Funny Moments

Started by batdog, May 24, 2010, 04:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehsam016

I was hunting down a bounty the other night in the snowy mountainous area (forgot the exact name). Anyway, after i finally got to his location i killed all his bandit friends only to notice he was still cowering on top of the hill. So after a few seconds i notice him slowly running towards me. As he comes around the corner I lasso him and then proceed to hogtie. However after finishing hogtying him, his tied up body slides and falls off the side of the small cliff we were by. At first it kinda freaked me out since i thought that killed him, but a quick glance over the cliff surprised me when i saw him at the bottom still struggling. So then it took me about 20 mins to find a way down without dieing all while being shot by bandit reinforcements. But im happy to say i finally got him down, and raced back to blackwater for my much deserved bounty =P.

Art Blade

Nice one :) Sounds like cliffs are a force to be reckoned with in that game ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

Marston's not nearly as agile as Rico.   ;D
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

Good stories guys - I can't wait to get back into the game and experience some of the things you all have been posting about.  :-X

tehsam016

Well it appears I didn't complete that bounty mission i had previously posted about since I just recently turned on the game and noticed I was still in the mission and had to return to Nikoti Rock to get the same bounty. So i thought why not and headed there to finish what i started. This is by far the best location i've got a bounty simply because it's on a huge cliff. Well this time it actually took me two attempts, and this is why:

First attempt: I cautiously went up the mountain, dismounting off my horse about half way up. As i slowly crouch walk up the hill, i notice two bandits walking down the hill. I drop the one in front first, and quickly shoot the other in the leg making him stumble around eventually falling and rolling off the side of the cliff, but somehow survives. Then, A couple more guys come rushing down to help, but i quickly dispatched them, shooting another one in the leg again making him tumble down the cliff (this time killing him in the process). As i finish the last bandit I notice the bounty racing towards me on his horse. While he's racing towards me i go into dead eye and shoot his horse many times making the horse fall and hit the ground making the bounty fly off. Since they were going down a slope with a cliff at the bottom, the bounty of course rolls down the path, and careens off the hill killing him in the process. As i go down to loot his body for the reward, reinforcements are already converging on my position. Next as i try to leave the reinforcements get up to me starting a brief fire fight. In the midst of the fire fight a bear decided to get into the action and knocked me down. As i got up to shoot the bandits while trying to keep away from the bear, the bear comes out of nowhere hitting me one more time making me die.

Second Attempt: After restarting at the nearest save point i decided this time i would take a more direct approach. So after reaching the location again, i notice one bandit is at the bottom of the hill this time. Since this was the case I had no other option to shoot him, alerting the rest of the posse. Right after dropping the loner at the bottom I head up the hill only to notice about 4 guys running down the hill to investigate. As they turn the corner I promptly go into dead eye and aim for their legs since they were running down the same slope as mentioned earlier. After nailing them all in the legs, they all tumbled and rolled down the slope one after another all falling off the cliff at the end killing them all. I almost had to pause because i was laughing so hard, the physics are a good reason this game stands out, simply because you get totally different reactions when you unload on people (especially those who are next to ledges). But anyway, that pretty much finished off all the bandits except the bounty, but i simply walked up the hill and lassoed him as he was trying to flee on his horse.

I am now on my way back to Blackwater, but i just had to pause and share this glorious moment as it's probably one of the funniest i've encountered yet.

Art Blade

I wish I had been there, too, watching.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Great story tehsam016  :-X

I like your techniques, and will give them a go when I return to SP play.  I'm enjoying playing the MP maps for the moment, even if only to shoot someone and become notorious, with a bounty on my head  ;D

fragger

Quote from: eor123 on May 27, 2010, 10:05:41 PM
Interesting that Cambridge Dictionary says that the term has its origins in Australia?

From Wiki:

This expression came into usage during the last decade of the 19th century, most likely originating in the American southwest, although the Cambridge Dictionary makes the claim that the term is of Australian origin.[1]

Thanks Eyeore :) There's been so many posts in this thread in the last few days, I kind of lost track of the question...

Interesting... I can't imagine how "Mexican standoff" could have come about here. The only way I can think of is this: the state I live in is New South Wales, and south of us is the state of Victoria. So, on occasion, we in NSW jokingly refer to our Victorian neighbours as "Mexicans" (since they live south of the border). This seems to me to be a pretty unlikely source of the expression, though.

And nobody knows why our state is called New South Wales. We'd have to ask Captain Cook, but since he got conked on the head by irate Hawaiians and thus is no longer available for comment, even if he had lived to be 282 years old, we'll never know.

Art Blade

That nickname "Mexicans" sounds like a good idea to me as to where that expression came from... sometimes rather silly things make it into the books  :)

PZ

This was more than a funny moment for me - it was hilarious.

I entered a poker game and started betting like there was no tomorrow.  Naturally, I lost everything I had, but when the game ended, I donned my bandanna, then lassoed the poker dealer and hog tied him.  Then I carried him off to a secluded spot he was discretely dispatched with ease.  Finally, I looted all the night's takings from his dead body.

The detail to which you can carry out your sandbox activities amazes me.  :-X

tehsam016

Nice story PZ :). Glad to see that you're enjoying it so far. I love the bandanna as well, it's useful if you wanna rob a bunch of people for some poker money ;P.

KingRat

I managed to bust the high stakes game in Blackwater; walked away with 5000 chips ($500). I've accumulated most of my $20,000 through hunting :)

I had an eagle in my sights when a fox jumped up and bit my arm, while trying to shake him loose a bear bowled me over. I managed to off him, but his brother got me  ;D

The  stranger 'I know You' part 3 got to me when it hit me what he meant  :'(  :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: KingRat on June 06, 2010, 12:59:04 PMI had an eagle in my sights when a fox jumped up and bit my arm, while trying to shake him loose a bear bowled me over. I managed to off him, but his brother got me  ;D

omg LOL  ;D :-X

tehsam016

Just recently had a rather humorous and confusing moment..I was hunting in Tall Trees a little while ago, shooting deer and elk left and right. However there was a brief moment where i couldn't find anything worth hunting so i wondered around a little bit. As i ventured a little bit further down the hill, i noticed a camp with two men carrying around and stacking tnt boxes. The devil inside me told me instantly to shoot one of the crates, but I opted to be nice, and stayed out of their business as they didn't appear to need any help or anything. So as i go back up the hill to find some more animals all of a sudden I hear one of the men say something like "What are you doing!?", then just a split second after that a huge explosion goes off. As i turn around all i can see is a big smoke cloud, but no camp. Im not sure if one of them dropped a case or what, but when i went over to them, they were both laying dead on the ground about 20 feet apart. I then looted them both and went on my way :P.

Art Blade

Hilarious  ;D You should go visit that place more often to see if someone else is about to do the same thing, and then you better shoot one of those crates before they blow themselves up ;D

KingRat

I saw those guys first in the desert north of Ridgewood in the Halsey Passing area. I got close enough to hear one say "we need some more dynamite" then the other guy with the German accent (as he goes to light a smoke) "vee need to be carefull, one spark and....BOOM....DEAD! Restarted at my campsite  ;D

Next time I saw them was NE of Blackwater near the river. This time I sniped the TnT barrel, not a trace of their camp left.....I've seen them twice since in the same area, and both times I put the scope on them they ran off. When they were clear I hit the TnT, and the camp was still there including the chest with $49  :) Well, $49 the first time, $43 the second.

Haven't seen them or Grizzly Adams in Tall Trees yet though.

tehsam016

Does your honor go down if you blow them up? Just wondering for future reference :P.

PZ

Cool - I've not seen those guys before - will be definitely looking out for them now  :-X

I get the feeling that your honor would go down (if you kill them) unless they're hostile to you, but I don't know for sure.

KingRat

Quote from: tehsam016 on June 07, 2010, 04:58:29 PM
Does your honor go down if you blow them up? Just wondering for future reference :P.

yea,  -50 iirc

The 'Deadalus and son' quest ticked me off  >:( After running around and getting all his stuff I got the message  'you need'  ....so as I go to leave I pull out Henry to off some wolves, and behind me I hear this Aieeeeee!  Turn around and the guy's gone  ;D Anyway, I go get some more Beaver and this time don't sell them before I get there....as I approach the site the 'you failed the deadalus mission' pops up....WTF? I go on up and he still asks me if I've got the stuff, but I can't answer so I pushed him off the cliff  ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: KingRat on June 08, 2010, 12:28:09 PM
... I can't answer so I pushed him off the cliff  ;D

I like your attitude  ;D

fragger

Me too. Actions speak louder than words ;D

PZ

spaceboy

*********slight spoilers*********
I'm nearing the end of the story missions and two things were quite funny.  I had to capture Javier Escualla and as I brought him back to Reyes group my horse promptly trampled one of his men (at a slow trot mind you)  failed the mission due to assaulting Reyes men.  No problem another chance to chase down Escuella.

The other one was riding into Blackwater to meet up with Agent Ross I came in at full hilt on my steed and jumped off only to fall and roll into a fetal position nearly getting trampled by my own horse.  Yes, I've gone out and killed all these men, the hero returns...whoa....crap... **looks around sheepishly while getting up**

I didn't have time to finish that final? mission (Dutch), it was longer than I thought so hopefully I can put it to rest tonight and see safe passage to my wife and child.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

****SPOILER****

For anyone that wants to finish the game as John Marston, rather than Jack (his son), then I'd advise not completing the Dutch mission, or at least saving a game prior to that mission.

There's nothing really wrong with Jack, and you end up with the same equipment. etc, but his voice is more like a youngsters, and for the immersion value, I miss being John.

tehsam016

I'm hoping they expand on Jack in future DLC. I feel most people don't really like him since you dont really get the chance to ever really play any story missions with him (except when he was a little boy). I'd say i like both the characters equally, and it was a good way to transition to the end of the game/allow players to play after the game is over. It'd be too much like GTAIV (or any other free roam game for that matter) if he lived and you continue to play as him (since none of the main characters died in GTA or the DLCs).

Tags:
🡱 🡳