Brink

Started by JRD, August 19, 2010, 03:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

After a few brief sessions I'm finally starting getting the hang of Brink, at least in single player mode!
Really like the caricature nature of the graphics and the slightly cheesy, tongue-in-cheek nature of the gun names.
Got to admit that my son is out-doing me in terms of progress so far but my excuse is having to tend the garden whilst we enjoy an actual summer with genuine sunshine here in the UK.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

The game is quite some fun regarding customising your character and weapons but after a while the game is repetitive. Each map has always got the same objectives and the requirement of certain classes to be present (like, there has  to be a technician to do this and that, and so on) limits your choices. However, I had a lot of fun both in SP and in MP :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Apparentely there´s a DLC package coming out on Wednesday this week. It´s going to be free for the first two weeks so if you´re interested you better get you´re greedy little hands asap  >:D.
This info came from my favorite gamingnews site FZ.se and I thought I´d give you a little heads up.  :)

Art Blade

coolio  :-D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Found the article on Bethesda Blog. It is called the 'Agent of Change' and gives 2 new districts.

HERE

And booting up PS3 to get it now :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

RedRaven

Steam are offering Brink to play for free this weekend, offer ends 1PM PDT. You need to have a steam account to play too.

As for the DLC, have not tried it yet but my kid says its pretty good for nothing. Adds extra weapon add-ons,  new outfit for each faction, a new ability for each of the 4 classes and in the generic skills, 2 new maps.

Art Blade

New weapons? That's a practical joke, you get a bayonet (a combat knife) for small weapons and a shield the size of a saucer which is wrapped around the muzzle so it may prevent you from receiving a headshot.  :D Oh wow, they did a great job  ::)

RedRaven

Yeah its a bit lame in that respect, my kid got all excited and when I came to look was a little unimpressed!
At least its free. But more ACTUAL weapons would of been nicer.

Art Blade

Just weapons  rather than something to stick onto existing ones would have been nice. One of the new abilities is to see what the enemy has buffed so you can adjust your tactics. Meh.. not really a great idea. Haven't even bothered to test that. Maybe those two new maps are something..

Binnatics

I just got Brink for free, Present from Bethesda Benelux. I sent in my Rage coupon to get it. Thumps up for Bethesda, and glad I can finally flush the bad taste away Rage gave me ^-^ :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

:-() :-X Have fun, maybe we can do some co-op/teaming-up  :)

Binnatics

I think this co-op would be a good idea. But let me get comfortable with the stuff first ;)

I was kinda shocked seeing the id tech logo at the start. :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

we came, saw, and failed.  :-D If one wants to play together it isn't exactly the easiest game to choose.

Fiach

I tried SP, I failed badly, I am now keeping the game as a monument to my failure.

Note to self..never ...I mean NEVER buy an iD game ...EVER again....

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

Maybe their next game is it, the game you have been waiting for, all your life.  :-D

Fiach

Well I spent 6 months waiting for Rage, not gonna waste any more time than that mate :)

Art Blade

heh, it isn't that waiting for a game would keep you from doing anything else.. it's just time that passes, no matter what you do :)

Fiach

Its the anticipation being totally destroyed by frustration that gets me mate, not the time :)

Art Blade

Oh I see.. better find stuff that makes and keeps you happy.  ^-^

Binnatics

Quote from: Fiach on November 18, 2011, 09:42:27 PM
Note to self..never ...I mean NEVER buy an iD game ...EVER again....

:-X :laugh:

Jim di Griz

Enjoyed reading through this thread - nice write ups Art - seems you enjoyed it for a good run. I played it last year too and took advantage of the free DLC offers too, adding the Doom and Fallout additions to gear and weapon skins. I think you've really gone to town on the customisation and created some very unique looks for your character.

I found the MP worked once the humans realised it's a co-op game and not just another solo glory-hunt. I think the Medic class is the hardest though, as you need to stay alive to be useful in the thick of it...and boy does it get intense at times. An upper level upgrade as Medic hopefully will make this easier, where you can use a regen aerosol to revive a group of downed team-mates  :-X

Mixing it up can be fun, like you mentioned the predominant favourite body type being the light class. I jumped into the 'Breakout' mission about two-thirds the way through as a Heavy Security soldier, complete with the mini-gun and a decent SMG for distance sniping. I managed to surprise the rebel team completely. It was definitely a 'None shall Pass!' moment from the pass-key being delivered onwards and that really gave my team the chance to rally and stop the breakout attempt.

I also started playing on hard level recently, which I think has friendly fire on as default - okay, you can die quite quickly but also the AI go down after two bursts too. I found that quite refreshing.

I'm not sure how many hours I've put into this game but it must be a lot over the past year. It even stays fun after not playing it for a while, which I appreciated. I have all ten character slots filled, though most are not much more advanced than level 2/7 - my main dude is at 5/23...so almost at the top of his game.

The most difficult map as Sec is stopping the missile launch - one of the 'what ifs' missions added with the DLC - that's a tough one. I think I did it in SP once but have not been able to recreate that success since. In MP that tends to be easier as you definitely need co-op teamwork to keep those defenders off your back on the last bit.

It's a real shame that the game didn't succeed, even post patch - those semi-cheerful voice clips really make me laugh every time, especially 'Mine planted :)!'
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Art Blade

:)

I did have a good time playing it and an even better time customising my gear but like many games, there is an end to it. Only few games keep me playing. The main reason why I stopped playing this one is that it is basically team MP only and those players you encounter are as random as their actions. Most of the time it was utter chaos and random win/lose moments. Same with Bulletstorm. MP team game with players that play on their own, ignoring the team aspect. All in all, it was too random and too chaotic to actually stay with it :)

fragger

Understandable, Art. There's a lot of nongs out there ::)

Art Blade

yeah but we gave those drongos a good ruffle and a teeth-rattling clap every now and then when they were flat out like a lizard drinking and then they'd just be off like a bride's nightie  :-D

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳