Far Cry + Far Cry 2 50% Off On Steam!

Started by wexer9, February 04, 2010, 01:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wexer9

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3414/

Hopefully this brings a few more people into the Far Cry 2 community. :)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I'm on it, mate...................  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I saw it this afternoon and was just waiting to get home and download it right away!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

FarCry is still coooool, you'll like it I bet. Funny funny funny comments and lines you'll hear. Those mercs talk a lot and "you" (Jack Carver) do, too  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I know... I played the original Far Cry back in 2004... I'm getting it for nostalgic reasons only!!  ;D ;D

Art Blade

excellent  :) I played it not so long ago (about a year or so). Was a blast from the past and felt good  ;D

fragger

For anyone that hasn't played the original Far Cry (if there is anyone), here's a very brief rundown:

It's not open world like FC2, but still many of the missions are as non-linear as they could make them. There's more than one way around in most levels, and some levels are quite large. No ironsighting of weapons, but there is an "aim" function which zooms you in a little and increases your accuracy. Also some weapons can be switched between semi-auto and full-auto (I miss that). It's level-based, once you've completed a mission and moved on, you can't go back.

It's very pretty to look at, set in the Pacific, with waving palms, white sandy beaches and tropical paradises. As in FC2 you can commandeer any vehicle you come across, but due to the nature of the game, the places you can drive in are limited (with a few notable exceptions). There are dune buggies, 4-wheel drives (which may be armed with machine guns, rocket or grenade launchers), big trucks, Zodiacs, patrol speedboats (armed as above), and hang gliders. A couple of levels have flying-foxes you can use, these are fun.

A bit more "out there" than FC2, in that there are genetically mutated monsters to deal with in addition to mercenaries. Weapons are all "down-to-earth" though, and most are real-world - no exotic energy weapons or anything like that.

Good value in that the game is quite large and takes some time to get through, longer than a single straight playthrough of FC2, if memory serves. The non-linearity of most missions adds to the replay value.

Graphics aren't as sophisticated as FC2's, but still excellent. Physics, AI and rag-doll effects are on a par with FC2.

The story is involving, and your character of Jack Carver is funny and engaging.

And yeah, some funny lines. One of my favourite Jack quotes (just after blowing up a comm tower): "Ooh, yeah! I love the smell of Primacord Plus in the morning!" ;D

JRD

Oh I remember cursing the save system on FC1... checkpoints sometimes are reached when a bullet is about to hit your forehead or on some nasty situations.
To avoid that, and also because I just purchased the game ( ;) ) I did a quick search on the net for some cheat codes... you can save anywhere and then reload, which is very welcome.
Nothing new, of course, but it fits the topic, so why not?
Also, since I finished the game more than once, I`m elegible to an "All Weapons" cheat to make life sweeter!!

Here they are

Console Commands
hit the '~' key to bring up the console and enter the following:

Cheat............................................. Effect
\load_game <name it here> ................quick load
\save_game <name it here> ...............quick save
\map dam .......................................dam level
\map factory ...................................factory level
\map swamp ....................................swamp level
\map river .......................................river level
\map catacombs ..............................catacombs level
\map boat .......................................boat level
\map cooler .....................................cooler level
\map archive ...................................archive level
\map rebellion ...................................rebellion level
\map control ....................................control level
\map regulator ..................................regulator level
\map steam ......................................steam level
\map bunker .....................................bunker level
\map treehouse .................................treehouse level
\map research ...................................research level
\map pier .........................................pier level
\map fort .........................................fort level
\map training ....................................training level
\map carrier .....................................carrier level
\map volcano ....................................volcano level
\map demo .......................................demo level

Developers mode and codes for it

Start the game with the -DEVMODE command line parameter. One way to do this is to make a shortcut to the game on your desktop and right click the shortcut and edit the properties. Then before the ending " put in the -DEVMODE option and click ok. Then, press one of the following keys during game play to activate the corresponding cheat function. Note: When in developer mode, all levels will also be unlocked.

Cheat ................................Effect
F3 ....................................Create spawn point
P ......................................Give all Weapons
O .....................................Give 999 Ammuntion
F4 ....................................Togle no clip (fly throuhg walls and things)
F2 .....................................move to next checkpoint
F9 .....................................save curent positon
F10 ...................................load current positon
F11 ...................................toggle extra information
F1 .....................................toggle first and third person view
backspace ..........................toggle bgod mode
equals ................................inc. speed
minus .................................dec. speed
F5 .....................................return to default speed

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: fragger on February 04, 2010, 04:54:06 PM
A couple of levels have flying-foxes you can use, these are fun.

It's been a while, what are those? Don't recall anything flying except the hang gliders.....
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on February 05, 2010, 11:04:36 AM
cable car / zip-line http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_fox_%28cablecar%29 :)

OK, still don't remember those in the first Far Cry, though that's no proof, lol. Remember what section it was?
D_B

Art Blade

If I remember correctly, it's when you start a level on a rubber raft (after that informant guy met you at a pier at the end of the previous level), approaching that little fishing village with a shark hung from a pole. I believe it was when you had to destroy some kind of cell towers, located high on hills. A level with a lot of water and islets. I think there was one of those cable cars. Been a while, though, I might be wrong :)

fragger

@D_B, I remember there being three, at least. There was one in the level where you start in a fort, and there's a raging battle going on outside between mutants and mercs. After you've cleared the fort, there's a high hill nearby with a hang glider on top of it (there's a path you can take to get up there, or you can climb up a ladder from inside a kind of pumphouse). You can take this glider virtually straight ahead over a wrecked bridge and all the way out to a small offshore island with a guard tower on it, and then you can use the flying fox to get back to the mainland. This was actually a huge level, and when you get near the other end of it there's another large battle happening around a bridge after you've gotten past the lighthouse. Another high hill with a guard tower overlooks this, with another flying fox to get back down from it, if you choose (you don't have to use it). That was one of my favourite levels in the game as it was one of the most non-linear ones.

I know there's al least one other flying fox, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was - it's been a while for me too :) Art may be correct, I know the level he's referring to as it was another of my favourites in that game, but I can't remember if there was a flying fox there or not.

If it comes to me I'll let you know :)

Dweller_Benthos

Huh, don't remember those at all, strange. I played on PC, were you guys on consoles? Shouldn't make a difference, but you never know....
D_B

wexer9

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 09, 2010, 12:33:44 PM
Huh, don't remember those at all, strange. I played on PC, were you guys on consoles? Shouldn't make a difference, but you never know....

Far Cry is PC-exclusive. A console port was made, but it was a different game, Far Cry Instincts. Several sequels were made to the console port.

Art Blade

interesting, didn't know that, wexer9  :) And indeed, I never had a console.

RedRaven

Its odd that they didn't do the original Far Cry for consoles. Reading this thread reminded me that there is Far Cry Vengeance for the nintendo Wii which for reasons I can't recall never ended up getting.
Just looked it up on Play.com and nearly had a heart attack when saw the cost. £90 ! (about 100 euro or $140). Its not even a special edition release either just the basic game. Amazon have it at £36 which would be a little reasonable if it was a new game. But as its just over 3 years old now even £36 is extortionate. Was expecting it to be £10 - £15 tops. What a joke.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

fragger

That's outrageous, RedRaven! £90 for a 3 year old game? Thieving sods! >:(

@D_B: Yes, that was on a PC. The flying foxes were in out-of-the-way places, I didn't even discover the first one I mentioned until I was on about my 7th-8th playthrough.

@wexer9: Intruiging bit of info there, cheers!

wexer9

I've never had a console, either. Unless you count a Nintendo DS. PC all the way! :P

Anyway, that is an outrageous price. Does it come with any special hardware, a la Rock Band?

Art Blade

probably a solid metal hammer to w@&k your own forehead over with, in case you actually bought the game at that price.

Dweller_Benthos

I may just have to play good old Far Cry again, all this talk is getting me nostalgic. It was/still is a great game.
D_B

Art Blade

you make me want to play that again, too :) Remember you could shoot the birds out of the sky, little blood mist and feathers floating down...? ahhhhh  ;D

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on February 10, 2010, 01:07:18 PM
you make me want to play that again, too :) Remember you could shoot the birds out of the sky, little blood mist and feathers floating down...? ahhhhh  ;D

Really? I'll have to try that...
I started playing it this weekend and was surprised it doesn't have ironsights!!!
I didn't remember that! You can only bring the weapon closer to your face, but not as if "aiming"...  :P

Art Blade

yes, shooting sessions were a favourite pastime for me. Those birds don't grow back, though (unless you redo the level). Most of the times, when I had spotted a flock of birds, I spent every single bit of ammo taking down all parrots and seagulls and whatnot, until the sky was empty. I loved that sport  ;D

Art Blade

Ah, forgot to say, you can shoot birds in stalker CS too :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳