Crysis 2

Started by Dweller_Benthos, January 12, 2010, 10:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I thought about getting Aliens vs Predator for the sheer pleasure of playing with the Predator... I read the choice between Predator, Alien or human is quite good, but didn't read anything else for a while now, so I'm not sure if it is really cool to play it... anyway, it seem like another shooter with a lame SP and focus on MP
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Quote from: ninzza on April 12, 2010, 01:07:30 PM
I hate aliens too, if I play the original Crysis I only play from the beginning to the end of chapter 6 (before the encounter with the aliens)

Made me think of how I replayed FarCry(1) a couple of times -- only until it got too packed with mutants. The first part of the game with "only" mercs as opponents was about as funny as FC2, they had very funny lines, too, especially when you hid somewhere and listened to their random banter.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Quote from: Art Blade on April 12, 2010, 03:28:46 PM
Quote from: ninzza on April 12, 2010, 01:07:30 PM
I hate aliens too, if I play the original Crysis I only play from the beginning to the end of chapter 6 (before the encounter with the aliens)

Made me think of how I replayed FarCry(1) a couple of times -- only until it got too packed with mutants. The first part of the game with "only" mercs as opponents was about as funny as FC2, they had very funny lines, too, especially when you hid somewhere and listened to their random banter.  :)

Thats so true. FC1 was great at the start, but got progressivly sillier as you went into the mute levels, culminating with the most juvenile ending ever, where you're surrounded by super mutes with rocket launcher arms. ugh. After the first play, i usually stopped at that point. Replaying FC1 a while back, i couldnt help but notice the overly bright almost cartoony look of the visuals compared to Fc2's look, by which i now judge the graphics of all games.

As for crysis, i loved playing against the Chinese soldiers, but once the alien ship level is reached, i quit there, so the actual SP game for me is quite short. Actually, playing against the Chiese in Crysis 1 and the Fallout 3 addon Operation Anchorage are similar in many ways, execpt for the difference in the weather.(Alaskan winter vs tropical island).

FC2, with its stunning visuals, truely open world feel, and the variables in strategy, and ALWAYS against human enemies really have spoiled me for other games. i've lost count as to the number of shooters i've rejected  buying in the last 2 years because they simply dont measure up to my FC2 standards.

I havent bothered to look at the Crysis 2 trailer yet, but tbh, i dont have much faith in the devs of most games that you CAN make a shooter great WITHOUT putting in aliens, monsters, freaks, trolls, mutants,or ghouls.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

And I was already wondering where the heck you've been, Rica  ;D ;D ;D Good to see you're still with us, mate  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Ditto, good to hear from you, Ricamundo :) :)

I agree with you guys totally regarding aliens, etc. FC1 was great fun until the mutants started showing up. There were a few levels further into the game where there weren't any monsters, and they were the only levels I ever returned to in later plays (my fave was the one with all the islands, where you had to blow up the transmitter towers). As for monsters with weapons grafted onto their bodies, that's always been a pretty ridiculous concept, and the idea's been done to death ever since the original Castle Wolfenstein.

Give me human opponents and realistic weapons any day.

JRD

Thinking about aliens and all...

Deep down inside I don`t mind playing a game with aliens as long as there is a good concept behind it.
For instance, if I play a game of the Star Wars franchise I know I`ll bump into aliens or even play as one, and I`m ok with that. They`ve been conceived within a whole universe and it only makes sense if there are aliens as varied as possible, and that`s what makes the SW series a great theme to develop games.

But when you know that someone are slipping an alien here and there due to lack of something better, then it`s just dull  >:(

If they can`t come up with a good plot or an argument as to why that character is evil, then they simply make a squid-like creature and fits a good guys killing bad creatures story and that`s it... have good scenarios, music, and sound FX and you have a good game.

In Crysis, in the final level, I remember being at the deck of the air carrier, waiting to pop the huge ship coming out of the water and all hell breaking loose around me.

Suddenly I stopped, cloack on, and just watched around... NOTHING was happening... really... nothing at all... just light effects, the screen shaking (annoyingly shaking), noise, lot of noise and, eventually, one of those small squids throwing icicles at me. There was a bug and the huge ship wouldn`t open up for the final shot, so I had time to stare at the whole crap around me.

Bad aliens trying to freeze the world and you, a super dooper soldier, freedom fighter, saves the day...

Oh, c`mon... that`s an insult to our intelligence... we deserve better that that!  ;)

deadman1

The expansion was a lot better with respect to the alienfighting. 90% of the tine you´re fighting against humans and the aliens only show up at the last 2 or 3 levels.

Ricamundo

Quote from: deadman on April 16, 2010, 02:56:12 AM
The expansion was a lot better with respect to the alienfighting. 90% of the tine you´re fighting against humans and the aliens only show up at the last 2 or 3 levels.

Is that Crysis Warhead you're referring to? I saw that game quite often whilst lurking around the retail software stores here, but never seriously thought about picking it up because of my issues with Crysis 1. Perhaps now, if its still around, it'll be on sale too.

Yeah, i've been away for a couple of weeks in London, on holiday, and before that i was playing FC2(again) and FO3 right now(again), but the FO3 topic has been pretty much dead for a while, so i havent been posting, sry. Thx for the WB. ;D

BTW, we got back just ahead of that giant volcanic dust cloud thats floating over the north atlantic, and has closed airports all over the UK, and western Europe. Man if we were a couple of days later, we's probably still be sitting in that damned airport over there. ::)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

JRD

Hey Ricamundo... long time no see!!

I think deadman is talking about Warhead... but it also seems to be much smaller than the original Crysis... 6 levels if I`m correct, so you`d only have 3 or 4 levels of fighting KPA humans  :(

BTW lucky you for escaping the volcanic ash... airports are all shut and flights been canceled all over Europe!  :-X

Last year I left Paris 12 HOURS before that major blizzard that froze the trains in the tunnel and got all flights grounded... mine was one of the last flights to take off from France... phew... spend the night grounded would be terrible... enjoy your comfy place mate!  ;)

EDIT

Reading the comments at The Times Online about the ashes, one guy gave me a good laugh

Steinn Jonsson wrote:
Sorry for the flight delays, Europe. We were aiming for London, but it's hard to be accurate when firing a volcano

deadman1

@Rica and JRD: Yes I´m referring to Warhead. I must say that although it´s shorter than Crysis I like it. But the I didn´t mind  fighting the aliens in Crysis either.  The amount of aliens are a lot less and those times when they show up are kind of logical (sort of, kinda). I´m a little hesitant in recommending it though as I would having somebody spendeng there hard earned cash on something they didn´t like  ;).

deadman1

Quote from: JRD on April 16, 2010, 12:53:44 AM
Thinking about aliens and all...

Deep down inside I don`t mind playing a game with aliens as long as there is a good concept behind it.
For instance, if I play a game of the Star Wars franchise I know I`ll bump into aliens or even play as one, and I`m ok with that. They`ve been conceived within a whole universe and it only makes sense if there are aliens as varied as possible, and that`s what makes the SW series a great theme to develop games.

But when you know that someone are slipping an alien here and there due to lack of something better, then it`s just dull  >:(

If they can`t come up with a good plot or an argument as to why that character is evil, then they simply make a squid-like creature and fits a good guys killing bad creatures story and that`s it... have good scenarios, music, and sound FX and you have a good game.

In Crysis, in the final level, I remember being at the deck of the air carrier, waiting to pop the huge ship coming out of the water and all hell breaking loose around me.

Suddenly I stopped, cloack on, and just watched around... NOTHING was happening... really... nothing at all... just light effects, the screen shaking (annoyingly shaking), noise, lot of noise and, eventually, one of those small squids throwing icicles at me. There was a bug and the huge ship wouldn`t open up for the final shot, so I had time to stare at the whole crap around me.

Bad aliens trying to freeze the world and you, a super dooper soldier, freedom fighter, saves the day...

Oh, c`mon... that`s an insult to our intelligence... we deserve better that that!  ;)

Hmm I never got as far as the carrier, my game always crashes before I get there.  :(

JRD

You are not missing much actually!

SPOILER

Once there you are in tigh corridors and have to grab one special weapon to shoot down the alien ship attacking the carrier. First you take down one big alien machine at the deck with wrecked aircarft, fire and debris all around you as those annoying small squid-like aliens fly around you. After putting it down another alien ship, bigger than the carrier itself emerges from the water and you have that plasma gun, or whatever is the name, that you cannot fire anywhere but at the bottom of the ship once it gets open for no apparent reason.
That`s pretty dumb, really... wait for the belly to open up, aim and fire one single shot to save the day... cavemen had that kind of boss on their pre-historic videogames...  :D

Dweller_Benthos

Didn't you have to shoot off the weapons towers on that last alien ship first? Then it would expose the final sweet spot to kill it? Didn't they rip that off from the movie Independence Day? Where a giant alien ship is about to annihilate earth, but if you fly a single F16 up into it's belly, the whole thing will blow up? Am I asking too many questions?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Good to hear from you Ric, and glad that you made it out in the nick of time  :-X

I'm with many of you regarding the mutants/monsters/aliens thing - one of the reasons I like FC2 so much is that it is one of the first games that I felt like I could "pretend" that it is a real world that I'm traveling in.  I think of games almost like a good book - you can immerse yourself in the story if it is at least somewhat believable.  Unfortunately, monsters, etc. take that fun out of it for me.

The only game that I really like that contains the mutants, etc. is Fallout 3, and that is because I can have so much fun roaming around in a modded world - I actually get more satisfaction out of modding than playing!

My two latest acquisitions, AC2 and JC2 are like FC2 for me because there are nothing but human interactions, so again, I can immerse myself in the wonderful worlds of 15th century Italy, and the Palau island group.

EDIT: Ric, if you're still playing FO3 and have comments, don't hesitate to post just because there hasn't been activity in a while.  I know that when I see new posts in games that I might have put aside for a while, I always read them, and often am inspired to get back into the game.

spaceboy

Last year I almost passed on Killzone 2 because I didn't want to shoot aliens, luckily I read up on it.  The aliens were essentially humans only they lived on another planet, had milky white skin and sensitive eyes and lungs, thus the kick a$$ looking helmet/gas masks they wore.  They used typical weapons except for one really cool lightning gun and another exploding bolt gun (shoot your enemy with a bolt that attaches them to a wall...wait for it...BOOM!).  8)

Big nasty green slimy aliens are not really my cup of tea either.  Neither are zombies or plague infested humans (ie. Resident Evil).    -  haha I originally wrote plaque infested which of course, zombies with bad teeth are also not on my favorite list.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on April 16, 2010, 03:35:46 AM
Reading the comments at The Times Online about the ashes, one guy gave me a good laugh

Steinn Jonsson wrote:
Sorry for the flight delays, Europe. We were aiming for London, but it's hard to be accurate when firing a volcano

LOL!!!  ;D ;D :-X

Dweller_Benthos

A friend just gave me the complete Fallout 3 set, or I guess it is, the main game, Operation Anchorage and Pitt or whatever and one other add-on, plus that giant strat guide that's as thick as a phone book. Don't know if I even want to start a game that complex.....
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 19, 2010, 01:09:37 PM
A friend just gave me the complete Fallout 3 set, or I guess it is, the main game, Operation Anchorage and Pitt or whatever and one other add-on, plus that giant strat guide that's as thick as a phone book. Don't know if I even want to start a game that complex.....

This is the set that I have, D_B.  Try it, you might get hooked, especially if you like applying mods.  There are literally hundreds of mods, those that change game play, graphics, companions, weapons, etc.  I still go into the FO3 world at times just to use my mega-weapons, and modded weapons.

Most of the in-game weapons look cartoon-ey and cheesy, but there is a mod called Arsenal that has great HD weapons.

One thing I like is that you can follow any line you wish, and my favorite thing to do was explore the world meeting and talking with the locals.  There are many story lines, and what you do can dramatically change how you play.  For instance, there is a main town called Megaton, that is filled with interesting characters, and you can even have a player house there.  Many side missions are issued by it's citizens.  However, one option you have is to destroy the town in a nuclear explosion, forever changing the game, and of course losing all the side missions.

deadman1

Try it,  you might like it.  ;) A strategyguide like that can be a bit daunting but I would suggest that you just fire up the game and play, forgetting about strategies and just use your head. That´s what I did. All the different skills and perks have very good explanations both ingame and in the manual. Here´s some basic tips:

*Decide what kind of characteer you want to be, do you want to use mainly handheld weapons (meele type) or firearms.
*The skills that I found most useful throughout the game were:
Lockpick (open doors, safes and boxes with loot)
Science (hack computers to gain access to loot or to take control of security systems)
Sneak (makes it easier to stay undetected by your enemies which is kind important in the erlier stges of the game before you get your hands on some nice armor and guns)
Small guns (very important if you want to use rifles and pistols, it makes it a lot easier to hit your target)
Speech (used to influence other NPC:s in order to gain information)

I finished mu second playtrouh before I even glanced at a strategyguide and I think I did ok  ;D besides you have an entire forum of FO3 players to consult here at OWG if you have any questions  :)

Art Blade

...and you can still squash fat hairy spiders with that massive guide.  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

There is that, lol. I figure I'll finish my current FC2 game then see what Fallout looks like.
D_B

ninzza

First gameplay footage!

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/94&ch=1&sd=0?ep=94&ch=1&sd=0

Looks great, the nanosuit and gameplay are awesome.  :-X

tehsam016

Nice ninzza, here's a vid just showing Crysis 2 gameplay (with cool Pink Floydish music :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvtn-01R-6M&feature=player_embedded#!

JRD

Great vids guys!  :-X

Aliens seems to have a more humanoid shape instead of those flying squids! And guns also seems better... they were a major complaint in the original game! Gameplay seemed a bit like MP, but with cutscenes that should be leading the SP campaign.

I thought it would pick up from where they left on Crysis 1 but the city scenario proves I was wrong.

I'm still not getting this game on realease though... will sure wait till it reach the discount bins (and till I have a proper PC to run it, that is  :( )

Art Blade

Meh.. the game concept and the vids don't convince me. I'd like to walk around in that city in a game though, but for example flames/fire looked erm.. like it had a huge potential for improvement. :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳