Started by RedRaven, February 05, 2010, 11:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Nice scope on that 3rd pic, Art...  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

That mutant dwarf looks like Master Yoda

Art Blade

The scope is on my G37, a high contrast scope which is good especially in darker areas. The weapon is (when upgrades are maxed out) as precise as the best sniper rifle although it is an assault rifle. I think it always looks like this, the scope, but there are many different scopes available to mount on various rifles (not all of them can use scopes though)

"Yoda" for "burer" is a term I picked up on a different forum which I posted in the tips topic, where you can find a nice description and summary of the game. I found it funny :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Quote from: PZ on February 26, 2010, 02:11:01 PM
No where near as cute or humorous though !!!
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Absolutely correct you are  ;)

fragger

Quote from: PZ on February 26, 2010, 02:11:01 PM

I thought he looked more of a cross between the Emperor and Freddy Kruger :)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

I found a way to get rid of the hud (always wanted to see the night black without glowing hud elements) but a screenshot taken at night won't be helpful for you, so here goes:

open the console ("~" key, the one left of "1" and above TAB) and type hud_draw off (on/off or 0/1)

[smg id=2044 align=center width=400]

PZ

Impressive!  That's great looking weather, especially without the hud  :-X

RedRaven

Nice find Art, was looking for something similar myself but could only find a mod that removed it permanently, which is no where near as useful.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Thanks Red, if you were looking for something like that, you (and I) could as well have looked into the options menu>game> down there, last entry, "show interface" and uncheck it. It disables the HUD  ;D Apparently the command unchecks the display option, and if you check it there, it equals "hud_draw on" lol

Both versions can be done in peace and quiet, i.e. if you are being surprised and wished you could see the HUD, just hit ESC. The console is accessible from there, so is the options menu. Change the setting, and return to play. :)

Art Blade

Two white dots? Sometimes you want to know what it is in front of you...
[smg id=2045 align=center width=400]

...or maybe not.
[smg id=2046 align=center width=400]

PZ

Those white dots in the dark look menacing, even without seeing the flashlight version  ;)

Art Blade

You should have heard the growl in the dark...  ;D You can see how dark nights are, really, especially with the HUD switched off. Without flashlight (did you use that word? I thought it was "torch" for you :) ) or night vision device you see close to nothing. Which is funny if out of the blue you drop into a gaping crevasse in the ground. Only to find out you're half dead by the impact and about to lose it when you hear more snarling and growling homing in at you  ;D

PZ

Flashlight is we use in these parts - for us, a torch is something a caveman carries, and if not careful will set his cave on fire  ;D

Art Blade

muahahahahaha, good one, sorry and thanks  ;D :-X

Art Blade

Some Screenies.
[smg id=2063 width=400]
[smg id=2064 width=400]
Pripyat impressions.
[smg id=2052 width=400]
[smg id=2053 width=400]
[smg id=2065 width=400]
[smg id=2066 width=400]
[smg id=2059 width=400]
[smg id=2058 width=400]
[smg id=2057 width=400]
The next three images show the same anomaly.
[smg id=2061 width=400]
[smg id=2067 width=400]
[smg id=2054 width=400]
This guy has been shot, I gave him a medpack.
He got up, but there is still blood dripping to the ground.
[smg id=2055 width=400]
I cropped the pic so you get a better view: you see a dog dragging a rat... lol
[smg id=2056 width=400]
The AI does loot bodies. And they are quick about it!
[smg id=2060 width=400]
And when you had it all, simple pleasures make your day.
[smg id=2062 width=400]

PZ

Cool pics - about the dog eating the rat - were you using night vision?  If so, how dark was it without using it?

Art Blade

No, I was using a "high contrast" scope that just does what it says and tints everything yellowish (plus I edited the pic, brightened it up). In complete darkness you can't see a thing with it, but it is great in twilight (dusk, dawn, sparsely lit rooms). Annoying thing about it: When you use your armour's or helmet's night vision (everything nice bright and green) and then put that scope to your eye, you kind of black out for a moment until you have adapted the difference to dark tones, ranging from almost black to amber and yellow. So I either carry two otherwise identical weapons but different (built-in) scopes, or decide prior to my trips which one to take with me.

PZ

Sounds quite immersive  :-X

Art Blade

The game is kind of a mixture of FC2 and FO3. It is still great to play when the story is over, the free roam and free play is just going on. There are many many opponents (humans, humanoids, mutants, and mutated animals). You can always pick a fight with bandits if you like, in Zaton, and in Pripyat there are Merc Soldiers who are quite a nice challenge. You can continue to collect and sell loot (man, I can't get rid of that habit hehe) and explore the rather big maps. Since there is a weather system as well as day and night cycle, you will always see your environment in a slightly different manner, never ending fascination. You can get all kinds of weapons and armour and upgrade them to your heart's content. I love that game :)

PZ

I'll probably get this game one of these days - your enthusiasm is evident!  I'm still playing FO3 believe it or not, but only in free roam mode and an occasional quest.  I'm still mostly into modding the game and seeing how it affects it rather than actual play.  ;D

Art Blade

ah, I edited the previous post while you replied (lol, again). There are mods for stalker games, too. I usually don't mod my games (until you kind of made me want to do it with FO3) and if I do, I do it so I can play better (see my own artmod for FO3) or have more fun. While I see the fun of modding, I think you should actually play through once with your mods so you see how it actually works throughout an entire game ;)

PZ

I'm close... really close to actually playing  :-X

I forgot to mention that I have dozens of mods and many of them conflict with one another - one of my joys at the moment is using FO3Edit to resolve those conflicts so that the game runs perfectly.  I guess that I like the coding aspects of things almost as much as the finished product  ;)

Art Blade

I understand that :) Maybe you should consider getting into the Eden Kit and modify your own stuff... I did, the artmod for FO3 was the result of both a need ("real kick-a$$ guns" and real mean body guards) and curiosity. I thought I could do it myself, and create what I need, and it isn't too complicated unless you are up to change whole game aspects such as weather etc, that is beyond me and I can't be bothered to invest too much of my time into that kind of thing. Just a few tweaks and I'm happy :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳