What is he saying? (Afrikaans/Cape Dutch)

Started by fragger, January 29, 2010, 04:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexor

I'm one up on you ole buddy, I included a link to OWG........... ;)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Hi guys, here is some Zulu for you.

I have just uploaded a short clip of what is said in Zulu over the radio before and after the news broadcast........

The Zulu words spoken on radio before and after the news broadcast;

ULALELE ILIZWI LABANTU means, U are listening to the words of the people (LABANTU means people)
UMSAKAZO WOKUKHULULEKA means, the wireless of freedom (WOKUKHULULEKA means freedom)

The voices heard while the drums are going are not actual words spoken, and the drums going is just part of the music being played.

Spoiler
[smg id=2272 type=av]

edited the code so it embeds properly (sorry, size can't be changed) /Art // re-edit: due to the fact that MS' media player kind of explodes in size, I decided to put it in spoiler tags to keep it in check. Still works, but only expands when clicked :)

deadman1

PZ

Thanks for the translation nexor63 - I've listened to those lines countless times and have always wondered what it meant  :-X

Art Blade

thanks man, cool! Even a transcription of the Zulu text!
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Now all we need to do is learn how to pronounce it  ;D

fragger

Great w@&k, nexor63! :-X Thanks muchly!

nexor

Seems like we're on our own, Ubisoft(FC2) management is not even responding to me emails.
I'm going out to merc posts to pick a fight so I can capture the audio, so if you guys have clips or manage to capture those scenes I can then translate for you that way.. :)

Art Blade

Sad, really, how Ubi again displays a brilliant act of customer care.

I bet our guys will provide you with vids, though. :)

nexor

Seems like the members who are still playing FC2 are not realy interested in what these mercs are saying, because no one has come up with any vids or audio. A pity, because this is a brilliant game, the only one that I know of where you can play any part of the game over and over and you cannot play two of them exactly the same.

PZ

Truly - I tried locating the merc files in the extracted set, but had no luck.  Funny thing is that there were plenty of other sound bits, but not the lines.

Art Blade

I tried to dig up something using google. All I found was nexor63's request at FC2HQ (thanks for your tries there, pity you never got any replies there).

nexor

The only other way is to do what I did, copy the video with audio and then post it here, I use Fraps and it works brilliantly.

eor123

Quote from: nexor63 on September 07, 2010, 07:01:56 AM
Seems like the members who are still playing FC2 are not realy interested in what these mercs are saying, because no one has come up with any vids or audio. A pity, because this is a brilliant game, the only one that I know of where you can play any part of the game over and over and you cannot play two of them exactly the same.

I wish I had the capability to record my gameplay but that isn't an option on consoles.

My favorite tactic is to charge into a location like the Post Office, Cattle Ranch, or diamond mine -- take cover and let the mercs surround and come to me. The merc vocalizations as they do so are entertaining, especially with a higher reputation level.

I've taped a few of these and transcribed them the best I could.

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

nexor

The sayings we refer to is the ones where the mercs speak Afrikaans (my mother tongue) and Zulu (one of our coutry's official languages), other than english these are the only languages spoken by the mercs. The members asked me if I could translate what these mercs are saying, I have already posted some. Being on console is a problem yes, let's hope some members on pc would be able to come up with some.

eor123

I wish I knew what the Zulu and Afrikaans phrases were. I enjoy them.

One sounds like "Boolah Boolah" or "Boodah Boodah" really fast and seems to occur when a merc is reloading...wonder if it is the equivalent of "No, Not now!"

;D
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

One line in Afrikaans contains words that have obvious resemblances to German (my mother tongue) that I can gather its meaning, the merc is indeed saying it when he has to reload. It's something like "god damn it, does it really have to be just now, it's about just the perfect time for it"  ^+-+

eor123

My two semesters of college German and a couple of weeks spent in Austria and Germany aren't serving me very well after 20 years.  ;D

The only time I ever used it here was to visit with my mother's next door neighbor who had immigrated from Hanover after the war.

She thought my pseudo Hoch-Deutsch pronunciation with a Southern US accent was amusing.

Art Blade

nexor

Quote from: Art Blade on September 13, 2010, 12:32:00 PM
One line in Afrikaans contains words that have obvious resemblances to German (my mother tongue) that I can gather its meaning, the merc is indeed saying it when he has to reload. It's something like "god damn it, does it really have to be just now, it's about just the perfect time for it"  ^+-+

You're spot on with that one Art, but Afrikaans is a mixture of German, French, Dutch and heaven alone what else.... ;D .........the closest to Afrikaans is Flemish.

nexor

Quote from: eor123 on September 13, 2010, 12:50:10 PM
My two semesters of college German and a couple of weeks spent in Austria and Germany aren't serving me very well after 20 years.  ;D

The only time I ever used it here was to visit with my mother's next door neighbor who had immigrated from Hanover after the war.

She thought my pseudo Hoch-Deutsch pronunciation with a Southern US accent was amusing.

^+-+ ^+-+.......Would love to hear that, I don't know how many OWG members can actualy copy the  clips where the mercs speak those languages, then it will be easy for me to translate.

Art Blade

I think no one really is able to, unless they're accidentally recording a vid with such a line being part of the background. I'm sure most of us would love to have those lines translated :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, the only way I've thought of to do it would be to turn on AI ignore, and walk around while recording, hoping that someone says the clip you're looking for. Not exactly a guarantee of success. That, and I think most of the Afrikaans is spoken during battles, where it's sometimes hard to hear what anyone is saying.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Yeah, I think so, too. Maybe starting a merc war while ignore_player is on helps.

Tags:
🡱 🡳