Predecessor Mission

Started by shiba, March 27, 2009, 03:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Alright :)

My latest playthrough I wasn't thinking about the registry entry, and after the tutorial I took on my first mission at Mike's bar. Then I drove to Pala. My mobile rang once I had entered the town area and the distorted voice on the mobie told me I wasn't the first one who was after the Jackal. The predecessor missions were activated. That's how you know, and on the map, above the SE bus stop, a new icon with a white envelope and an exclamation mark showed up. The first mission.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Rangoon

After uninstalling and cleaning everything up, I installed the Steam version again.  I did notice this time something which I don't think happened before.  I went to the additional content option in the main menu and put in my actual Game Key (not any of the bonus mission keys).  It said something about successfully unlocking missions.  I checked the registry and the only thing I noticed is that it did in fact add the Machetes key.  Upon checking the Game options I noticed I could select the other machete textures (no surprise). 

However, there are no keys for partner1 or partner2.  Well I figure this is fine if the "bonus" missions are in fact now part of the game proper.  However, I've since started a new game, played the tutorial, finished the first UFLL mission including the Buddy mission which goes along with it, gone back to Pala and gotten a second UFLL mission, but still no phone call nor any Envelope updates to the map.

Is it possible that it could take longer than this before it the Predecessor missions will start?

It's my impression from what Ubisoft said that I don't need any registry edits or codes to activate what *used* to be bonus missions. 

Well that's the latest.

EDIT:  I just reinstalled again and indeed when I enter the Game Key into the Promotional Content field, it says: "You have successfully unlocked the missions."

This does give me hope, but why have I not seen the missions yet?  PZ, you indicated earlier that it happens at different times during the playthrough.  Is that for the phone call or for any evidence of the Predecessor missions to appear (such as the envelope on the map or the Predecessor Tapes listed in the menu)?

Art Blade

The first time I activated those missions (reg edit) I did that in the middle of the game. Thereafter, my first visit to Pala made my cell phone ring and I got the missions. So I believe it doesn't matter when you activate the missions, but if you do, you should get the call immediately after visiting Pala.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I too first entered the codes half way through the game, and never did receive a phone call while in Leboa.  Interestingly, I received a phone call while on the way to Mosate Selao which stunned me since I had already done Predecessor missions throughout Leboa.

On subsequent plays through, I did receive phone calls, but they were never predictable.  As to when they appeared - almost immediately after entering the codes, the white envelope appeared at the post in southeast Leboa (If I recall correctly, within a few minutes).

It sounds like the Ubi guy either doesn't know the game well (his double talk), or he is deliberately side-stepping.

Rangoon

Quote from: PZ on January 21, 2010, 11:50:18 AM
It sounds like the Ubi guy either doesn't know the game well (his double talk), or he is deliberately side-stepping.

I'm getting the distinct impression that nobody at Steam or Ubisoft has ever played this game.

I will try using the registry keys again and see where that gets me.

I even told Ubisoft that I would gladly pay the $4.95 that is listed on their digital download site for the Fortunes Pack at this point.  Just to be done with this.  But of course, even though it's listed there on the first page, it's not available.

Art Blade

Reminds me of my frustration with FC2 + online:

• The PC the retail version (CD) is going to be installed on MUST be online during installation (called Ubi support, no w@&k-around available)
  • For some reason, multiplayer never worked (couldn't connect to servers)
  • DLC was available (back then) but NOT in my country

Because I wanted to play the game so badly and because it wasn't steam but Ubi I had to register with, I decided to do so (through gritted teeth). I hate games that need online activation despite of having bought the retail version on CD.

Art Blade

Rangoon, I found info here (totally different game board though) that might help you understand the mission issue with steam:

Quote from: JRD on January 22, 2010, 09:51:59 AM
I didn't enter the BLEEDINGBADLY or any other code on my laptop and it has FTE and Skirmish maps available as SP missions.
Since both my laptop and my gaming PC are running the STEAM version of OFP2, I assume that it has been downloaded and installed like that from STEAM.

JRD

If you are correct, than Rangoon should've the additional content from the beginning, which I believe he doesn't... woth a try though!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Yes, basically that is what I gather from the quotes of Ubi/steam. Strange though why it doesn't seem to w@&k. Maybe indeed later on, or...

After the first playthrough, as a bonus :) (fingers crossed)

wexer9

I believe I can contribute to this discussion with my own experiences.

I bought Far Cry 2 and the DLC on Steam before the DLC was automatically integrated for free. About half-way into my first playthrough, I used the registry codes cited in the first page, and they unlocked the predecessor missions (I had already activated the DLC).

However, today I returned to Far Cry 2 for the first time since the DLC became free and integrated, and have discovered that, when loading up any of my saves, the predecessor missions and tapes have mysteriously disappeared. 'Predecessor Tapes' no longer shows up in the main menu.

I confirmed the registry keys are still there, but they seem to have lost their effectiveness.

One thing, though - I can still select from the additional 2 Machete types, so it appears they haven't taken that out.

One last thing - check out this topic; could it have to do with the issue we're facing?
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835577

Art Blade

Hello wexer9 and welcome to OWG (your first post)  :-X :)

Interesting info you gave there, missions disappearing...  :(

Thanks for the link mate :)

The author of the 2nd reply to the post in the link you sent, was Rangoon himself :) So yes, he's already on it  ;D

But for those who are not him, the link might actually help  :-X

wexer9

Thanks for the welcome!

I will stay tuned to this topic; I linked to it for a long time when people asked how to get to get the bonus missions.

Art Blade

Thanks for the linking :)

I would really like to read more from you, perhaps a story or three? :) Now that you've posted more within a couple of hours than all the months before, there is no excuse to retreat now!  ;D ;D ;D

wexer9

Lol, I'll post if I think of anything interesting... :P

I actually only signed up a few months ago to download your game saves where you had all weapons + upgrades...just felt like testing that out. 8)

I was also reading around and am disappointed to find no progress has been made on the troublesome "Jackal Tape" glitch. :(

I'd like to play Far Cry 2 again, but I really would like to have the Precessor missions available...that's just the hardcore completionist in me speaking. :o

Art Blade

Ah, so you were the one who downloaded that savegame! ;D Hope you had some fun with it. There are a couple of downloads available now, maybe there is something more for you :)

I know what you mean by "completionist" hehe, and it is sad, really, that they haven't fixed it yet. Not you being a completionist but the jackal tape and predecessor mission glitch, that is  ;D

Maybe someone out there can enlighten us and solve the issue.

wexer9

Hopefully...it's good to see people are still active with this game.

We can always dream that we will get official support on these issues... ::)

Art Blade

This site is based on FC2. Many of us love it, but not everyone is actively playing it all the time because there are other good games out there, too.

Personally, I keep discovering things in FC2... I still love it and always return to it after episodes of different games :)

There is always hope. Maybe there is a solution, too :)

mandru

Hi wexer9, it's always good to see new people posting.

Sorry for the belated greeting but I tend to avoid technical topics as that's not really my strong suit.  ;)

I don't fix them, I just drives them and look for ways to get around bugs if they pop up.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Welcome, wexer9 :) Thanks for the info link, and for trying to help out Rangoon (and anyone else who may be having this problem) :-X

FC2 is dear to all our hearts. For me personally, it's one of the very few games that I never get sick of playing (and I have the sleep-debt to prove it).

wexer9

Thank you for welcoming me. :)

As I said earlier, I eagerly await progress to be made on this subject.

wexer9

Here's another topic about getting these missions working (again with Rangoon).

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1107724

Quote from: Art Blade on January 16, 2010, 06:24:53 PM
Hmm, something else:

Quote from: Rangoon on January 16, 2010, 05:50:08 PM
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2]

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 27, 2009, 05:57:08 AM
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ubisoft\Far Cry 2]

By the way, I was reading past a few posts and can confirm that I placed the registry codes in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder, like the original post suggests. That used to w@&k, before the "Fortunes Edition".

PZ

That's bad news wexer9; leads one to believe that the code in the Fortunes Edition was changed to preclude the use of the predecessor missions, although I can't imagine why.  I hope that I'm wrong.

Welcome to the forums; I hope you enjoy your visits.  ;)

wexer9

Quote from: PZ on January 26, 2010, 12:44:25 PM
That's bad news wexer9; leads one to believe that the code in the Fortunes Edition was changed to preclude the use of the predecessor missions, although I can't imagine why.  I hope that I'm wrong.

Welcome to the forums; I hope you enjoy your visits.  ;)

Thanks again. :)

Maybe we should contact (see: spam :P) Steam and Ubisoft support en masse about this issue. I know from reading this thread that this has been attempted, but now that we have new information (ie. the predecessor missions actually being removed from previous saved games), we could try again.

Also, I am going to try to delete/re-download Far Cry 2 sometime soon. I will keep my old saves and also start a new game, and see if that changes anything.

wexer9

Also, as if enough people weren't noticing this, here's another topic I found while poking around. There's nothing useful in it - yet. But it is in the official Ubisoft forums.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5071014757/m/6791085328

Edit: I just realized this is Rangoon again! This guy is everywhere! :P

Double edit: Here's an actual new topic on the Ubisoft forum. :)

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5071014757/m/9371051618

Art Blade

Thank you very much for all the support, wexer9.

Now that fragger mentioned it (you supporting Rangoon), I see it too, and more: This forum and its members are great. It even draws people like you, who never posted here before, out just to help other people, like Rangoon who only just joined us for we had been recommended by someone on a different forum. That someone was you! lol  ;D :-X

Yes, maybe there is a way to attract attention again, and I believe that the devs would not want their game to stay that way (crippled). I believe the devs would want to help. The question is, are the producers willing to spend money on developing a patch with that one (or two) issues? If the developers wanted and did (unpaid) create a patch, would the producers allow them to distribute it? I believe it is a question of money.

Tags:
🡱 🡳