Deep Insight into Buddy stories

Started by mandru, September 29, 2009, 10:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredgord

Wow good w@&k mandru. I offed this character because he seemed so rude in my characters encounters. I wonder if the FC2 devs had a baseline characteristic list for each of the people encountered.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

outstanding research, mandru  :-X

Reading all that, it seems like a game I haven't played at all... Strange, but I think I was too keen to go on a killing spree, so I missed out those details. Will pay more attention next time :)

Quote from: retiredgord on October 23, 2009, 06:36:39 AM
I wonder if the FC2 devs had a baseline characteristic list for each of the people encountered.

Before the game was actually released, there were a few reports on the then awaited game. If I remember correctly, those buddies were people living in the FC2 world, rather than always hanging out at a bar. You were expected to interact with them, befriend them, so they might help you when in trouble (rescue buddy) and who would offer you jobs if they knew you well enough. A possible proof for that is the "buddy history" that now doesn't make any sense to me. Yet it made sense to create a background story for them if the interaction was part of the game, but I think the devs ran out of time and cut the code out. Maybe the publisher wanted a game like we now know it, probably thinking those buddy interactions were too much into role playing. Who knows. Pity, really.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

If you enter the UBI site through the Age Gate http://farcry.us.ubi.com/agegate.php?destURL=/index.php they are showing the pre launch trailer that paints a very different picture of the game than what we're familiar with.

So I think you are right Art saying time and budget probably caused a last minute scramble to tie things together.

The trailer shows Greaves as an independent with unknown alliance and was possibly the one running the Gun Shop in the original game concept.

Pick a faction as a theme was promoted.

Camera angles (computer fly through points of view you'll never see in game) really pump up the dynamics of the clip and even jazzes up the taxi ride into Pala with high speed travel and outside of the cab views of the driver and scenery.

Funny enough the dialog of characters splashed in the clip are often familiar script but voiced by different talent or even lines not in the game that you wouldn't expect from the character speaking them.

It is an interesting look at the pre-release concepts that were floating around.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Excellent descriptor mandru, and fine nostalgic video - hard to believe that it has already been nearly a year since FC2 first appeared on the shelves.  Watching that trailer made me want to go back into Leboa and Bowa!

deadman1

That was an awesome trailer  :-X to bad the devs ran out of time and money, just imagine how good the game would have been if they could have incorporated all the that stuff in it.

PZ

Sure would, and it is too bad that we at OWG don't represent the majority of the gaming world else the publishers might be motivated to provide additional content.

mandru

Then again, Just how much of their budget did they burn up making that really flashy pre-release trailer?  :P
- mandru

wexer9

Probably quite a bit. :P

Nice w@&k on this compilation of buddy lines. :)

fragger

Found another tidbit for you, mandru - Hakim is from Dubai, where he was once in real estate.

mandru

Thanks fragger! that is a nice tidbit.  :-X
- mandru

fragger

wexer9

Nice find - but I can't see Hakim being in real estate - he's too badass. :P

JRD

Quote from: wexer9 on February 02, 2010, 01:02:43 PM
Nice find - but I can't see Hakim being in real estate - he's too badass. :P

Whats the problem with real estate? We're not good enough for you? I'll teach you a lesson, punk!!

just kidding...  I'm not in real estate either  ;D ;D ;D  :P ::)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

wexer9

Ha ha, do you have a machine gun belt strapped across you chest? :-* :P

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳