Metal Gear Solid: Rising (all platforms!)

Started by mmosu, October 08, 2010, 02:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Yeah, that sounds right  :-D
Well, as far as I'm aware, I did find this one on my own:
[smg id=2615 align=center width=700]
Someone put these two pictures together to point out how the character design is developing (old on left, new on right).  I thought it was pretty cool to note some of the changes they made.  The new rendering looks more alive, someone else I read said it looked less "undead".  They also changed the eye color from brown to blue and made him less shiny overall.  But the thing I noticed first was how much shorter they made his teeth  ;D

JRD

Err... pardon my ignorance, but is he (it?) a brand new character or was he present in previous MGS games?

Any background on him? How did he ended up being an one-eyed metal jaw-ed killer?

Sometimes, as part of the marketing on introducing a new character or developing an existing one they release some background on the character to grab the player`s attention... I, personally, like when they do that and add depth to an otherwise wishy-washy being!  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mmosu

Raiden is the main protagonist of the "Big Shell" mission in MGS2: Sons of Liberty.  As a new recruit of FOXHOUND, he is a new generation of "virtually trained" soldier, that is, all of his formal military training was accomplished using VR.  It is later revealed that Raiden was a child soldier in Solidus Snakes' army, and he actually has extensive heavy combat and wet-w@&k experience (and the psychological trauma that comes along with being exposed to that at a young age).  Following the events of MGS2, Raiden takes on a number of high risk missions, which ultimately lead him to his fate of being severely injured, captured, experimented on, and ultimately turned into the metal abomination you see above.  If you are interested in more background and trivia, you can find it here.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Here's an interesting video with lots of clips of Raiden from MGS4, might help fill in some of those character gaps for you JRD.
METAL GEAR RISING - PROMO (Raiden Tribute)

Art Blade

when you think about it.. I watched one entire playthrough of this on YT. It was so fascinating :)

mmosu

I remember you saying that before.  man, that would be like watching the world's longest action movie!  How long was it?

JRD

Thanks for the vid and straighforward answer mmosu!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Quote from: mmosu on October 22, 2010, 03:36:42 AMI remember you saying that before.  man, that would be like watching the world's longest action movie!  How long was it?

Indeed it felt like an action movie (or more likely, a Manga/Anime) and therefore I couldn't stop. It took me about one week or more, watching a couple of hours per day, so I guess 30+ hours total. :)

mmosu

UPDATE:  RIP "Metal Gear Solid: Rising", welcome "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance"

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1214912p1.html

WTF?!!!    :knockout

Art Blade

Allowing a team to benefit from creative freedom is not the same as allowing a team to drift away aimlessly without leadership which is what happened.

The next "step" is about the same: "get things done without doing things" and "I entrust you to do what I want just the way I'd do it if I myself knew what I wanted."

All that probably won't cut it and Hideo apparently isn't cut out to do it. Kind of on the cutting edge, all that.

Fiach

They are releasing a MGS collection in HD of the previous games, BUT without the MGS from the PS one, its hardly an essential purchase to me, it would be nice by release time if it was included.

Any HD releases I have seen so far are from XBOX and PS2 era, maybe its down to the PS One architecture, thats preventing a HD being created.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mmosu

That and the fact that the PS3 is already downward compatible with the PS1.  If you already have the original MGS disc (and I do  8)) then you can just pop it right it  :-X

And as a side note on the HD issue, they did release a remastered version a few wears back - updated graphics and all.  I believe it was called Metal Gear Acid or something like that...

Fiach

Yes I do still have the original, but if you play a PS 1 game on a HD TV, it kinda looks .... well...really bad... or as Art would say, "Shite".... :)

The new HD collection will be cross platform afaik.

One thing I would hate to see, is they release it, then a few months later, release a "directors cut" with the PS 1 included.

I have only played the HD Halo which is astonishing looking and the HD Ico/Shadow of the Collossus, which is less than astonishing looking, so I'm not sure if it will be worth buying the MGS series as I have the games on PS1,  XBOX, Gamecube and PS3, I guess a wait n see policy will be needed :)

mmosu

Quote from: Fiach on December 18, 2011, 12:22:35 AM
Yes I do still have the original, but if you play a PS 1 game on a HD TV, it kinda looks .... well...really bad... or as Art would say, "Shite".... :)

It does unfortunately  :-(

When you play PS1 games on the PS3 though, there is a way to blur the blocky edges to make the lines look more smooth (I believe the technical term for this is anti-aliasing).  It at least helps a little on a high def screen, but it takes some getting used to as well and I usually don't use it.

Art Blade

Now I'm both a role model and subject to quotes when it comes to describing something unfavourable unfavourably which in itself is unfavourable. As if I'd ever use such explicit language.

And the next time some cupcake wants to quote me on that shite remember I'll bloody knock your silly block off.
Oh, s#!t. Oh f@#k.. oh s#!t!  8-X

:-()

edit: syntax error fixed.

Fiach

Tags:
🡱 🡳