BL: Art's impressions

Started by Art Blade, December 19, 2010, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Call me a degenerate scoundrel of a player, then, because if I perform an excellent head shot or someone jumps at me and I shoot him right before my eyes so he explodes, I usually laugh or drop comments like "NICE!" or "Wow! That was close enough!" or "Where are you hiding? Was that all? Show yourselves!"  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on December 31, 2010, 09:51:25 AM
Lillith has some sacastic lines as well and it sounds even better on a woman's voice!

See Brick laughing as he goes berserk on enemies... that's evil!  >:D >:D

I'll probably play Lilith next. :) And yes, hehe, that Brick sounds rather insane  ^-^
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Great video, I never saw Brick in action before, I think I saw him punch and enemy dead with one hit for 1K XP lol :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mmosu

^+-+
Classic Brick!
My favorite part was the psycho that ran in at the end trying to be the hero and got a face full of boom stick!  ^+-+

Art Blade

I saw that 1k XP punch too, but I reckon it was coincidence (probably an achievement such as "kill 2,500 enemies" or some such). Still, that 1k punch looked hilarious :)

Art Blade

right now I'm mid-level 31 and doing that mission that requires me to sink three ships.

The map is enormous and sports enough humanoid enemies. What I do like about BL is the fact that time is no factor, I can play it as slowly or quickly as I want. This particular mission is very enjoyable for me if playing it rather slowly, in spite of being lvl31 I decided to make use of a "regular" sniper (no elemental powers to it) albeit its sheer power is impressive (515 single damage per round).

Higher level enemies can stand higher damage so by comparison it is not an over-the-top weapon. However, to make proper use of it, I basically have no choice but to go for headshots which at the time score as "critical" shots (something for an achievement).

While I play focussed, a headshot makes my character utter some comments or, better, laugh in a rather dirty way which in turn makes me chuckle  ^-^ Not a bad thing, it lets me chillax rather than play a little too strained. :)

At the beginning I tried all kinds of weapon types and later modded all kinds of weapons of either the same type (like various sniper rifles) or several different types like revolvers, shotguns, SMGs and so forth. That made me mod my inventory space because I couldn't carry all the stuff I wanted to test.

Now, a good while into the game, I have reduced my selection to only a few weapons, and my four favourite ones of them are usually in my active weapon slots. Playing the Hunter class (Mordecai) whose special abilities lie with snipers and revolvers made me use those in particular, but I also have a great 4x corrosive elemental power shotgun with a 12-round mag and a regular damage of 7x73 per shot (at level 31) which is perfect for any type of multiple attackers (hordes of bugs or ants in particular, but also flying targets).

I have a couple of grenade mods (I like the longbow type which teleports grenades to the target) and a few class mods (particularly the scavenger mod which adds extra loot and rare loot objects but also allows for a repeated use of the bloodwing with a rather short cooldown time, but also the sniper- and gunslinger character mod that regenerate ammo). Those "mods" are items you can find or buy, other than modding a weapon with an external tool.

All in all, with the right tools and toys, the game is fascinating and a lot of fun. And it is highly addictive :)

Art Blade

Old Haven is very interesting. That reminds me a lot of FO3. "Urban Combat" or CQC as well as sniping.. and I'm very glad I have a bloodwing which goes up and hammers down.. hehe :)

In case you don't know about that bloodwing, it's a bird that -- if levelled up and maxed out -- can attack up to six enemies before it returns to me. And.. because I found all elemental artefacts twice, it can dish out whatever elemental damage I assign it. :) Looks cool, a flaming bird popping my opponents while I sit there and whistle..  ;D

Art Blade

Old Haven was an adventure that took more than three hours until I was able to leave that town. Continuously respawning enemies with more and more sophisticated attacks as well as search&destroy missions kept me busy while minding my own stuff (I had a main mission, shut down four smoke signals across the city, and a secondary mission which was to find three keys that unlocked a treasure map in a different area outside Old Haven). The loot was tremendous both in quantity as in quality, I made more than a million by collecting and selling stuff. Oh and I levelled up to mid-32 there.  ^+-+

Phew :) :-X

JRD

OH is awesome indeed! Great combat there and a nice area to make use of all skills a character might present!

You'll be back soon to play Not without my claptrap and then move on towards the final part of the game. You can also play Zombie Old Heaven at Dr. Ned's zombie island DLC, which presents the city in a rather unique mood!  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mmosu

Quote from: JRD on January 02, 2011, 06:08:24 AM
You can also play Zombie Old Heaven at Dr. Ned's zombie island DLC, which presents the city in a rather unique mood!  ;)

Lets just say the Crimson Lance gets a taste of what they did to the bandits living there . . .  :-()

Art Blade

I've just finished that claptrap mission there :) Now level 33.

Before that, what really impressed me, was that "challenge" mission with that Rakk Hive Monster big as a house in the middle of a spacious outdoor area with swarms of Rakks coming out of it. I was lucky, however, I didn't die while I killed it :)

I haven't downloaded the DLCs yet, but that is something I'll do soon.

Currently I'm very fond of those Alien weapons.. I've got a blaster (pistol) that shoots white balls which chase the enemy!  :)

Art Blade

Oh dear, this game gets even more addictive, once I started that "get the last fragment of the key" mission I couldn't let go.. killed the bugger on that massive digger / Thor, I found the "back door" exit of the level, went through Enclave Fastness and now I'm outdoors trying to activate 2 more (of 3) consoles to get communications back online. Whoa, great level design :)

This game is really cool  :-X

mmosu

JRD

:-X

Spoiler
From now on the game gets pretty linear. However, you`ll get to fight even more different enemies now as Guardians start to guard the path that leads to the vault... nice thing is that Crimson Lance also shows up fighting you and aliens, so you`ll get intense firefight as well!  >:D >:D

Art Blade

I saw some of that already yesterday, I was watching those two parties fighting each other while I was sitting around with something to drink and a smoke :)

JRD

TIP: Guardians have strong shields but once they are depleted they become an easy target. Have a nice shock gun with you for both long range and close quarter combat. A sniper or scoped revolver and a shotty will do.

Arch guardians (the ones shooting something like mortars at you) are very powerful from both far away and close so you`ll want to shoot them down with your sniper/scoped revolver... there is another kind of Guardian that will pop out from thin air and jump on you right away with devastating blades, hence the shotty!  ;)

Corrosive for the remaining Crimson Lance and you are good to go, vault hunter!

Dammit... what am I mumbling?? By now, room in your inventory should not be an issue, so just blast them all with the best you have!  ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

Hehe :)

My loadout is comprised of four elemental snipers, an extremely powerful revolver (chimera) which randomly shoots acid, fire and shock elemental rounds plus a devastating common damage per round, two shotguns with either acid or shock, and a couple of Alien snipers and an Alien pistol (adding some random loot or booty).

By the way, when I found my way through the back door and after finishing some tough guys at the entrance of the Enclave Fastness (end of back door) I managed to climb up to the left platform at the rotunda, there was an almost unreachable weapon crate with powerful stuff. But I sacked an extremely powerful Alien blaster (about 1,000 damage per white ball fired) called "the 1010101 cannon" (or something like that digital number).

Basically all I need is my chimera revolver and the corrosive shotgun (12 shots mag, 2x acid damage, 7x conventional damage) and sometimes a sniper (usually acid) for very long range kills.  :)

Art Blade

Yesterday I finished the first playthrough. The savegame stated almost exactly "playing time 3:00:00:00" so I reckon the "3" is three days or 72 hours. It was great  :) :-X

To my surprise the one and only savegame, to be loaded on firing up the game, has got two entries now: "playthrough 1, playthrough 2" and I can choose which one to play. 1 means I can continue in the old game even though the main story is over, there are still a few side missions left to do, and 2 means start and continue a new playthrough with the same loadout and score and everything I had when playing 1.

The second playthrough seems to be a little unbalanced. The shotgun I used to take out the final boss now doesn't seem to impress even rather small skags  ???? The Fyrestone area where the game starts has a few of them at the entrance outside the camp and they take several, like 5,6 or 7 shots which are composed of 4x acid and 7x80 conventional damage per shot!  ??? It's almost like bringing fists to a gunfight. We'll see how it goes :)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on January 05, 2011, 11:19:41 AM
To my surprise the one and only savegame, to be loaded on firing up the game, has got two entries now: "playthrough 1, playthrough 2" and I can choose which one to play. 1 means I can continue in the old game even though the main story is over, there are still a few side missions left to do, and 2 means start and continue a new playthrough with the same loadout and score and everything I had when playing 1.

(...) The Fyrestone area where the game starts has a few of them at the entrance outside the camp and they take several, like 5,6 or 7 shots which are composed of 4x acid and 7x80 conventional damage per shot!  ??? It's almost like bringing fists to a gunfight. We'll see how it goes :)

Quote from: JRD on December 29, 2010, 01:01:13 PM
Quote from: Art Blade on December 29, 2010, 11:33:52 AM
And no, I don't really know what happens if I start playthrough two. What will happen? :)

You start all over... but with ALL your items, upgrades and levels!!! >:D

Enemies also level up to be par with you, so you will play the same story again but all enemies will be much tougher than the first time around. Expect alpha skags at the gates of Fyrestone, badass psychoes and bruisers right from start!  >:D >:D >:D

... oh, and the loot... aaaaahhh the loot... the tougher the enemy, the better the loot!!!  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Talk about replay value!!!

Aahaaa...  :-D :-X

Art Blade

I remember, but I didn't expect that my weapon (lvl 37) would be so insignificant.  :)

mmosu

Yeah . . . you'll have that . . .
Welcome to playthrough 2  >:D

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on January 05, 2011, 01:50:15 PM
I remember, but I didn't expect that my weapon (lvl 37) would be so insignificant.  :)

Well, the idea is to give players another go in the game but with an extra challenge! You can always start a playthrough one with another character... and mod the living crap out of it!  >:D

Art Blade

^+-+

Alright, cheers, guys  :)

JRD

If you want a nice change of pace and scenarios try Zombie Island... They tweaked the humor a few notches up on this DLC  8)

Art Blade

Yes, that was on my mind right now: Going to get the DLC soon. I already have the unlock codes from my (uncut) GOTY edition at hand :) I want to start to download those DLCs when the servers and internet aren't too busy (Time difference between US servers and Europe).

Tags:
🡱 🡳