 08:30:49 PM
I was just wondering JRD if you were aware that you can subvert the 2 lieutenant's missions to whack their bosses and turn the tables on the guys who send you out to whack Greaves and Voorhees with a little negotiation at gunpoint?   >:D  Sometimes it's even the lieutenant that is there at the time of the hit with Greaves or Voorhees that you end up working a deal with.   :go

When that happens there are a few additional variables that are brought into the game on how you go back to the faction headquarters and get the bad lieutenant.   ^+-+

Oh FC2, Game of games! We salute you!   :bow

Although I`m pretty much like fragger regarding shooting those lieutenants on sight, I`ll make sure I have a savegame at that precise point so I can go both ways from there, thanks for the headsup, mandru!  :-X

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

That's how I came to do what I did in that pic:

Quote from: Art Blade on January 30, 2010, 09:27:40 PM
I "fired" Walton Purefoy  ;D

[smg id=1917 align=center width=400]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

by the way, regarding those lieutenants..

Quote from: Art Blade on April 28, 2009, 03:07:55 AM
Today I had the opportunity to kill both leaders of the opposing factions. The first leader was easy, he waited with an associate in TaeMoKo Mine for me. When I shot Vorhees, his associate asked me not to kill him and told me I could waltz into Port Selao and finish off the other leader. Joaquín Carbonell was in his HQ and all shades were open.

There are various ways to finish him off.

1) In the centre of Selao, opposite of the church, you'll find a blue house with a ladder leaned against the wall. Climb it, and take out Carbonell with a sniper rifle (or a rocket launcher).

2) Climb the bell tower of the church and shoot from above.

3) Stuff some IEDs and blow the place up

4) Lob a handgrenade into the office from down the street.

All the above mentioned tactics are dangerous since you have to escape town from right in the middle and every merc in town breathing down your neck...

5) Easy come, easy go:

[smg id=199]

Enter Port Selao from the east with your Carl G Rocket Launcher. There is an escape car already waiting (so that's why they put it there...)

[smg id=200]

Walk up the slope and position yourself so you can see the target (the open left window of the HQ that is)

[smg id=201]

Fire, wait, laugh, escape. Leave in peace and quiet, rather ;D

[smg id=202]

Enjoy.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

While on one of the subverted lieutenant's missions but going to the office across town from the one in Art's pictures above I had to kill my target through a window that would be opened for me.

The N.E. corner of that faction building has a wrecked truck that can be climbed making for an easy hop over to the ledge that runs around 3 sides of that upper floor.  This allowed me to go over and look directly into the window to see my victim at eye level.  Being unable to resist climbing in through the window to gloat I whacked him up with the machete but quickly came to realize I was unable to get back out of the building the way I'd come in and the normal exit point was locked to me too.   :D

I had to go back to a fortunately not too distant save point and run the mission again having learned the lesson of not climbing in open windows no matter how inviting they appear.   ;)
- mandru

Art Blade

I remember having tried that myself. I had stuck IEDs outside the building and wanted to set them off so the blast would take out my target but.. walls are nuke-proof and that was that. No door to get out.. reload  :D :)

PZ

Cool - I've not done this tactic before - has anyone tried throwing IEDs through the window for remote detination later? (once you are in a safe spot  :-())

mandru

A good thought PZ.  I haven't tried that but I would suspect placing an IED on top of the window sill would be effective.

I keep running into things I need to try the next time I go through FC2.   :-D
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru  on May 04, 2011, 11:18:35 AM
I keep running into things I need to try the next time I go through FC2.   :-D

I need to make a list - there are so many now, that I'm losing track!  :-()

RedRaven

I've found that one of the best weapon sets for taking on the merc's in that area are Shotguns, Molotov's and the good old LPO-50 flame thrower. Its not a very subtle approach, involving running between the 2 garages and getting on the roof for cover.

If you have the patience for it a sniper rifle can deal with the majority of merc's from a distance, moving in when only a couple left for close quarter action. In previous games that has taken over 3 hours to clear the area.

Which ever method I took I always went for the various items scattered around that explode, gas cannisters, ammo dumps etc.

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

I finally have a new load out!  I gave up my dart in favor of the PKM so I could carry the mighty AS50.  My usual method is to go in completely stealthy with the dart, then the 6P9, and mop up with the AR16.

This time I went to Sepoko and approached from the north - stayed by the rocks outside the area and started picking off the mercs.  I was so far away, it took them 5 minutes to reach my position, so a good number of them met their demise.

Then I moved, took a single shot, then moved again.  Using this method, they hardly knew where I was until I was inside the area.  Funny moment: the RPG merc took a shot at me, and hit the truck only a few feet in front of him.  ^+-+

This new way completely changed the fun I typically have in Sepoko.  :-X

Binnatics

I found out that it's very hard to climb mountains. It should be great being on top of one with a sniper, but apart from that, I'd like to discover the environment there. Did anyone ever try to climb the big mountain in the north-western corner of the Leboa map?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Never bother trying to climb mountains in FC2... if you don`t see a clear path taking you uphill, forget it... your jump capabilities are ridiculous, if you have to jump over a twig, you better go around it  :D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Very true with the vanilla game, however if you want a completely different experience, use one of the trainers that allows high jump and fast running.  High jump allows you to reach some places formerly inaccessible, and fast run allows you to run as fast as a vehicle.

There are other cheats as well that are lots of fun.  :-X

Binnatics

I mgiht use some cheats when I finished first playthrough. I'm not such a cheater actually, got disappointed too much by online cheaters. But for fun in SP, why not  8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

There are invisible walls that prevent you from climbing anywhere. Except there are "map holes" (basically bad programming). If you find any, it still isn't exactly easy to get there. So better stick to the regular paths until you've finished your first playthrough, then you may find it more interesting to peruse the FC2 boards and find topics that may help you do things differently :) That's how we did it, anyway :)

As to cheats, I am completely against cheating if it affects other players (as in cheating to win a MP game) but I have always liked to cheat in SP for my very own pleasure  :-()

eor123

Haven't checked in here for a while. Glad to see you guys are still enjoying Far Cry 2 as I am. I'm currently on an Infamous play through which I believe is my fourth. And I just completed a Hardcore play though.

I had forgotten how difficult Infamous was.  :D

I played the final DLC for Mass Effect 2, Homefront, and Crysis 2 recently and still find myself coming home to Leboa. I estimate that I have played FC2 a dozen times or so and I still see and hear things I've never seen.

Even though it is becoming dated, FC2 still holds up well against the bigger name games, IMO. 
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

Quote from: eor123 on May 22, 2011, 09:45:45 PM
... I estimate that I have played FC2 a dozen times or so and I still see and hear things I've never seen.
This is exactly why I'm still continuing to start new plays through, from the beginning rather than from a save at the point where you exit the Church.  The entire ambiance of FC2 makes me want to play through as though it was my first time.  :-X

Art Blade

Although I had been abstinent for a while (apart from few moments when starting from random savegames), I too started a new playthrough from scratch. Fun :)

And I agree, it still looks great  :-X

Ricamundo

Yep, im well into the 2nd map now. Just the buddy and main mishes to do, plus a few more safehouses to "ventilate". ;D FC2 has always looked great and run smooth as silk on this PC, either the old nVidia or the newer ATI. No freezes, no CTD's no serious bugs apart from the usual rock bound merc whom i managed to get with a few point blank blasts with the shotty.

Even after 3 years, and without the benefit of DX11, it still looks fantastic. For shits n giggles, try that test mode benchmark from the desktop shortcut. The vegetation looks so real, you could reach out and touch it. 8) Its a shame that the devs never trusted the FC2 community with the software(whatever its called) that could be used to make user addons and mods, like so many other games nowadays. ????
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

Indeed  :) and, indeed :-(

PZ

I really like the ability to mod - I play JC2 on both PC and PS3, and it is a real kick to have some of the mods I have in the PC version - makes it feel like the vanilla game on steroids, and completely changes the play.  However, when I compare the flawless play in modded JC2 versus modded FO3/FNV, all I can do is ask why there is such a difference.  JC2 has never crashed on me whereas I feel lucky when the Fallout series doesn't have some kind of crash.  :-()

mandru

I haven't been away from FC2 hardly at all (other than a bit of occasional Venice thrashing in AC2) and was well into the 2nd Act but I needed to run the opening part of the game to get a quote right from the Jackal's monologue at the Hotel Pala for a comment on another thread a day or two ago.

Now I'm having trouble deciding which of my two current games to play.   :'(
- mandru

PZ

While the games in the Assassin's Creed series are spectacular in their own right, there is something in the solitude in FC2 that I find even more appealing.  While I will undoubtedly return to Italy, FC2 is actually more crowded with characters in my opinion.  The towns in AC are full of people, but they are automatons with very little personality.  In contrast, I often stop to listen to the banter between the mercs in FC2, and I could swear that I've not heard some of the lines before.  While that is probably not accurate, the important point is that the game makes me feel that way.

Ricamundo

I know what you mean PZ. The merc banter in FC2 is unsurpassed in any other game ive ever played, and the complete freedom to "have it your way" keeps me coming back. I hate to sound like a broken record, but if there were a modding community around FC2 like the FO or STALKER series, FC2 would have been huge, and probably inspired an FC3 by now. :'( The same thing aways happens in the 2nd map, i have a 100 or so diamonds, with all the main pay mishes to do yet, and ive run out of things i want to buy. ::) :D
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Tags:
🡱 🡳