Stashes, Tips and Secrets

Started by RedRaven, February 10, 2010, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

Goes to show that some Stalkers can be as dumb as Mercs in FC2!
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

deadman1

Quote from: RedRaven on March 06, 2010, 05:58:03 AM
Goes to show that some Stalkers can be as dumb as Mercs in FC2!

Maybe we should start a "stalker stupidities" thread?  ;)

Art Blade

Heh, actually I haven't seen dumb stalkers but the ones I just mentioned. The AI is pretty cool, they usually don't get stuck, they move smart, seek cover, flank you... pretty darn good job, I'd say. But if you guys have seen something worth a topic, go ahead :)

I've finally found the "Heart of Oasis" and it was both funny and embarassing. I had always thought it was under the Ferris wheel because one of the stalkers I had asked pointed me to it. You can probably imagine what it was like trying to get there, because that Ferris wheel is on the other side of a fence (which marks the end of the map). Then I found a vid on youtube by accident and thought oh dear, that is the place? It wasn't in Pripyat but in Jupiter. Despite of some guide I had read somewhere long before I was ready to find it myself, where I had learned of concrete pillars and "starfall" (as in waterfall) effects indicating where to go etc, I did not recognise the place when I was there coincidentally.

It is in Jupiter, in the lower middle of the map next to railways, a small building with rats and zombies and a maze of huge pipes, and eventually you'll notice you're running around in circles and whenever you get set back to the starting point, you hear loud noise. It is a square room with "lanes" marked by probably a dozen concrete pillars (like 4x4 pillars) leading straight from one end to the opposite end of the room. Just use a different lane each time you run through, and avoid the starfall blocked lanes until there are four of those (you'll hear a crack for each starfall layer created upon rearriving there). If you got it right, there should be four "star gates" ;) one on each lane, through which you finally need to go to unlock the path to the Oasis. Remember the ladder in the middle of that room before you grab the artefact...
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Quote from: Art Blade on March 06, 2010, 07:10:53 AM
I've finally found the "Heart of Oasis"

It took me quite a while to finally get through those "Star falls", good job that they stay lit up when you pass through the correct ones so it was a case of trial and error in the end. I did find a map that claimed to show the right way through, but no matter how you read the map it didn't w@&k :( .

As for "Silly Stalkers" there are not many cases, the only ones I've seen are to do with Emissions, they seem to not get the same info on their PDA's as we do as a player, several times in Zaton I've seen them start a few metres from a safe place and run away from it only to die half way between there and the next safe haven, seems to be more Bandits than Stalkers doing that so no great loss, saves the bullets would of used to kill them later anyway ;D .
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on March 06, 2010, 07:10:53 AM
Heh, actually I haven't seen dumb stalkers but the ones I just mentioned. The AI is pretty cool, they usually don't get stuck, they move smart, seek cover, flank you... pretty darn good job, I'd say. But if you guys have seen something worth a topic, go ahead :)

I've finally found the "Heart of Oasis" and it was both funny and embarassing. I had always thought it was under the Ferris wheel because one of the stalkers I had asked pointed me to it. You can probably imagine what it was like trying to get there, because that Ferris wheel is on the other side of a fence (which marks the end of the map). Then I found a vid on youtube by accident and thought oh dear, that is the place? It wasn't in Pripyat but in Jupiter. Despite of some guide I had read somewhere long before I was ready to find it myself, where I had learned of concrete pillars and "starfall" (as in waterfall) effects indicating where to go etc, I did not recognise the place when I was there coincidentally.

It is in Jupiter, in the lower middle of the map next to railways, a small building with rats and zombies and a maze of huge pipes, and eventually you'll notice you're running around in circles and whenever you get set back to the starting point, you hear loud noise. It is a square room with "lanes" marked by probably a dozen concrete pillars (like 4x4 pillars) leading straight from one end to the opposite end of the room. Just use a different lane each time you run through, and avoid the starfall blocked lanes until there are four of those (you'll hear a crack for each starfall layer created upon rearriving there). If you got it right, there should be four "star gates" ;) one on each lane, through which you finally need to go to unlock the path to the Oasis. Remember the ladder in the middle of that room before you grab the artefact...

Oh that gave me such a hard time until I found a tip on net. The easiest way to light up the "starfalls" is to imagine the pillars as a 4X4 grid when seen from above. Now start at the left side of the room and go through the gap between the pillars in a straight line and out the exit. After you have been teleported back to the start, repeat that with all the gaps. Now all you have to do is walk trough them starting with the one closest to you and Bob´s your uncle  ;D

Art Blade

well done, deadman, the last part of the info you gave is what I forgot to mention :)

Red, yes... I've noticed the discrepancy between player and AI regarding emissions. But I don't mind Bandits, they leave me alone  :)

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Quote from: Art Blade on March 06, 2010, 08:58:41 AM
But I don't mind Bandits, they leave me alone  :)

They make for good target practice, specially head-shots from a distance with weapons that don't have all the Flatness upgrades.

You can generally kill bandits with no detrimental effects to your standing with any of the other factions. I guess scum is still scum at the end of the day.

I more often than not see fire-fights between Bandits & Stalkers at the little camp fire on the road between Skadovsk and the Dredge (just to the north of the large cranes). Its easy to observe from a distance, using a good scope to take careful shots at the bandits. Tends to confuse them enough so that they loose to the Stalkers. Then its a case of getting to the corpses as quick as possible so that you get some loot before the surviving Stalkers grab it all. Another place in Zaton for such common clashes is the camp near the swamp, just down from the sawmill, and at the Claw anomoly too. Cant recall similar locations in Jupiter & Pripyat.

edit Just remembered there are often fire fights around the cement factory, usually Bandits and Zombies. :-X

deadman1

I´m in freeplay now with one mission left, I need to help the Monolith squad into the stalker camp at Jupiter. Now I think I may have botched that mission during my playthrough as I never did get Duty or Freedom to really trust me. Is there any way to accomplish that now short of using some sort of cheat?

Art Blade

Probably not. I assume you got and sold the PDA with the story of the founder of Duty to someone? It's part of the optional scientists missions to do research on anomalies which requires the prototype detector. The bunch of guys trapped in that space-time anomaly drop out dead and one of them has that PDA on him. Sell it to Freedom and that should already do the trick :)

Art Blade

Quote from: RedRaven on March 06, 2010, 09:13:40 AM
good target practice

Try shooting those crows out of the sky. That is proper target practice and fun, too  ;D (They drop out of the sky when you hit them)

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on March 06, 2010, 11:09:19 AM
Probably not. I assume you got and sold the PDA with the story of the founder of Duty to someone? It's part of the optional scientists missions to do research on anomalies which requires the prototype detector. The bunch of guys trapped in that space-time anomaly drop out dead and one of them has that PDA on him. Sell it to Freedom and that should already do the trick :)

Darn it!  :D I sold it to Duty thinking I could score some points with them and ofcourse I forgot to save just before in case it didn´t w@&k out. Oh well just another thing for the next playthrough.

Art Blade

I can't exactly recall what I did, but I befriended Freedom even before selling that PDA to anyone. If I had sold it to Freedom, it would have unlocked an achievement "friend of Freedom" which I wanted to avoid, so I sold it to Owl.

Art Blade

quick and successful attempt to get the Oasis artefact. Check out how this player moves through the columns. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfds66Gscn0

PZ

I still love my stupid FC2 mercs - they nearly always give me a laugh with their predictability, and their outrageous lines  ;D

Art Blade

That's what I like, and what makes me go back to FC2 every once and again. In Stalker, it's more serious and life-threatening and less fun (regarding comments, there are only a few Russian lines they keep repeating).

Ricamundo

Just finishing up my 2nd playthru of CoP. 8) I've been wondering what the Stalkers are saying in their Russian conversations. Is there a translation anywhere?
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

fragger

We need a member from Russia :-D

Art Blade

thanks to glasnost and perestroika we should be able to welcome one or three of them  :)

RedRaven

@Ricamundo. A while back I did find a translation of some sorts (exactly where and how it was presented is lost in the dim fog that once was my memory). Will scout about and see what can dig up for you.

Also I'm not sure what dialect difference there is between Russian's and Ukrainian's in the Russian language but will find out if it makes a difference.

RedRaven

After it appeared to be down the ZSG (Zone Survival Guide) site is back for Shadow of Chernobyl, better yet there is also one for Call of Pripyat :)

There are basic maps  for each are in the game but not a complete map as of yet.

And some very well put together interactive maps, along with a guide on how to use them. Each shows areas of interest with a mouse-over pop feature telling about it.

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳