Tips and Tricks

Started by PZ, April 15, 2010, 10:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

and yes.. by the way, you can check my or compare our achievements when you check our group (OWG) at steam. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Cool!  I didn't know that  :-X

Art Blade

just edited the previous post and added a hyperlink. Just click on a member of the group (me) and then you can check or compare.. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Nice - you don't even need to be signed in to see the stats.  :-X

Art Blade

FYI

I split this topic to continue the discussion with
Jump Track / stunt driving

Thank you.

Art Blade

Here's a cheap tip ;)

Why buying from your Black Market Dealer when you can get..

FREE special vehicles

At least the colours usually are special.. Just find any vehicle-bound race and start it. You don't intend to win a race but instead to keep the vehicle (which would have been yours anyway after winning the race). Like that you may get nice red cars, planes, bikes... enjoy ;D

Art Blade

Car Wash

Quote from: tehsam016 on June 20, 2010, 09:16:14 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but you can drive through shallow water and wash off your car if it's dirty :).

Quote from: tehsam016 on June 21, 2010, 03:52:59 AM
I love going off road then finding some nearby water and clean my car/bike when i'm done :).

Cheers mate, just tried it.. drove to a beach and carefully drove into the water. At first nothing happened, so I went in a little further, and then a cracking sound and some sea spray shot up and part of the dirt was gone. I was a little surprised by the sound but tried again, same procedure, same result, this time the car was clean.

Hehehe, must have been quite solid, that dirt, to go off with a bang  ;D

tehsam016

Haha yeah must have. Just gotta be careful not to drive out too far. I have a couple times, drowning my car instead of washing it lol. Guess it still gets the job done though in a way :P.

Art Blade

Hehehe :) I saw some govmen wash their cars that way too.. they just went over a cliff and took a bath next to their sunken car. They looked as dirty as ever, though ;D

PZ

Good tips!

As always, great experimentation in the true spirit of OWG  :-X

tehsam016

Just recently found out you can slightly control vehicles while in stunt mode. I'm sure most of you probably knew this/mentioned it before but i just thought i'd put it out there.

Art Blade

cheers :)

By "stunt mode" do you refer to (perhaps accidental) jumps?

tehsam016

I mean when your standing on top of a car. You just use the same controls as turning left and right while driving, but that's all you can do. I'm not sure if it works with jets but I shall try it in a little while.

Art Blade

Ahh.. I surf cars a lot, and I like facmen cars best to do so because the boys don't complain all the time (instead they cheer you up with lines like "Let's find something to blow up!" and may even help fighting govmen). My favourite action while surfing cars is to shoot and blow up pursuers from both front and rear (let alone bikers that manage to pull up to the side)  :)

tehsam016

Sorry guess I should have made myself a little more clear. You have to be the driver of said vehicle in order to control it whilst standing on it. And yeah I like that your allies support you/even help fight sometimes.

Art Blade

Oh.. GEEZ! You mean, when you get out of your driver seat to swing yourself up onto the roof, you can steer your car from up there?! :o Whoa.. got to try that!  :-X

tehsam016

Yeah, it gradually comes to a stop but it's useful if you're being pursued.

Art Blade

I will experiment with that :)

And here another tip (more a tactic)

Taking out large military facilities without much effort

I tested it yesterday after having completed quite a number of compounds which usually caused quite some trouble and maximum heat and choppers etc. I wanted to do it differently this time and it worked nicely.

The trick is to avoid blowing up stuff at the beginning, save it for later. Circle around the compound trying to find collectibles. When you encounter enemies, shoot them and try to hide until the heat cools off completely (doesn't take too long as long as you don't allow it to rise much). Keep looking for upgrade parts etc, and start homing in on the centre. Take out watch tower guards so they don't rise an alarm every time you pass them.

Funny thing, when you sneak around after your first encounter, enemies may try to find you and flock to the other side of the obstacle you're hiding behind. In my case, I was on a higher platform cowering near the outside of the compound waiting, and when I moved to the inside, I saw two groups of four or five govmen lined up against the wall below me. I jumped down already firing, and picked them one by one in only a few seconds with my MG. Like a training camp lol. Happened again, they came running at me in a line, I shot the first who got replaced by the man behind whom I shot who got replaced.. almost funny how they ran into my line of fire and were "dropping like flies"  ;D

Then I blew up stuff and waited for the heat to cool off, there were practically no enemies left. So I could blow up what was there and complete the settlement. They only called for reinforcement once and sent in a chopper surprisingly early (almost no heat) but the chopper was no match. All in all, quite simple to do it this way, but it takes some time. :)

Art Blade

Quote from: tehsam016 on June 21, 2010, 05:06:54 PM
You have to be the driver of said vehicle in order to control it whilst standing on it.

Just tested it, you can steer the vehicle with left/right but it is kind of subtle. Good if you want to change lanes on a street or avoid an obstacle, but not enough for a drastic change of direction. Still, very useful, thanks sam  :)  :-X

tehsam016

Haha no prob, and good strategy :). One of my newer strats is to stay low to the ground in a chopper when attacking bases. While staying low I circle around the base destroying AA guns first, then go for the bigger stuff (or general if theres one present.)

Art Blade

I did chopper raids like that, too :) At least with mouse and keyboard they're not handling too well so I do it trooper-style  ;)

Generals are most vulnerable to headshots. A good amount of them died by my sniper rifle  ;D

PZ

Good tips guys - I didn't know about the subtle steering one.  :-X

The different techniques you guys present indicate the almost unlimited potential in open world experimentation.

On an aside, I love the govman line: "we're dropping like flies; send in a chopper!" (your comment reminded me of that line, Art)

Art Blade

that was exactly the line I had in mind, PZ  :)

PZ

plus, the Asian accent is priceless  ;D

Art Blade

yep :) One of them has got a really silly way of pronouncing his line (only that one line) "He's trying to hide!" and the "He's" sounds almost like "Heesh" ;D The whole line sounds like from a comedy theatre  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳