What is he saying? (Afrikaans/Cape Dutch)

Started by fragger, January 29, 2010, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on September 21, 2010, 12:31:44 PM
Yeah, the only way I've thought of to do it would be to turn on AI ignore, and walk around while recording, hoping that someone says the clip you're looking for. Not exactly a guarantee of success. That, and I think most of the Afrikaans is spoken during battles, where it's sometimes hard to hear what anyone is saying.
Yes that's true, when on a mission I save the game just before attacking a post, then activate fraps and hopefully some of the mercs speak Afrikaans or Zulu, that way I have the clip with audio and can play it over and over to make sure I know what they say, Afrikaans is easy, the Zulu is difficult because some of the phrases have more than one meaning, and it takes a while to suss it out.

Art Blade

One thing just springs to my mind: Go to Port Selao, enter the church tower so you've got a safe haven and then throw a grenade down (or shoot someone). That will always make a lot of mercs run around and shout stuff. Sometimes Afrikaans and Zulu :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Quote from: Art Blade on September 21, 2010, 04:03:43 PM
One thing just springs to my mind: Go to Port Selao, enter the church tower so you've got a safe haven and then throw a grenade down (or shoot someone). That will always make a lot of mercs run around and shout stuff. Sometimes Afrikaans and Zulu :)

Sounds like fun, I'm on my way there right now, will keep you posted

Art Blade

I used to do that for quite some time, even better with some cheats enabled (unlimited ammo, god mode, ignore_player.. you name it)  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Quote from: Art Blade on September 22, 2010, 04:50:55 AM
I used to do that for quite some time, even better with some cheats enabled (unlimited ammo, god mode, ignore_player.. you name it)  :)
Now what would we do without you Art... :-X
I realy had some fun, got some Afrikaans out of the mercs, tried several times, no luck with Zulu, will try other places...........Going to try and post them, keep an eye out for them, hope I don't get banned, there's a curse word or two...................... 

Art Blade

Don't worry about bans, mate. In general we keep up "good" language, but once in a while both admins let slip a four-letter-word  ;) Forum filters for the most common swearwords are merely a reminder to keep up a good quality.. It does make a difference if you read through forums where everyone keeps swearing all the time and then compare it with forums like ours where language is always at a nice level. If you quote a game that uses curse words, we'll perfectly understand the situation  ;D

And I'm glad you liked the Port Selao experience  ;D

mandru

On the subject of extracting merc dialog through direct interaction with them for translation.  You might not want to include the AI ignore.

The suggestion of turning on all the cheat bells and whistles so that you can jump in with them and stir things up is good but I think that the AI ignore option may actually limit some of the possible responses.  Under the influence of AI ignore the only way mercs can get a fix on your location is if you non-lethally shoot one of them then he can shoot back.

Also if another merc witnesses you non-lethally shooting his buddy he will also return fire but if you clean kill mercs firing on you, even if they are part of a larger group, your position again becomes obscured for all mercs present.

Dialog presented when they can't see or find you may be selected from a different set of situational options than possible where they have you in sight and want to get you as quickly as they can.  At least it might be worth a try.  :)

It seems to me that the bad language protocol breaks into three categories.  Putting forward a strictly non-official list drawing from my experience here at OWG.

1. Game quote's, we've all heard them and are minimally ruffled by them.  Though even quotes are often blunted as described in #2.

2. Language directed towards a game character or a situation within the game or a frustrating situation in the real world.  These occurrences are often self filtered with inserted @#$%*& characters to blunt the words impact without obscuring the meaning and even if that's not the case members have typically been self limiting on the amount of invective they've placed in a post.

3. Swear words directed at another member (I've never witnessed this  ;D :-X).  I am fairly certain would be received with a huge  >:((   by most members.  I suspect that predictable reaction and the fact that the members that have settled here do have a refreshing level of maturity has probably been a principal deterrent to that situation.  Though I'm pretty sure an breach in this convention would earn the offender a quick trip to the woodshed for some firmly applied tutelage.   ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

;D

re: cheats. Well, if not player_ignore, then at least god mode. They can banter and shout all they want, right in your face :)

nexor

I have a few video clips where the mercs speak Afrikaans, maybe I'm missing something but I don't seem to find the 'Image Gallery' to post the clips

Art Blade

it's now called "media" and can be found on top of the page, in the menu bar.

Dweller_Benthos

I was thinking of using AI ignore to get the banter between mercs, which is hard to get otherwise, because, unless you're in town, they just go from relaxed banter mode to attack mode, where a different set of reactions would be called for. To get the attack comments, of course, it would be better for AI ignore to be off, but god mode on :-)

Just offhand, at the moment I don't recall ever hearing Afrikaans or Zulu in relaxed banter mode, just in attack mode.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

yep, and understandable: When they talk to one another, they want to be understood -- English. When they swear to themselves, well, they can as well swear in their native tongue  ;D But some lines in Afrikaans sound like they were commanding someone to do something, which is odd.

nexor

Yep, you guys are right, as you will notice with the five videos I posted, and It's only the ones speaking Afrikaans and Zulu who's doing the commanding, quite strange........

nexor

Oh, and I hope I done it right............. ;D ;D

PZ

It worked fine nexor63  :-X

Because they are wmv format it makes them a bit large so it will be best for viewers to go directly to the media gallery to view the videos.

Thanks for translating!  :-X

Art Blade

Great, your post started my 2nd page of this topic (50 entries per page) so I don't get to see the extremely expanded topic due to those MASSIVELY oversized embedded media players any more  ;D Typical MS.

nexor

What whould be the best format for the vids?

PZ

Although wmv is fine if that is your format of choice, I personally have found that uploading my raw video to YouTube has been a great way to process the video.  The YouTube server will take almost any format you have and convert it into what they deliver on the 'net.  Once the conversion is completed, they give you a share link which you can paste directly into a forum post, or create a media link in our gallery if you want to fill your own album.

nexor

Oh yes!! now I remember, sorry guys...........will post the future ones on youtube...

PZ

No worries - with all the options possible on the 'net these days, it takes a bit of poking around to find the best solution.  ;)

Art Blade

Just to be fair, fragger started the whole subject and now the "audio files" topic became more prominent, so I merged the original topic fragger started with the one nexor63 started (as kind of a continuation) so now we have both together. :)

fragger

I don't mind being merged for the greater good :-D

Art Blade

;D

I always try to merge topics that have the same subject as long as I can keep a (chrono-)logical order of the posts so we avoid confusion and double posts etc. The credits gets the one who started first, in this case you. :)

Art Blade

Quote from: nexor63 on September 25, 2010, 06:50:19 AM
What whould be the best format for the vids?

Just wanted to pick that one up: You may go on uploading wmv files. Since this forum's software automatically embeds simple links, in this case it starts MS media player that really, really is too big for the post, I found out that you can avoid stretching the post beyond its "natural" borders if you hide your link inside a spoiler tag.

Only if you click on the spoiler will the player "explode" (hehe) and pop up only for the person who clicks that spoiler. Once you click it again, the player will hide again and the format of the post (and the board) will be what it is supposed to be. :)

Example:

Spoiler
[smg id=2589 type=av]

mandru

Quote from: Art Blade on October 02, 2010, 07:00:32 AM
Only if you click on the spoiler will the player "explode" (hehe)

Re: Spoiler Box

"It's full of stars!"    :o

Spoiler

:-D  >:D  ^+-+
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳