JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on June 18, 2010, 08:05:35 AM
By the way, US military use a super computer comprised of like 4,000+ PS3  ;D

... to play what? Crysis? ARMA2? OFP2?
Pong?  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Quote from: fragger on June 18, 2010, 06:26:09 AM

But I've already decided on my next gaming rig:

[smg id=2393 align=center width=380]

That's a nice set up but I was hoping for something a little more powerful than their laptop model.  :P

I bit the bullet and updated the driver discussed earlier and it seems to have worked without a hitch.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

well done, mandru :-X

Even if you screw up a new driver, you can still resort to VGA ("default/generic" windows driver) using cheap-looking graphics (like when you start windows in secure mode) and uninstall a new driver, and then install a previous version in case the new one didn't keep its promise. I did that once (and I still use an "old" nVidia driver on my XP setup) because the newer driver wasn't as good as a much older version regarding FC2 on that system.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, it's a lot better than it used to be when you had to manually switch to standard VGA first, reboot, install new driver (maybe uninstall the old driver first, depending), reboot, then switch to the new driver once you were back up. Those were fun times.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Hehehe, there were even funnier times. Remember those times when games needed VESA drivers and you needed to free conventional memory using a config.sys and autoexec.bat and commands like "loadhigh" for the mouse driver and some such crap?  :)

PZ

Good job mandru  :-X  I don't think you will regret it - I also did the update this afternoon - was using 197.xx and am now updated to the latest 251.xx.  I tried all of my games, and did not really notice as much of a change as I did when changing from the driver prior to 197.xx to 197.xx, but I can run all of my games at ultra high.

@Art and D_B - yeah I recall those days with a shudder.  I recall my first PC - was the original IBM (before the "clone" time).  The machine had a 4.77 mhz cpu, 640k RAM (not a typo for you youngsters), and no hard disk.  How much did one of those bad boys cost, you say?  I got a steal of a deal because I purchased two at the same time - they only cost me $2,250.00 each.  :'(

My first office office software was bare bones - one was PFS Write (a word processor little better than a typewriter), and a database created by Borland called Reflex.  Both of these programs would fit on a single 360k 5.25-inch floppy.

Of course, you had to write your own autoexec.bat to load the programs to your liking.  My routine to start the day was to pop in the first of two 5.25-inch floppy discs, which contained an autoexec.bat.  Part of the batch file created a RAM disk in a portion of the 640k, and then DOS instructions to copy the word processor and database program files into the RAMdisk.  Finally, the batch file contained the instructions to start a simple DOS-based menu.  From this menu, I could run either the word processor or the database in 256k of the base RAM from the roughly 360k RAMdisk.  I thought this was really cool at the time because everything was based entirely in the 640k of base memory, and the user files on the data floppy in the 5.25-inch drive.  Then when the day was over, saving the files one more time, flip the switch off and everything in RAM evaporated.

Imagine a word processor and database both loaded into RAM, and only 256k of RAM dedicated to running these programs.  Today a single temp file (of the hundreds in your temp directory) can be way larger than that.

Talk about simple days - Windows was not yet a sparkle in Bill Gates eyes, and most people didn't even know what a computer was.

Art Blade

Very nostalgic, PZ :) Man, I'm glad those days are over. I had got just enough of them  ;D

KingRat

After reading through this thread I went upstairs and gave the x360 a little love  ;D

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: KingRat on June 19, 2010, 02:36:54 PM
After reading through this thread I went upstairs and gave the x360 a little love  ;D

Better watch it, I think that's illegal in Tennessee......
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Art Blade

Ricamundo

My nVidia driver is dated January 2010, and it runs FO3 and FC2 really quite well at moderate to high settings, so i think i'll leave well enuf alone. TBH, i dont know if there's much point in updating my rig much anymore. Its 2 years old running XP, with a 9800 GTx 512mg, so it's almost an antique now. :-[

BTW what was the OT again?? ;)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

you're starting to confuse me with those abbreviations. TBH and BTW are known to me, alright, but OT? "Off Topic?" or "Occupational Therapy"?

Maybe this: "In cryptography, an oblivious transfer protocol (often abbreviated OT) is a protocol by which a sender sends some information to the receiver, but remains oblivious as to what is received."  ;D

JRD

Geez... its On Topic / Off Topic...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Ricamundo

Sry for the confusion. I was thinking OT= Original topic, which sort of vanished a few pages ago. ;D

Speaking to the topic, what ever happened to FC3 anyway? I've heard nothing since right after FC2 was released. :-\ It would be a crying shame if the sequel potential for this ground breaking game is never realized.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

I haven't read a thing about it, but you're absolutely correct - the game sure would have a dedicated following if it was anything like FC2.

fragger

Maybe the devs saw what had been achieved with the JC2 world and went back to the drawing board.

I agree that it would be a real shame if there was never any worthy successor to FC2. If it was done well, I certainly know a bunch of people that would snap it up ;)

Art Blade

Hehe, I was just visualising a meeting of the FC3 crew:

- Alright guys, we're almost finished! We'll collect awards! We'll be rich!
- Yeah, this game is cool, it will blow them away!

Door opens, another dev with very pale face and cold sweat on his forehead enters

- Erm, guys.. I nicked this off my son, watched him play it.. they call it JustCause2

Starts PC and fires up JC2, shows them some stuff

- Oh f@#k!
- Alright, guys. If we want to keep our jobs, we better start from scratch!
- Man, they're only on their first sequel! We're on our second, and it looks like pong by comparison!

;D

fragger

LOL Art ;D ;D ;D

I was just thinking... the dev team for Duke Nukem Forever must have had that same conversation many, many times. I wonder if they're still  working on it...

Art Blade

DNF.. we've got a topic about that game here -- haven't checked in a while, but I think the last thing I heard was that they gave up due to bankruptcy.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on June 22, 2010, 05:27:10 PM
DNF.. we've got a topic about that game here -- haven't checked in a while, but I think the last thing I heard was that they gave up due to bankruptcy.

There was a conflict between the devloper and the publisher regarding the ownership of the rights to the game because of the looong time they spent developing it. And there was ofcourse the enormous internet rumour that surfaced just before the E3 that Valve would announce that they were going to convert it to the Source engine and release it on Steam. None of witch turned out to be true naturally  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳