old game: Test Drive Unlimited (TDU)

Started by Art Blade, December 31, 2009, 11:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

hehehe you guys!  ;D ;D ;D

Come to think of it, I remember a "test drive" game back on a 386 PC (oh my gosh!) where you could build and test race tracks, but it might have been a different game. Back then, they used vector graphics!
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on January 03, 2010, 08:01:49 AM
hehehe you guys!  ;D ;D ;D

Come to think of it, I remember a "test drive" game back on a 386 PC (oh my gosh!) where you could build and test race tracks, but it might have been a different game. Back then, they used vector graphics!

I remember a game called test drive for the old Commodore 64  ;D, it was probably ported to the PC when they became popular.

Art Blade

Yes, maybe that's what I meant (vector graphics were high tech on the c64, but not so much on a 386) :) hehe, good memories...

Here, I want to show you guys that you don't always drive around cities or highways, there are more places with different environment. There are dry, sandy deserts, mountains, beaches, forests, banana plantations... the pic shows a road through some kind of coastal suburbs with a rather green envrionment. I love cruising around Oahu :)

[smg id=1844 align=center width=400]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Here is the entire isle. 5,000 miles of roads... :)

[smg id=1845 align=center width=400]

RedRaven

Nice island Art, wish it was available for Arma2 :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

hehe, first thing you'd check out would be Schofield Barracks, Hickam Air Force Base and Pearl Harbour, I reckon  ;D

You know what, go to http://maps.google.com/ and type in "oahu". In the map image top right, change to satellite. Then zoom in as much as possible. You will notice a little orange puppet symbol on top of the zoom slider, click and hold him, then drag him over streets until "he" finds a street with a view... release the mouse button (drop him) and then the map chances from  top view 2D to flat down to the surface "3D" and you can virtually look around you! Top right of that image is a "+" for full screen mode...

Best to try it in the southeast, that punch bowl crater. you can even "walk" through the tunnel that's been broken through the crater walls and look around you... that's crazy!

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on January 03, 2010, 09:54:38 AM
Here, I want to show you guys that you don't always drive around cities or highways, there are more places with different environment. There are dry, sandy deserts, mountains, beaches, forests, banana plantations... the pic shows a road through some kind of coastal suburbs with a rather green envrionment.

That's definately the same game series I am remembering then.  There were multiple "non-urban" environments that tracks occured in - most of which a European sports car wouldn't be very useful in, yet there I was, topping 200mph on a dirt road in my Lotus GT and catching more air than the Dukes of Hazard out for a Sunday drive!!  Gotta love the complete disregard for basic physics  ;D

Art Blade

hehe, well, now the physics are rather convincing, especially if you can use a device with force feedback. You clearly note the bumps in the street and man, I sometimes think both my axles are about to break and fly away. We don't have roads like that where I live! :) Some cars in the game manage quite well, while others, like those sports cars, do nearly fall apart on those roads that feel like driving across a crater field in a war zone ;D

Art Blade

Tell you what, I just switched to American Muscle: Dodge Charger Super Bee. Those bumps in the roads were only slightly noticeable, the car swaying a little up and down in a comfortable way. Those shock absorbers that I'd call "soft as butter in the sun" are perfect for roads like those. In Germany we are used to much harder absorbers, something that makes your brains slam against your skullcap when you hit a kerbstone (curbstone) :) When we drive over cobblestone roads, we're afraid it might shake our teeth out ;D

Here you see me enjoy a soft cruise in that Suber Bee and, to my left, someone with not so soft a driving experience (wasn't me, but I hit the screenshot key the moment two cars crashed next to me).

[smg id=1850 align=center width=400]

Tags:
🡱 🡳