Dogmeat

Started by PZ, October 26, 2009, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Do you mean those little pets locked up in cages you could swing an elephant in without hitting the bars?  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Deathclaws?

Oh, BTW

SPOILER :
;;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
;A guy (mybe in the citadel, I think), will ask you to do a quest, to test Deathclaws, he will give you a mind control unit. this wil make the deathclaws fight on your side against Enclave troops.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

deadman1

What!! Damn I missed that quest  :D I really could have used that when I went to Old Olney. Btw does anyone know how to add a game to games for windows Live? I´ve been looking all over there forum but I can´t find out if there´s anyway of doing that when you´re on the PC.

Art Blade

nope, maybe ask that in a seperate topic? Like "Help needed: 'Games For Windows Live!' how to add a game?"

And I missed that quest too. Darn :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Well, I found dogmeat but the mutt keeps attacking me - have tried earlier saved games to no avail - any ideas?

Fiach

Was he being attacked and did you rescue him?

Maybe a "mod" conflict?

No idea mate sorry :(

Ricamundo

Quote from: Fiach on November 04, 2009, 11:26:07 AM
My advice, keep the quantums, also take her stash too of the std nukas, that girls boyfriend has a nice shotgun too ;)

I do read your post m8. ;) Why keep em? they clutter up my pipboy and weigh me down and i definately dont need the caps.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Fiach

As I said in an earlier post :P, they are used to make Quantum grenades, you can also get a skill that converts ordinary Nukas into Quantums (but not Ice Cold Nukas).

Quantm grenades are 4x stronger that std grenades (even without explosives skills), There are some very hard monsters later, Quantums are a big help vs them.

Steal hers, she ill attack you, kill her and take her stuff (you know you want to :P). You take a small karma hit that you can recover easily. BTW there is no key for the locked machine in her house.

Dunno if you spoke to her boyfriend, but if you have the Black Widow skill/perk, you can convince him that if he gets some for you, he can sleep with you and the girl, he will run off to get them, if you just follow him, eventually bandits or monsters will kill him (he sucks at fighting), if you search him, you can take a great shotgun (Kneecapper), but you take no karma hit, because you dont kill him.

Ricamundo

Ah, i see. Well i handed over all my Quantums, and got a schematic for a Quantum grenade or somthing. ::) however i have no real interest in any of the grenades in FO3 because there doesn't seem to be a grenade launcher afaik.

As for the guy next door, he's always givin me attitude, so i offed him and took his kneecapper. I havent tried it yet, but i was unimpressed with the similar, if not identical sawed off shotgun, so i don't know wheter ill keep it or sell it.

I've found that the Gatling Laser is quite a cool weapon, so im keeping that one. 8) I havent bothered to make any of my own weapons as of yet, i already have too many weapons. You should see the floor of my Megaton house, it's covered with extra weapons! ;D
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Fiach

You throw the grenades mate :)

Up to you, but they were very handy with some of the monsters I met.

Ricamundo

I throw like a girl.. ;D seriously tho, 6 bazillion weapons so why on earth dont they have a grenade launcher of some kind?? I mean FC2 has 2 of em. I do use a fair no. of frag grenades, but lobbing them 2o ft with an onrushing Deathclaw, or those damned albino crab thingies just means lots of damage to my health. :o

Funny, i spend tons of time every play trying to decide what loadout to take with. I prefer to travel a bit light so i can scavenge for profit. ;) its like an embarassment of riches in the gun dept, and as i said i havent even bothered to build a weapon yet. 8)

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on November 04, 2009, 08:04:58 PM
Well, I found dogmeat but the mutt keeps attacking me - have tried earlier saved games to no avail - any ideas?
I think Fiach is correct in assuming this:
Quote from: Fiach on November 05, 2009, 12:38:10 AM
Was he being attacked and did you rescue him?

Because dogmeat only reacts like that to a threat, someone who is evil or attacked him that is.

Quote from: Fiach on November 05, 2009, 12:38:10 AM
Maybe a "mod" conflict?

I doubt a mod conflict (unless a certain mod modified dogmeat to become a beast).

How to find out:

1) Fire up FO3 without any data (mods)
2) reload your savegame
3) check on dogmeat.

4-A) If he still attacks, there had been something going wrong. Either come back later or load an even older savegame.

4-B) if he doesn't attack, go back to 1) and add any ONE mod, and go on until 4-B).

4-C) If he does attack, that was the bad mod, then.

Now it is interesting to know how mods w@&k. The newest (latest file date) will be loaded last, the oldest first. Each newer mod will override any previous mods. Just check (sort by date) the order of the mods to find out in which order they are loaded (and by that, which overrides which). If you have more than one mod, and if you want to keep them all, you can alter the filedate by using EDEN, just open and save... that file will be loaded last and override older mod files. That makes sense if you don't want an older mod to be overridden.

PZ

Thanks for the replies guys - no mods installed, even started a new game from scratch and the same thing happened.  I did rescue him in two attempts, and was too late in a couple more, but his name was indicated in red straight away as was the enemy red hash mark.  I tried to turn my back, drop my weapon, even get rid of any Raider items I had in my possession.  I finally just left the area and will return to see if anything has changed - really strange situation that I have not seen reported elsewhere on the 'net.

Fiach

OK couple of suggestions, there is no chance that you hit him with a stray bullet? OK, OWG members dont fire stray bullets :)

Here's an idea, sleep for a week and return, that should negate any bad history with NPC's.

Its no big deal if you dont get him, I found him useful, but only in a peripheral sense, like he could smell when enemies were around, he would get ammo for you and tanked pretty well too, but he was no real use when I got Charon as a companion.

Ricamundo

I found Dogmeat a while back but left him there, as im not fond of buddies. BTW who is Charon?

Funny story.. I found Fort Bannister(?) the base of the Brotherhood Outcasts, and accidiently killed the guard up on the overpass before i realized the HUD was green, not red. Anywho, after waiting a few minutes i ventured into the front yard of the base and talked to the guy in charge, and accepted an ongoing mish to retrieve hi tech items like laser weapons and power armour for caps.

I then went back and scavanged the power armour off of the Outcast i had just killed and tried to sell it, and got an annoyed sounding reply like " You thionk im going to pay you for our own power armour"??  ;D

It may cost me tho, as i came back later with some goodies, including Tesla power armour off of an Enclave dude who was heloed in in front of the Library. The Outcast guy took the laser rifles, but ignored the tesla armour. :o Dang, i guess thats what i get for being cheeky. ;)

PZ

lol, it's easy to become "cheeky" in the games, Ric!  (we might need to add a forum for this game after all - even if for just a while just to get the large number of posts a bit more manageable)

Thanks for the tip about sleeping for a while - had not tried that one.  I thought about the stray bullets too, but used old saves and without firing at all, or ensuring that the bullets came nowhere close to dogmeat had no effect on his bad attitude.  Eventually I placed myself into God mode and used the minigun on him - he never died, but it felt good to teach him a lesson  ;D

PZ

Well, I finally managed to get Dogmeat on my side - it took installation of the v.1.7 patch.  Of course, that was not all that easy - evidently Games for Windows version on the DVD was too low so the installation would fail when an ordinal in the xlive.dll was not found.  Did a search on the net and all it took was an update of the GFWL.  Once the patch was installed, I could get Dogmeat on my side in all of my saved games.

I really like the dog - used Art's mod to make him invincible, and he sure is nice to have around.  He spots the foes much more quickly than I can, and always has my back.  After killing a foe (or more), he comes running to me as if he expects a pet - I tell him that he is a good boy and he is happy.  He also managed to come along for the ride when I teleport throughout the map.

Having the dog along has made a huge difference in the fun of the game.  :-X

Fiach

Wait 'til ya get a load of Charon :)

Art Blade

Ricamundo, Charon is someone you can meet and make your buddy. He is a ghoul, but I gave him back his skin with my mod ;)

---

thanks for the new board, PZ  :-X :)

This post has been prepared before you wrote that the patch solved the problem for you, but I'll post it anyway because it contains info you might find useful under different circumstances. More about why "prepared before..." at the end of this post.

---

I am not sure if that dog doesn't like bad karma. Are you evil and a bad person in the game, PZ?
if so, you can change that.

rewardKarma <type any positive or negative numbers, like +100

Well there is a solution. This works with any character in FO3, so I show you how to use it with dogmeat. Go back to dogmeat so he is well visible to you and open the console - he will freeze that very moment. Now point your mouse at him and click once. That should bring up is ID on top of the screen like

(dogmeat) "0006a775"

Write down "0006a775" for "dogmeat" somewhere.

That ID has to be on top of the screen when you want to use any command with that object. Type

kill

You'll notice that after "kill" the ID disappears, so you either click on dogmeat again OR you type

prid 0006a775

both will bring dogmeat's ID back on screen.

When you see dogmeat's ID on the screen, type

resurrect

That will bring him back... usually in a better mood :)

PS: This post has been in the memory/cache of firefox, unsent, and I had FO3 running in the background. I did some alt-tabbing to get the codes for dogmeat, when my PC froze. Hardcore. The clock in my keyboard's display had stopped... cold reset and reboot. Now what... I couldn't access the internet any more, got an error that meant either my system had lost some drivers for the ethernet card or, unfortunately more likely, my ethernet card had given in for good. I tried those system restore points to a previous version, to no avail, so I undid that system restore and got back to where I have been already. Well, today I bought a new ethernet card, started my computer, connected to the net, and firefox actually had this unsent message still "in mind" :)

With my connection down, I felt like locked out from OWG, a not so pleasant experience. Good to be back, folks :)

PZ

I'm glad that you made it back, Art - without too long a delay.

Your information regarding how to identify characters is quite opportune for me - am planning most of the day gaming (my wife is out shopping: "yes dear... take your time... I'm not planning to do much but putter about the house  ;D)

The step-by-step instructions are just the ticket.  :-X

By the way, I'm playing as the "good guy" but am looking forward to playing as a bad boy to see how it goes.

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on November 07, 2009, 02:20:34 AM
Wait 'til ya get a load of Charon :)

I'm looking forward to meeting this one - I hope I don't accidentally kill him before I realize who he is!  ;D

Art Blade

you can't  (if you use my mod, that is)  ;)

PZ

Dang it - can I select Dogmeat and use the console to make him indispensable so that at least he does not die?

Art Blade

the ArtMod already took care that neither dogmeat nor Charon nor Fawkes can die. Dogmeat needs an activation though ("good boy" makes him permanently immortal) whereas Charon and Fawkes start as immortal. They can drop unconscious but will wake up shortly after.

PZ

Perfect - thanks Art!

Tags:
🡱 🡳