Predecessor Mission

Started by shiba, March 27, 2009, 03:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiba

Hi guys !
I'm deep in the Far Cry 2 game and I can't stop playing it.
I check on the web and there are a lot of very interesting informations but I still got a question :
What's that predecessor Mission thing ? I checked the map and I went to the place where the white letter is but I couldn't find anything, so what am I supposed to do ?

Thanks

Dweller_Benthos

You need to activate the predecessor missions first. That is done by entering certain codes into the main menu screen, I think under additional content or something like that.

Here's a quick list of codes I found:

Awakened Hinata
sa7eSUPR
tar3QuzU
THaCupR4
6aPHuswe
96CesuHu
SpujeN7x

I never saw that "Awakened Hinata" one before, so I have no idea what that one does. Some of those may w@&k, some may not, depending on your platform again.

If you're on PC, you can just edit the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2]
"PartnerKey1"=dword:00000001
"PartnerKey2"=dword:00000001
"MachetesKey"=dword:00000001

That will give you the predecessor missions and the extra machete types. Just copy that text, paste it into an empty notepad document, then save it somewhere you can find it, and give it a .reg extension, not .txt like notepad defaults to, and double click the resulting file. It will ask you if you want to add the info to the registry, say yes, and it will be done. Once in the game, you may have to wait a bit for the missions to be activated. If you're still in the north (you can go back if you want, these are the only missions that will be available if you're already in the south) and go to town and you should get a phone call telling you where to go to pick up the mission envelope. Same goes for the south, once it's active, the envelope icon will appear at the post office.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

spaceboy

Once you've picked up the envelope look for the white mission marker and go find the tape there.  I can't remember if you have to keep getting the envelope though...my memory is failing.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

shiba

Okay I understand, I play the game using the Xbox360 version, I'll try one of the code you gave me ! Thanks for it !

PZ

spaceboy is correct, you keep looking for the white envelope icon, or sometimes you get a phone call.  The white envelope icon is seen at a shack north of the southeast bus stop in Leboa, and it is found at the post office in Bowa.  I have managed to do 7 of these missions on a regular basis, but I don't know if there are possibly more of them.  Each has a specific name (like The Bolivian) and they will be listed on your statistics page in the game under "Predecessor tapes" - you can replay the tapes much like the Jackal tapes.

shiba

Okay I understand.
I went to the shack close from the bus stop that you mention, but I couldn't find anything. Guess I first have to use the codes and then I'll be able to do them ! :)

PZ

Correct,
Be sure to check your main map first though.  Unless you see the white envelope icon on your main map, there is nothing to do.  They only appear once in a while.

Art Blade

Old topic, long time no reply, but until today it has never been disclosed how to unlock the predecessor missions using the xBox360.

Thanks to our member eor123 we now know. Please read on here  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Nice catch Art.  :)

I don't think Ive come across his thread before and in the first couple posts Dweller_Benthos describes how to get the different machete edit to w@&k so I'll have to try that finally.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

:)

It was incredible, the first time I saw a pic or vid with a different machete. Thanks to D_B, ever since I learned about that reg edit, I never used the default machete again.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

This is what I have learned (with the help of several members here):

In order to unlock the additional missions on the XBox 360 platform:

Select "Additional Content" in the Far Cry II Main Menu.

Select "Promotional Content" in the "Additional Content" sub menu.

Enter the following password:

6aPHuswe

Repeat the above with the additional password

96CesuHu

If successful you will get a confirmation that additional missions have been unlocked.

There were several codes listed in an earlier post but these are the only two that were accepted as valid passwords by my XBox 360.

Hope this helps.

The info was out there but I couldn't find specific instructions for my platform.

I'm assuming the steps to unlock the missions on other platforms are identical with the exception of the codes that will be accepted.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Thank you very much for that tutorial, eor123  :-X :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I saw a list of 8 or 10 codes once, probably mixed for all platforms, about 3 or 4 worked on the PC. There were several promotions from various retailers and hardware companies as well. The Intel promotion for the PC was a 6MB download - all it did was add a couple registry entries, lol. Could have done that, well, actually I did do the same thing with about 5 lines of text that I posted here for a registry file.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Rangoon

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 27, 2009, 05:57:08 AM
You need to activate the predecessor missions first. That is done by entering certain codes into the main menu screen, I think under additional content or something like that.

Here's a quick list of codes I found:

Awakened Hinata
sa7eSUPR
tar3QuzU
THaCupR4
6aPHuswe
96CesuHu
SpujeN7x

I never saw that "Awakened Hinata" one before, so I have no idea what that one does. Some of those may w@&k, some may not, depending on your platform again.

If you're on PC, you can just edit the registry:

Hi. I just registered, having stumbled across this forum and this specific post while trying to solve my own FC2 issue.  First of all, I love openworld-style games/sims, so it's great to know about this place.

On to the point.  I am running the Steam version of FC2 (Windows Vista 64-bit) with the Fortunes Pack.  I had initially purchased the Gamestop Preorder DVD version, and had that working with the bonus missions just fine.  However I then purchased the Steam version, uninstalled the DVD version and installed the Steam version.  Now I am unable to get the bonus missions to w@&k.  I tried the registry fix noted above, and adjusted the location since Steam games are installed in a Steam folder (not Ubisoft).  Well the machete textures did show up, however I still see no indication that the bonus missions are working.  The map legend still shows no envelope icon, I have received no phone call, and nothing new shows up on the map. 

Is there anything else I might try?  I did try inputting all 13 codes I have come across regarding these missions, but none of them are valid for me.  I tried my original code, too, of course, which was SpujeN7x (one of the 13 I've found here and elsewhere).  The codes mentioned in this thread are among the 13 I'd found.

Any suggestions?  I've tried the Ubisoft forums, Steam forums, Steam support, and Ubisoft support.  One of the other forums directed me here.
Thanks!

KingRat

http://www.primagames.com/blog/2008/11/02/far-cry-2-bonus-missions/

Just wondering if you followed what it says here in the 2nd section The Predecessor? ...going into Pala, etc?

PZ

Interesting problem Rangoon - I've not encountered this before and therefore cannot offer a solution.  One thing you might try is loading a different saved game, or perhaps one of the saved game packs uploaded here at OWG by some of our members.

I have encountered the phone message at different times in various plays through, but I can't explain the variance - sometimes the call never even happens even though I see the envelope icons.  I recall one time I received the call when I was heading into Mosate Selao (main town in Bowa, the south) and had not heard it all when in Leboa (the north).

Good luck on a solution, and in any case, welcome to OWG - hope you find much useful information on enjoying FC2 (and other games)  :-X

Art Blade

First of all, welcome to OWG, Rangoon :)

(note to self: don't get started about STEAM)

OK, let's see if we can help you. The first thing I found was you on another forum and the reply that led you here  ;D ;D ;D

I tried hard, but didn't find anything you hadn't found already (seen you on ubi and that other site). As someone suggested there, I think a mail to ubi should be at least worh a try. Good luck, and maybe some of our other members come up with something.

Anyway, now that you've found us, maybe you find something that helps you enjoy FC2 even without those Predecessor missions. Basically, those extra missions send you around in FC2 to collect another couple of tapes, nothing to be too sad about if you can't get them to w@&k.

Rangoon

Quote from: KingRat on January 16, 2010, 02:49:28 PM
http://www.primagames.com/blog/2008/11/02/far-cry-2-bonus-missions/

Just wondering if you followed what it says here in the 2nd section The Predecessor? ...going into Pala, etc?

Thanks KingRat, PZ and Art Blade.

In response to KingRat, I did finish the mission and head to Pala, then out again, but nothing changed. I also then started a new game entirely (this is all after the reg fix) but now have gotten to the church for my pills, to the UFLL for a mission, then out of Pala and still nothing.  No envelope icon in the legend nor anything on the map, no phone call, etc. 

Well I hope to hear something back from Ubisoft. 

Let me know if any other ideas pop up!

KingRat

Ok, I was just trying to figure out why the 'machetes' key took and the others didn't? No luck so far with my searches  :(

Rangoon

Quote from: KingRat on January 16, 2010, 04:16:09 PM
Ok, I was just trying to figure out why the 'machetes' key took and the others didn't? No luck so far with my searches  :(

Right, isn't that strange?  I hope the Steam version didn't somehow omit the bonus missions from the installation.

Is there anything else I could just be missing about those missions starting?  I did have them working before from the DVD install, and I recall the envelopes, the phone calls, etc.  Is it possible that they won't start until sometime later regardless of the phone calls?  I think I would still get the envelopes.  I will try completing the first entire mission and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Art Blade

I just had an idea. If you check the reg key edit again, it reads "ubisoft" -- maybe you find in the registry something that reads "steam" instead? place those partnerkeys there perhaps? :)

Rangoon

Hi - I did alter my key from what was in the original in this thread.  Mine, adjusted for Vista 64 and Steam, reads:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2]

There is no reference to Steam in there because the Key's executable points to correct place:

c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\far cry 2\bin\FarCry2.exe

But if you see anything in there which looks wrong, please let me know.  As was mentioned, the regedit fix for the machete textures *did* w@&k!   :)

Just not the bonus missions ("Gamestop" or "Intel").   :(

Art Blade

The difference between machete and missions is the DWORD name, machete=machete, missions=PartnerKey1+2

To me the culprit appears to be the name of the DWORD, partnerkey, because machete works.

Maybe some more research on the net, but so far I tried a couple of things including: reg, HKEY, steam bonus, error, "'t w@&k" (as in won't and don't), but to no avail.

I then thought maybe it is better to contact steam, rather than ubi, because they caused this and I saw a steam service reply helping a customer with another problem caused by steam ("LV issue" as in Low Violence, localised versions of steam products have been altered in a way that they removed gore, ragdoll effects etc).

I really have to hold back not to curse aloud here  ;)

Art Blade

on an aside, could you please post the list of those 13 codes you found? In case I find something you haven't. For example, "partner1" but I reckon you got that already, haven't you? :)

Art Blade

Hmm, something else:

Quote from: Rangoon on January 16, 2010, 05:50:08 PM
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2]

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 27, 2009, 05:57:08 AM

there is a difference, isn't there?  ;) Any chance you check again or create that entry in your registry? Before you do, create a backup of that part of your registry... Then go for it.

This is tough :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳