PC info...

Started by PZ, May 23, 2009, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I finally had the opportunity to boot up the PC this morning (had been playing the PS3 for a couple of early morning hours each day this past week).  Although I've played on the PC before, the graphics just take your breath away.  Was driving through the FC2 countryside and it is easy to notice things that had escaped me on 9+ plays through on the PS3.  Not only are the graphics splendid, the aiming and weapons control is unmatched in it's precision (I've played Xbox and PS3 versions of FC2).  So precise is the mouse control that I was able to do single shot head kills with the Uzi easily.  The only down-side to the PC is the steering while in a vehicle - choppy and takes a bit of getting accustomed to.

Even though I love my console, I'd highly recommend the PC version to anyone that is contemplating purchasing the game.

Art Blade

Interesting to read a console-player-at-heart's creed: "goddamnit, play the PC version instead!"  ;D ;D ;D

I read a couple of times that when the PC versions finally got out, they had enhanced graphics, some other extras (be it quick saves only) and sometimes different game modes (race games like TDU had more race types).

When I was unsure whether or not to buy a new PC, those console player friends I have saw their chance to persuade me, but you know how it ended, and I'm still happy with my decision.

PCs are quite expensive when it comes to up-to-date gaming, but the fun factor is worth my money. Plus, its versatile (doing this here with the same machine I play with, while listening to favourite tunes... multi tasking :) )
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Glad you're enjoying the PC experience PZ. I may have missed the specs, but are you playing with DX9, or 10? I know it looks pretty fabulous with DX9, but 10 must take it to a different level.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

DX10, but I can't comment on any differences because I've not seen the game on DX9 - however, compared to the console, the graphics take your breath away - I regularly notice things that escape my notice on the PS3.

Art Blade

I read that FC2 is supposed to be the first game that actually runs smoother on DX10 than on DX9. I've seen what Crysis looks like with DX10 and talked about it with a mate who used DX9 but saw it on DX10 at a friend's place. The differences were small, he said. What I remember from Crysis, the sunbeams and soft shadows were better with DX10. Pity you can't have the cake and eat it. I still think it's worth to run my PC on winXP but by that deprive myself of DX10.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Too bad DX10 = vista or I would be there in a second. Maybe windows 7......
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

deadman1

I agree with D_B I´ll wait for Win 7. Everything I´ve read about it says that it´s better than Vista.

Art Blade

I've got vista home premium on my other PC (hence my experiences with DX10) and it has good features, plus it's more stable than XP. But the disadvantages made me delete vista from this PC here and slap on good ol' XP :)

Let's hope Win7 handles older games better than vista. Gaming compatibility was the main issue for me.

KingRat

Vista SP2 is available for download for those that want to try it. links here> http://rage3d.com/

lol, I have 12 PC's in the house, 2 Vista HP SP1, 1 XP Pro SP3, 7 XP Home SP3, 1 2000 Pro SP4, 2 98se  :D

Oh, and my copy of FC2 for the PC arrived today. Looking forward to loading it up tonight.  :)

PZ

Man, that's more than I have!  You must have one heck of a network!

Art Blade

haha :) Good for a LAN party then!

By the way, I too have a couple of PCs here,
of which two actually w@&k.

KingRat

Quote from: PZ on May 26, 2009, 01:28:24 PM
Man, that's more than I have!  You must have one heck of a network!

One heck of a mess is what I've got  :) From '99 till I moved here in '06 I was building custom watercooled gaming systems for the rich kids. Heh, this retired firefighter still likes to play with water & pumps  ;D

Art Blade

I think I still got a wreck of a 486, PIII450 and the likes  :-[ ;D oh and 5 monitors! LOL

PZ

Quote from: KingRat on May 26, 2009, 04:01:10 PM
One heck of a mess is what I've got  :) From '99 till I moved here in '06 I was building custom watercooled gaming systems for the rich kids. Heh, this retired firefighter still likes to play with water & pumps  ;D

Good to know we have another PC expert that has knowledge we can tap into!   :) :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 26, 2009, 11:16:45 AM
Too bad DX10 = vista or I would be there in a second. Maybe windows 7......

How about it, now? Anyone who's already got w7 and FC2 please let us know how DX10 compares to DX9 :)

PZ

Art Blade

Only we'll have to wait until games really use DX11 (DX10 wasn't really wide-spread) and good vid cards that are capable of running DX10, let alone DX11.

Right now a good choice would be AMD 5850 (DX11), but the card is not easily available.

vid cards with DX11 would be AMD Radeon HD 5970, 5870, 5850, 5770, 5750, 5670.

nVidia still hasn't got any DX11 cards, but the future GTX 480/470 should be out soon.

Tags:
🡱 🡳