Just purchased AC1 for the PC...

Started by PZ, December 31, 2009, 07:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

The graphics are great, and although it is a bit limited compared to AC2, I think that anyone that likes the sequel will also enjoy the first edition.  The story line alone is worth it.  For instance, Altair in AC1 is missing his ring finger, and in AC2, Leonardo jokingly tells Ezio that his ring finger needs to be cut off in order to use the hidden blade.  :-X

JRD

Quote from: PZ on December 31, 2009, 07:45:11 AM
... Altair in AC1 is missing his ring finger... :-X

Never noticed that!!  8)

And how about gameplay?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

The missing finger (for the hidden blade to snap through that gap) was an obvious mark by which assassins could be identified, and in AC2, ingenious Leonardo invents a method of using a hidden blade without the need of cutting off one finger in order to use it. :)

I really liked AC1 and therefore I am sure I'm going to like AC2. I thought that it might w@&k the other way round, too.

PZ, great that you've got it, enjoy :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: JRD on December 31, 2009, 07:59:19 AM
And how about gameplay?

I think that you were right on the mark in your response in the other thread - the game play does not appear to be as good as in AC2.  However, I'm still early into the game - just reached Damascus and need to check in with the Assassin's bureau for permission to do an assassination.

It is funny - in AC1 you can use the scholars to blend into the crowd automatically - I actually like that feature because in AC2, you need to manually keep up with the crowd.  However, in AC2, you can blend in with scholars or towns folks so the variety is greater.

In general, if you are looking for a true sequel, this pair is right on the money - the two games even start with the basic same introductory methods.  Although I've not had the chance to complete AC1, I get the feeling that AC2 takes off where AC1 left off.

JRD

As far as I know, the story in AC2 begins where Desmond were left by the end of AC1

Make sure you walk around and try to interact with the scenario (and Lucy  ;) ) while you are out of the animus... some interesting clues are revealed like that and you may miss something in the end if you don't.

Anyway, when you're done with AC1, go to that link I posted here somewhere and check what all symbols and references means.

spaceboy

glad you're liking it so far PZ. The issue with the scholars is you can't direct them where to go.  If you're like me you'll find that you spend much more time running away from guards and trying to become blended again than you had to in AC2.  The cities are beautiful though.  With the right mindset (a love for the whole Assassin's Creed world) you should enjoy AC1 very much, despite it's flaws.

Keep in mind you can either ride your horse through the kingdom to get around or "fast Travel" when you complete a mission.  I rode at first, then fast traveled to speed things up, then back to riding towards the end.  I actually miss the ability to ride through the lands in AC2, you can only ride a little ways before it makes you fast travel.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Quote from: spaceboy on January 01, 2010, 10:12:57 AMI rode at first, then fast traveled to speed things up, then back to riding towards the end.

Same here :) Riding is fun, and fighting with a proper sabre from a horseback is rather enjoyable... if you're trained, you can wipe out like 20 men from horseback  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Indeed... I used to wipe as many soldiers as possible from a horseback and then one by one till the whole area was clean and only then start looking for those flags!!

Too bad you can't ride in AC2 anymore, it was a real pleasure to take the time to ride and enjoy the game... as close to an open world as possible. There was beautyful ruins to explore, a harbor and some villages and sentry towers spreaded through the Kingdom! And some nasty hard-to-find Templars too!

Art Blade

and hard to beat, weren't they :) I always tried to trick them, else, open fight, too damn hard

spaceboy

yeah only a little bit of riding in AC2  Some cities have more room to ride/roam around (Tuscany and Forli I believe).  But not nearly as much room as in AC1.  In fact you'll need to ride around a little in order to find all the feathers.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on January 01, 2010, 01:32:13 PM
and hard to beat, weren't they :) I always tried to trick them, else, open fight, too damn hard

Thats maybe due to some weird fighting mechanics. Against most of ordinary guards Altair will disarm and slash the enemy whereas against a Templar the same move will result in a punch in the stomach  >:(

I thought I wasn't timing my counter movements right. Only after discussing that very same point with spaceboy at MGP I realised thats how the game goes... rather annoying towards the end when you have to fight dozens of Templars and harder guards! The funeral at Jerusalem and the next fight against a bunch of Crusaders somewhere in the Kingdom were tough  :-*

Art Blade

The toughest fight was the boss fight at the end when that old ba$t@rd kept respawning and so on, let's say he cheated! However, I weakened him with throwing knifes and finished him off. In comparison, those templars were tame like puppies  ;D

PZ

JRD

Robert whatever and his thugs (thats a grandpa's word, isn it?) at the battlefield before you go back to Massyaf was the toughest for me, and only because of that stupid stomach-punch-instead-of-a-slash Altair use to pull... bad, bad timing Altair  >:(

As for that Saruman from Middle East... he was a piece of cake... he and his allucinations  ;)

PZ... there's not much tips, just be patient, stay alive and keep slashing  ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

hehe :)

Yes, PZ, and counter-attacks. And always throwing knifes in the back of the heads of the leaders  :)

PZ

I like the throwing knives, but I miss the poisonous dagger - that weapon is definitely my favorite in AC2 - stab a victim and walk away to witness their demise without ever being discovered.  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳