Head mounted display

Started by PZ, September 19, 2010, 05:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I'm even more interested in what is down that hole in that backyard of yours.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Dunno, but there were signs of a struggle in the yard and I haven't seen the dog for a while...

PZ

lol, you guys  :-()

I hope it does well too, fragger - although this is not the first time I've tried these glasses on.  I recal trying a pair in an airport a couple of years ago, and they were rather good - the technology is even better today, I hope.

Art Blade

@ fragger: wasn't it that a couple of horses went missing around that time, too?

Quote from: PZ on October 08, 2010, 06:49:09 PM
this is not the first time I've tried these glasses on.  I recal trying a pair in an airport a couple of years ago

Yeah, I think I heard it on the news. I think that was why they started screening everyone, wasn't it?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Art Blade

mandru

I was wondering if there was an update on this.  What's the word PZ?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I forgot all about this thread - I have the glasses, and while they w@&k, it is just not the same as viewing on a large screen, so I'm going to stick with the monitors for my gaming experience.  However, they w@&k well for watching movies - I hooked them to my DVR and while certainly not high definition, you can watch a movie without disturbing others.

I'm disappointed that the glasses were advertised as including an iPhone video adapter - it does w@&k, although not quite as expected.  My biggest disappointment is not with the glasses themselves, it is with the iPhone - while you can output the video that you purchase from iTunes, you cannot output from any other video application, such as the Netflix app - I was hoping to be able to watch movies in bed using the glasses, but those fools at Apple saw to it that it is not possible with the vanilla iPhone.  Sure, one could hack into it, but there is a possibility of bricking a $500 phone.

Now Apple comes out with the iPhone 4, which does output from any video application, such as the free Netflix application, but because of my naturally pessimistic outlook, I ask myself "OK, what's the catch..." - guess what those morons did - their phone partner reduced their monthly bandwidth allotment to 2gb!  Now you can watch a Netflix movie, even up to 2-3 per month, but you'd better watch out - watching that 4th movie in a month could cost you more than watching it at the theater plus a DVD.

It is interesting (and absolutely disgusting) that these companies can come up with all kinds of cool equipment, but then restrict your usage so much that it is not worth the purchase - unfortunately for most people, the purchase has already been made.  It's really too bad - I watched some video coming out of the iPhone, and it was cool to do so - the glasses made it an almost big screen experience, even though the screen was a bit pinched in appearance.

While I understand their fear that everyone is going to watch Netflix movies at the same time, sucking up bandwidth, at least they should be honest about it - not use the ability to watch video as part of their marketing program, only for the consumer to ultimately realize that it is just one additional example of corporate lies trying to part people from their hard-earned cash.

An honest statement would be: "We have a great new feature!  You can now watch movies on the iPhone 4!  (However, it is probably not a good idea because it would ultimately be more expensive than going to the movies, or purchasing a BluRay.)"

Art Blade

sorry to hear (read) that, PZ. We can buy iPhones and decide which provider to use (different contracts) and go for a flat rate / fixed rate tariff for the internet. A friend of mine uses a high speed internet connection at a fixed premium, all that may happen is that they cut (lower) the download rate once he exceeds 2 or 3 GB download volume a month.

PZ

Here ATT was formerly the only provider that offered iPhone due to contracts with Apple.  Now Verizon begins to offer their iPhone version, and offers an "unlimited" data plan (capped at 5gb per month), after which data charges automatically apply.  I strongly suspect that once Verizon captures ATT customers fleeing the reduction in ATT data caps, Verizon also will lower their caps - we'll see, said the skeptic.

mandru

Thanks for the update PZ.  I've been anxiously waiting for it but didn't want to keep jogging your elbow.   :-D

I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out as well as was hoped.

I talk myself out of a lot of neat stuff I'd like to have because of those pesky little thoughts that occur to me when questioning a sales person.  Questions like "How can you cap an Unlimited service?  ???" tend to take the gloss right off of something that at first glance seems so bright and shiny.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

lol, my pleasure - no problem nudging topics - it is appreciated - Art'll tell you stories about how well I remember things  ^+-+

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on February 01, 2011, 12:12:24 PMhow well I remember things

You do?  ???

Quote from: PZ on February 01, 2011, 12:12:24 PMArt'll tell you stories about how well I remember things  ^+-+

No way. ^-^
:-D

PZ

Art Blade

LOL @ last post & spoiler  ^+-+

Tags:
🡱 🡳