Gaming Rig specs

Started by RedRaven, March 19, 2010, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Nice rig :) The monitor upgrade will be a huge step forward, perhaps a widescreen of at least 22" in screen size :) SSD are still young technology so don't rush it :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Gotta have something like your 26", gonna check the prizes right away ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Indeed widescreen is the only way to go.  I recall playing FC2 on the console first, then migrating to the PC where the extra width nearly took my breath away.  It was almost like I was playing with horses blinders in comparison when playing on the PS3.

Binnatics

I just found this amazing screen: ASUS VE276Q. It's for sale for 311 euro, so I'll have to wait until may, tax refund will help me on that  :)

Other monitors of that size are maybe 50 euros cheaper, but I think I'll stick to this one. And maybe in a month or 2 the price will reduce a little  ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

judging from the model/type name it is a 27" monitor.. whoa. :) :-X

Binnatics

We sure have enough power underneeth 'the hood' to blow the whole facility away i guess, let's see where we got so far...
Spoiler
So far so good:
[smg id=3233 width=500]
It seems we were able to find our way to the primer testing labs. Let's find a way to get past all that garbage

Yeah, woooha!!!! I hope it fits on my desk ;)

Art Blade

you might use it as a desk  ^-^

fragger

^+-+

Nice rig you have there, Binnatics :-X

@ PZ, I was the same when I got my WS monitor and fired up FC2 on it. Wow, Cinemascope :-D

mandru

Very nice Rig Binnatics.  With 3.2 Ghz quad core on your CPU you better be hanging on tight when you give it a nudge with the spurs.   ;) 

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

Thanx guys! :)

@Mandru: what is "a nudge with the spurs"?

Art Blade

pardon me if I'm a tad quicker and answer that question: By "a nudge with the spurs" mandru was referring to a horseman, a rider, who wants his horse to go faster. Spurs are those things you'll know from Cowboy films, what they wear on their boots that sounds like a bag full of spoons when they walk.. in other words, once your rig gets started properly, hold on tight  :-()

fragger

mandru

Art covered it pretty well, sharp points worn on the heels that can be dug into a horse's flanks to encourage horses to run faster than they would typically want to.

Funny I thought "a nudge with the spurs" would be more universally understood than my original thought of saying "...you better be hanging on tight when you twist it's tail"  which would mean tossing your computer into high revs for some demanding application.  Or is that too slippery too?   ????  :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

"slippery!" ^+-+

In German we use an expression quite similar to "a nudge with the spurs", we say "dem Pferd die Sporen geben" (which would translate to "give the horse the spurs" while "give" in this case means something like "let him have it" or "use spurs on the horse")

mandru

I could have almost read "dem Pferd die Sporen geben" but would have messed up the present tense on geben for given or as in "the spur given".

Interesting though, the word for horse "Pferd" is very similar to our word ford which at the time it was coined through current time (not river current ;)) is a shallow place in a river that a rider on a horse or a horse drawn wagon can cross.  Does any of that reflect back across the other way into German with amusement due to the automotive company Ford producing cars to ride in and the name being so similar to "Pferd" another type of ride?
- mandru

PZ

Perhaps we've been mistaken this past century and the man's name was actually Henry Pferd  ????

I can see the commercials now... drive the new Pferd Bronco
... nothing like riding in a Pferd Mustang
... introducing the world's first economy car, the Pferd Pinto!

Binnatics

Haha, I can imagine seeing a Pferd Pfiesta riding around  ^+-+

In holland the name for Horse is 'Paard' and the word you mentioned as a place to cross a river is called a 'voorde' in Dutch. In eastern regions of holland the word for Paard sounds more like Peerd, pretty similar to the german Pferd.
We also say 'knol' to a horse, but I think they mean the big powerfull horses used to pull carriages.

Art Blade

Haha, Pferd Pfiesta  ^+-+

I think Ford and Pferd have nothing in common.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ford

QuoteO.E. ford "shallow place where water can be crossed," from P.Gmc. *furdhus (cf. O.Fris. forda, O.H.G. furt, Ger. Furt "ford"), from PIE *prtus (cf. L. portus "harbor," originally "entrance, passage;" O.Welsh rit, Welsh rhyd "ford;" O.E. faran "to go;" see port (1)). The verb is attested from 1610s, from the noun. Related: Forded; fording. The line of automobiles is named for U.S. manufacturer Henry Ford (1863-1947).

mandru

PZ's model names were pretty funny but Binnatic's Pferd Pfiesta cracked me up.   :-X

Thanks for the feedback on that Art.   :-X
- mandru

PZ

JRD

Upgrading my old rig... finally  >:D

Here's what I got

- Processor Intel i3 2120 3,3GHz (2nd generation of the "i" series - still reading about it for in depth info)
- MoBo: Gygabyte P67A-UD3P with 2x2GB DDR3
- Power source Thermal Take TR2 500W Real.

Will keep my good'ole nVidia GT9800 1GB as it still has lots of fuel to burn  >:D

I'm still missing a good coller for the rig but I can go with that for the time being

I think the i3 was a good choice for it's cost/benefit. An i7 would be much more than I can use and maybe the i5 would be the perfect choice, but it was twice as much as the i3. The MoBo is the one coming along with the processor having Intel technology in it... not many choices where I got it anyway.

Will assemble the parts this week and might have a gaming rig by the weekendb :)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

That reminds me... I forgot to mention my cooler actually, the most beautiful part in my case. I've googled a lot to come to the decision what cooler I wanted. First I wanted the Scythe Muggen because of it's excellent cooling power and all the nice reviews all over the internet, but it was sold-out and had a delivery-status of... unknown. So I kept looking around, and fel in love with the cool Scythe designs.
Actually, I made my final choice on pure esthetical values: I finally chose the Scythe Kabuto 2. It's design is so nice, I couldn't imgane another cooler in my case anymore. After installing the whole bunch of hardware I only took a second look at it once (when I installed my new graphics adapter) and still I feel sorry for not having bought a transparant case  ^-^

Look at the shiny design with these great heatpipes... I should buy a motorcycle once  ;)

[smg id=3223 width=300]

Art Blade

JRD, even today a dual core is good enough for most things. Most of the stuff you see is a tad over the top so I think you made a good decision with that CPU :)

Binnatics.. you could still buy a show case :) That cooler looks splendid, indeed  :-X

mandru

Uhh Binnatics... My Thermaltake V1 glows blue while it's running.   ???

Just kidding Binnatics.  Your Scythe Kabuto 2 looks amazing.   :-X

My V1's glow adds nothing to temperature control but it does the job and I love it even though it's 3 year old tech.   :-D

JRD, I came across an article the other day about CPU's and the state of the art and one of the things that surprised me was that the author of the piece still thought very highly of Pentium Dual cores (as Art stated just above) that were up in the speed ranges you described for you i3.

3.3GHz really is nothing to sniff at.   :-X

The author's position was that it was rare to find any programs (almost never games) using the additional multi-threading capacity that the i5 or i7 have built into them so in gaming your CPU is going to post results that compare on a par with those more expensive relatives of your card.  This also means that your 3.3GHz i3 would probably leave my 3year old i7 with 2.93GHz in the dust frame rate wise on some of our favorite games.

All that to say I think you'll be pleased with this new set up.   ;D
- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳