Modding Borderlands (links, tips)

Started by mmosu, July 29, 2010, 11:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I must have been blind, there are indeed journal discussion links for each article already.  :-[ ;D

About the Willowtree codes you mentioned.. I'd integrate them somehow, perhaps either as a caption under those nice stats pics or, maybe more fun, as a "spoiler" with a button to click so the code is revealed. That would both prevent you from having to individually answer god knows how many PMs and prevent people from asking all the time (maybe in different topics, even). It would also allow shy people to just read or click to get those without further hassle. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

You're probably right, I had considered doing that before for the locker posts, but instead I had opted to try and keep the posts short.  I probably could arrange the BBC so that the code pops up next to the pics - I'll fool around with it and let you know what I come up with  :-X

mmosu

Done! Now the Willowtree code appears next to the pics and each item doesn't take up any more page length than it did before.  Good call Art, I like the look of this better now!  :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

I just created my first mod for BL, a shield. following all the steps I made nice one with 60% health boost but when I loaded the game it said that it was a lvl 10 which is of no udse for my lvl 38 Roland. So how do I get the correct lvl on the items I create? Oh and a little tip for all beginners: In GearCalc, check the box that says "Auto-Naming" and you wont have to fool around looking for the correct title and prefix for your stuff  :-X

mmosu

Nice deadman  :-X
I'm going to assume you're using Willowtree also, since it's the most popular modding program by far.  Under both the "Weapons" and "Items" tabs and beneath the window in the upper right that displays the code for the currently selected weapon/item are two slide rules - on labeled "quality" and one "level".  As far as I'm concerned, there is never a reason to not have "quality" set at the maximum, and of course "level" should match the level your character is currently at so that you can have the most powerful weapon/item possible and still be able to equip it.  The next thing is very important - you must be sure that the item you are modifiying is highlighted in orange in the backpack list (window on the left) before you click "save changes" - if it isn't, there's no guarantee that you've actually made the changes you think you have to the saved item.  And of course, once this is all done, be sure to also save the changes to your actual saved game file (I've forgotten this one enough myself  :-[).  Let me know if you're still having any trouble with it.   ;D

mmosu

Just for fun, here is my shield:

[smg id=2566 align=left width=400]

dlc3_gd_customitems.Items.CustomItem_Shield_Pangolin_Ironclad
gd_shields.A_Item.Item_Shield
dlc3_gd_item_UniqueParts.Shield.body3_Pangolin_Ironclad
gd_shields.LeftSide.leftside4
gd_shields.RightSide.rightside4
gd_shields.ManufacturerMaterials.Material_Pangolin_3
gd_manufacturers.Manufacturers.Pangolin
gd_shields.Prefix.Prefix_Max2_Hardened
dlc3_gd_item_UniqueParts.Title.Title_P_Pangolin_Ironclad

I have this one duplicated for all of my character builds.  It's a legit item (could be generated as is by the game alone) and also a pearlescent obviously (highest rarity).  The really cool thing about this one (besides the fact is has rediculous capacity  >:D) is the feature that the flavor text, "I stand unvanquished" is a reference to - the shield instantly charges to full capacity when you get a second wind.  Anyone feel free to rip it off - consider it community property now  ;D

JRD

In an ancient stone shrine in a cave it was written...

Thou shall go for at least one vanilla playthrough

I`m working my way to fullfill the prophecy, but you are making it very, very hard to stick to the oath, mmosu  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

deadman1

Quote from: mmosu on September 10, 2010, 04:48:21 AM
Nice deadman  :-X
I'm going to assume you're using Willowtree also, since it's the most popular modding program by far.  Under both the "Weapons" and "Items" tabs and beneath the window in the upper right that displays the code for the currently selected weapon/item are two slide rules - on labeled "quality" and one "level".  As far as I'm concerned, there is never a reason to not have "quality" set at the maximum, and of course "level" should match the level your character is currently at so that you can have the most powerful weapon/item possible and still be able to equip it.  The next thing is very important - you must be sure that the item you are modifiying is highlighted in orange in the backpack list (window on the left) before you click "save changes" - if it isn't, there's no guarantee that you've actually made the changes you think you have to the saved item.  And of course, once this is all done, be sure to also save the changes to your actual saved game file (I've forgotten this one enough myself  :-[).  Let me know if you're still having any trouble with it.   ;D

I think I made the same mistake you when saving  ::) but now I´m the proud owner of not only a nice shield but also a kickass variant of Whitley´s Elephant gun  >:D

mmosu

:-X @ deadman

and JRD, I adhere to that rule myself - it wasn't until after finishing playthrough 2 that I started modding.  I've also "re-legitimized" my loadout in preparation for the next DLC - don't want to erase the challenge factor, now do we?  ;D

deadman1

Just noticed something strange. When I look at my modded weapons in the inventory they have the level I gave them when I made them, however when I move them to my equip slots the "loose" a few levels. For instance my Elephant gun is lvl 39 in the inventory but only lvl 35 when equipped.  ????

Art Blade

maybe you're so mean it frightens off a few levels of that weapon when you touch it?

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on September 11, 2010, 07:47:19 AM
maybe you're so mean it frightens off a few levels of that weapon when you touch it?

Hehe I just noticed it´s the same with all the weapons even the vanilla ones.  :-()

mmosu

Actually, what Art just said isn't far off from correct.  It has to do with your proficiency level with that weapon type.  As you gain proficiency, you also gain ability to use weapons that are leveled higher and higher above your character's level. 
For example, my Mordecai build has level 50 sniper rifle proficiency (the highest).  When I equip a level 61 sniper, the level drops to 49.  Basically what this equates to is that if  I was a level 49 character with level 50 sniper proficiency, I could still equip and use level 61 sniper rifles.  It's one of the benefits to developing weapon proficiency that often goes overlooked  :-X

Art Blade

deadman1

Interesting, looks like one more thing to take into account when modding a weapon   >:D

Fiach

From what I can gather, at the end of the main game, you are asked to "Find" a NPC, if you complete that quest, your SDU rewards in the DLC quests, will not be available, you will only get grenade mods instead.

I dont know how prevelant this glitch is, but as SDU's are very important and 'nade mods are not, I would check around before finishing the main game, if you wish to do the DLC and get SDU's.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mmosu

Not sure I follow you Fiach, it sounds like you're talking about SDU rewards in playthrough 2.  If so, SDU's only occur a certain percentage of the time in playthrough 2, and not all of the DLC's contain them as quest rewards.  Is this what you're talking about?

Fiach

In the DLC there are supposed to be SDU rewards, I havent played the DLC's yet, been doing a new Mord and Lil :), so I'll post a link and you can see what they say there as I may confuse the issue :)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/942810-borderlands/57493168

mmosu

Ah ha, I'm with you now  :-D

I don't believe I've encountered this before, but I didn't really pay much attention to when and where I picked up SDU's during the DLC's beyond Ned's Island.  It could have escaped my attention - at the very least this is the first I've heard of it  ????

Fiach

Well, I think pretty much all the space you get in the main game is enough, I dont pick up anything that isnt at least purple. I use another XBL account with "mule characters" to pass nice gear on to my other characters as I find them.

Saves me dicking around picking up money/ammo/gear for my alts, when I play them.

mmosu

I have a similar policy, but I use Willowtree to store stuff I don't want to carry now, rather than stashing it in the bank (in the DLC 2 lobby) or on a mule.  I also don't pick up anything unless the value is greater than $1,000,000. 

Fiach

Yeah that bank sounds really handy, but I watched some gameplay videos of Moxxi and it looked really boring, I know that its a shooting game, but sometimes less is more :)

Art Blade

I downloaded WillowTree (new version is a beta11 or so) - and the online gear thing is offline all day today. I haven't managed to mod a thing, the game behaves as if I had started a new game if I change anything.  :-\\

But the game is still great  ;D

Art Blade

Now the online gear calculator worked, imported it, saved changes, saved the save game.. and the game behaves again as if I had started a new game. I tried both adding a new weapon and replacing an existing one. Still the same result. Any idea?

here is a Legit repeater pistol I created

the build url: http://gearcalc.50webs.com/#tqsookllmijjnjkkrfghnghjmmnosbcefzyxrxxxxeffkabebxwvvpohmtspm

gd_itemgrades.Weapons.ItemGrade_Weapon_RepeaterPistol
gd_manufacturers.Manufacturers.Hyperion
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.A_Weapon.WeaponType_repeater_pistol
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.Body.body4
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.Grip.grip5
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.mag.mag2a
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.Barrel.barrel5
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.Sight.sight5
None
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.Action.action5
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.acc.acc1_Lacerator
gd_weap_shared_materialparts.ManufacturerMaterials.Material_Hyperion_1
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.Prefix.Prefix_Nasty
gd_weap_repeater_pistol.Title.Title_Acc2_Lacerator

Tags:
🡱 🡳