How fast can you play the game?

Started by Dweller_Benthos, June 07, 2010, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Here's the final stats page for the speed run:

[smg id=2421 align=center]

Let's see, 16 hours, 50 minutes. I probably could have trimmed a few hours off that by better planning the teleport points from the beginning, and not messing with the mercs so much.

Only five underground missions, pretty sure there's more? Never had the chance to do them, ran through the regular missions so fast.

Love that accuracy of a whopping 7%, LOL! When you have infinite ammo (122,079 shots fired) you tend to not care if you actually hit anything, and also, you tend to give those mercs a few dozen extra shots just for good measure, hehe. Plus, if I felt like shooting up a truck or something, or giving a dead merc a few extra shots to move his body into a more funny position, then I did without thinking. Another reason I could have trimmed some time from the total, if I just stopped screwing around.

A lot of walking, since I was using fast run, and only 10k of driving, from the tutorial, which I could have sped up as well.

All the buddies were dead before the landing zone except for Hakim, Michele and Josip, who I missed the chance of killing back in the beginning and didn't feel like replaying that mission to get the chance again, but the rest were killed in the main part of the game.

I had all diamonds, tapes, safe houses, guard posts, etc, so that's pretty much it. I may play a few more times to try some stuff, but I think this is it for me in FC2 for a while.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Very nice, mate  ;D

I too had a laugh at your 122k of shots fired  ;D ;D ;D And after having read that you walked a lot, I took another look at the stats and had another laugh  ;D ;D ;D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Good job, D_B :-X Just under 17 hours is a speedy run indeed, even allowing for the cheats. Especially too since you managed to get all the diamonds and tapes, and unlocked everything.

Very impressive :-X :)

PZ

Indeed impressive, D_B - I'm lucky when I can get through a couple of main missions in that mount of time.  ;D

JRD

Congrats D_B  :-X

But playing with all those cheat codes how on Earth did you manage to need a buddy rescue?  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

LOL, that's what I thought.. probably on purpose to kill him  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Nice speed run DB.  :-X

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on July 27, 2010, 04:13:40 PM
I may play a few more times to try some stuff, but I think this is it for me in FC2 for a while.

You'll get down the road a bit and think of something you haven't tried and it will drag you right back in.   ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, for some reason, I had god mode off and I walked into the fire in front of a safe house and died, not sure why. But the Chinese guy with the impossible name came and rescued me. So, that was my one buddy rescue. That's also a tip for anyone trying to get points with their buddy to move them into best position, just stand in a fire until you die and they will come get you out. A lot easier than jumping off a cliff or starting a fight with mercs. Once you are rescued, you also keep your first slot weapon since there's no one shooting at you, your rescue buddy doesn't hand you a gun.

Since speed run is a lot faster than driving, I ran when needed and used teleport otherwise. So, a lot of "walking" and the swimming comes from trying to jump across a river and missing the landing on the other side and having to swim for it. Plus, there's more than a few places where you can't get out of the water and have to swim a good distance to get to one, really annoying. There's no fast swim cheat, so you just plug along.

There are a few things I want to try in FC2 like getting a video of a head-on attack of an assault truck with just a machete. I'm not sure what I'm going to play next. I have a lot of video transferring I'd like to get done, and there's that copy of Fallout 3 sitting on my desk, plus those last few Half Life 2 achievements to try to get.....
D_B

Art Blade

FO3 is a good idea. Don't forget to search the phone boo.. er, strat guide for spider legs in case you never removed those remnants of that hairy beast from back then  ;) ;D

PZ

I think you'll enjoy FO3 - a bit old school with respect to graphics, but the story line is very good if you like post-apocalyptic worlds.  Also, after you experience the game in native format, because you enjoyed using the trainer in FC2, you'll likely also appreciate the plethora of mods available.  I used quite a few and completely changed the atmosphere of the game.

Art Blade

indeed.. you can use the in-game console commands to change walking speed, god mode, even change your size (the house is in your way? Grow a little and step over  it) and of course mod weapons so you have more power.. just download my Artmod to get started ;)

PZ

Modding FO3 allowed me to spend months changing the way the game plays.  If I weren't so interested in the new games like AC2, JC2 with their sizzling graphics, I probably still would be playing FO3.  Although I played the main missions through one time, I never did complete the side missions, which were great because the choices you made affected your destiny in the game.

Art Blade

There are almost too many side missions in FO3 to actually play them all. Plus, they can't be selected from a pull-down menu, you need to find the right people (NPCs) and perhaps even then the right circumstances to get them to offer you a side mission. I don't remember how many there are, but I believe there are around 100 or even more. In case you killed an NPC before he could offer you his mission.. you had one less to worry about.  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, my concern is that I will be so into FO3 that I won't want to do anything else, and that gets dangerous!
D_B

Art Blade

Don't worry, you'd get over that. After perhaps 2 or 3 years playing on a daily basis.  ;D

PZ

I don't know... the way D_B plunges deeply into a game it might be a decade or more.  ;D

Art Blade

now that you mention it, yes.. indeed.. especially if he decides to map FO3 first.. ;D

PZ

Well, whatever he does, I'm sure that we're going to hear about many things that perhaps none of us have discovered yet.  ;)

Art Blade

do you mean that he might be going to quote extracts from the manual?

PZ

hmmm.... I don't think so - D_B has always come up with completely unique perspectives - ones that I've not ween elsewhere.  ;)

Art Blade

No matter what.. he deserves a long gaming period. After mapping FC2 for more than a year he only found time for a speedrun to actually see the game through for the first time. He'd better not start to map FO3 but get right into gaming :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳