Gaming Rig specs

Started by RedRaven, March 19, 2010, 08:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

@ JRD - its the 2100 cpu, so only the tiniest of steps down from yours.

Regarding GPU the next step seemed to be the GTX 5** (or something along those lines) but they were around 4 times the cost. Recent email informs me that it has already been shipped so with any luck may get it with tomorrow's post (hahahaha!)

Last remaining set back is that it is not yet on the net as modem is downstairs, PC upstairs and not got a long enough cable so awaiting the arrival of a USB modem for it, getting too old to be running up and downstairs between gaming and online activity.

CURRENT RIG COMPONENTS
Intel core i3 2100 cpu
4GB RAM (2x2GB)
ASUS GeForce GT520 gpu
500 GB internal drive
2 TB external drive
On-board sound
Microsoft Natural ergonomic keyboard
Microsoft 5 button mouse
Logitech X140 speakers
HP L2151ws monitor
Windows 7 (64bit)

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

nexor

My Rig's Specs

Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
Intel Duo E7500 2.93GHz CPU
CORSAIR® Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - Pre-filled, Closed-loop System,
Integrated Pump and Reservoir with 120mmm Radiator and Fan.
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT Graphics Card
Onboard Sound
4Gig Ram
800Gig Hard Drive: C
230Gig 2nd Hard Drive: D
40 Gig External Hard Drive: G
MSI G31M3 Motherboard
17" AOpen CRT Monitor
A4 Tech 5 Button Mouse

Binnatics

I'm really impressed by the liquid cooling  :-X
Can you adjust it to cool your graph processor as well, or do you need to buy an additional unit if you want to do that?

Nice rig by the way. Seems you and I have one thing in common: A monitor that needs upgrade ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

Nope it cannot, it's sole purpose is to cool down the CPU, see the pic
Spoiler
[smg id=3605]

Binnatics

hmmm, that means you need to of these cases at the back of your system... or can you keep them inside the case? In fact, it looks like a fan... can you just mount it the way you mount an extra fan inside the case?
Anyway, there will be a good way of mounting them to your case as well. You won't cary it around all the time won't you  :-D

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

First you must have a case that can house the 120mm fan, the spot would be in the back of the case, like any other fan this fan and radiator are attached together on the inside of the case with long screws included in the package, then the other unit screws in where the heatsink goes on top of the Processor, it comes as a unit as you see in the picture, no liquid topping up or anything, you install and forget about it, just keep the grill clean from dust.

nexor

I just had a look at my supplier's product list, Thermaltake manufactures cooling units for Memory cards and Graphics cards, have a look at some of the products.
Spoiler
Thermaltake® Cooling - NorthBridge WaterBlock
Thermaltake® Cooling - P500 Pump - WaterCooling Pump
Thermaltake® Cooling - AquaBay M2 , 5.25" 120mm Radiator with 120mm 1300RPM Fan
Thermaltake® Cooling - TMG ND VGA nVIDIA 6800/7800/7900 GTX WaterBlock
Thermaltake® Cooling - SR100, High Capacity Reservoir , 225cc
Thermaltake® Cooling - TMG ND4 VGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX WaterBlock

Binnatics

Seems to be getting quite popular allready. I remember when I bought my system, 3 years ago, it was only for the realtime tech-whizz-kids and hard to obtain. By that time I only found one liquid cooling product, that was a heatsink model for GPU, that could be connected to a liquid-cooling installation. That's why I imagined a kind of liquid-cooling-system that would serve the entire PC. My case has these holes made especially for 2 tubes for the liquid to go in and out the case. Maybe you can set up a system in a way that it's completely watercooled with only one liquid-reservoir outside the cache.

mandru

I'm really squeamish about liquid cooling coupled with electronic systems.   ????

For how many years have the water pump on automobiles been mechanically driven by way of a belt on a power take off pulley instead of an electric pump?  There's gotta be a reason for that.

My computer case has the reservoir for liquid coolant and there are even additional in/out ports in the rear of the case for an industrial rated external liquid cooler but I'll hang with air cooling for now.   ???

Liquid cooling is an interesting idea but then so is picture windows in luxury suites for extended deep sea submarine tours.  I'm just not ready to trust the structural integrity of either of those ideas.   :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

nexor

Luckely most MSI motherboards includes dual core center software whereby you can keep an eye on the CPU temperature, CPU clock, GPU clock, memory clock and a few other things,

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru  on August 11, 2011, 04:22:44 PMso is picture windows in luxury suites for extended deep sea submarine tours.  I'm just not ready to trust the structural integrity of either of those ideas.   :-D

^+-+ Kudos +1 :-X  ^+-+
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

mandru is full of punchlines...  :-X  ^+-+
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

I've upgraded my videocard, and chose an Nvidia based card this time. I've had an ATI high end card twice in a row, (both of the manufacturer Saphirre) and both cards crashed within the warranty period. ATI, and especially Saphirre, have done no good to me.
I asked my vendor if they had more customers complaning about these cards, and she said that indeed that last card of mine, HD5870 Toxic, had a very high 'bring-back-rate'. She also said it's a matter of luck, and that others swear with a brand that for others always works out problematically.
Well, anyway, I'm glad I've left ATI behind. Far too many trouble.

My new card, an ASUS ENGTX570 Direct-CU-II (that last extra part of the name stands for the cooling system) is about to make up a lot where ATI let me down.
It looks very solid. Even the cap around the cooling fans is metal; aluminum if I'm right. The whole cooling system is quite revolutionary. The copper heatpipes are in direct contact with the GPU. The (five) heatpipes come out if the core heatsink unit and then split into both directions alongside the card into two additional heatsink membranes (or whatever these metal structures are called) who both cary their own fan.
The complete cooling structure is so big that the GFX card is 3 slots thick :o
Here are some pics. The first shows the hugeness of the card, the second shows a bit of detail on the heatpipe-heatsink idea.
By the way; you also have a look at my Skythe Kabuto CPU cooler, with also quite some nice heatpipes ^-^ Man I love these copper contructions :-D
[smg id=3808 width=600]

[smg id=3805 width=600]

Art Blade

Excellent. I know about the troubles you went through and do hope that nVidia manufactured a snug vid card for you to be happy with and that for a change lasts and doesn't cause crashes all the time (unlike ATI) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I've been very happy with my nVidia card - has not given me any problems (yet)  ????

fragger

Impressive :-X

Hope it serves you well, Binn :) I've never had any trouble with any of my three consecutive nVidia cards so I'll be sticking with them come upgrade time.

Art Blade

I can second that, never had any problems with my nVidia cards  :) :-X

nexor

nVidia is also very popular on this side of the globe, Congrats on your "new" rig Binn.....

Binnatics

Thanx guys!!!

Yesterday I payed a game of 'online free mode' in Liberty city with Art, and I was stunned, really completely shocked by the graphics I was shown. Everything was so detailed, so damn tranquil and serene (those were the words I was searching for yesterday, Art) and indeed fluid that it was the most relaxing and satisfying gaming exp. I've had in a long time. I remember I was staring at a boardwalk for e few minutes not really realizing what I saw there: I found out that the entrance-part of a building was made out of metal. I mean the small "own-ground" slice of the street where some grow a small garden and others have a piece of stone to show off. Metal! :o Who would make that part if his house/street out of metal? :o Anyway, it was cristal clear, even Art confirmed it. So it must be one of these Yankee habits I don't understand, but that's not the point. The point is: I've NEVER SEEN SO MUCH DETAIL in the game. And everything looks so beautiful: I've seen lots of things like 'for the first time'. I always thought I had a high-end card, but ATI seriously F*ed me there, that's for sure 8-X

Anyway, It was an amazing experience. I recall everything I've ever said about ATI cards and recommend NVIDIA to all form now on. Period!!

Art Blade

"even Art confirmed it who is the last guy on earth you'd expect to see that kind of detail and whose graphics card is so old it is short of a miracle he finds his way around in GTA IV at all and by all means, I'd never have asked him if there had been just anyone else around who was willing to just listen to me." >:D

:laugh:
Alright..  :-D It was a pleasure watching (and listening to) you enjoying your new vid card  :)

Binnatics

No need to modify my post now, would I? :-D

Art Blade

??? Damn where did that come from! :laugh:

Binnatics

It's been a while since I updated my Rig info here, and I have dadicated an entire topic on the problems I had with my former (cursed) rig, so I thought it was about time to post my new rig now that it's installed and working!

Here we go Binnatics' New Rig:

Motherboard:        MSI Z68A-GD80 (Gen-3)
CPU:                     Intel i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz
Graphicscard:        ASUS GTX780 Direct-CU-II OC
Int. mem:             4X4Gb DDR3-RAM Corsair Vengeance (1600 mhz)
Powersuppl:         Be quiet! System Power 7 600W (80 plus silver rank)
Case:                   Cooler Master Centurion 590 Midi tower
Sound:                 Logitech S200 black, 2 speakers and subwoofer
Headseat:            Creative Soundblaster Arena Surround
Monitor:                Acer S243HL, 24" FullHD LED widescreen   
Hard disks:            2X SSD OCZ Agility 3 120Gb
                             2X Maxtor diamondmax 21 250 Gb in Raid 0 array
Optical drive:         Sony DVD-RW +/-
Keyboard:             Microsoft basic Keyboard 1.0A
Mouse:                 Revoltec Fighting mouse Pro. (laser tech, for ultimate precision)
Oper.system:        Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Paper-device:        HP Photosmart C5380 All-in-One

I waited with posting the stuff here until I was 100% sure everything works like supposed, and after some testing I'm sure now that the curse is gone :-X ^-^

Art Blade

???  A freakin' SOLID STATE DISK!!!  ???

Very nice rig there, Mr Binnatics  :) :-X

Apart from that old hairy black and white cathode ray tube dinosaur of a 4:3 "monitor" that is.
:-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳