Rage

Started by Dweller_Benthos, September 23, 2009, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

hmmm, I see Fiach. That sounds annoying indeed. When I was reading that huge review, the last thing I thought of was a lack of ammo. Everything seemed 'easy shoot 'm up style'. I hope things change. Did you start with the hardest diff. setting? Allthough, I don't think that will matter much. I've read that the diff. settings change the killing power of the enemies and their behaviour in racing. And the ammount of health you can have. Nothing mentioned about ammo quantities.
Can't wait to test a bit for myself ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

Well, I have been to the second town and got my Crimson Armour, it basically contains all the bonuses of the other armours in one suit.... but it doesnt tell you how those bonuses w%&k.

Vehicle combat is similar to Borderlands, but the guns auto target, taking alot of the pain out of the borderland combat. You can buy things like auto bombs, you drop a little remote buggy loaded with explosives, looks kinda like the mini car in Duke Nukem and it auto targets the nearest vehicle and detonates :)

The repair costs are quite minimal and you get a few vehicles in the second town.

Theres a race track in the second town, where you can compete in different events to get upgrades for your cars etc.

Its a pretty good game, with some nice weapons so far, Shottie, Pistol, Sniper, Crossbow, Boomerang (you can get a schematic to build your own boomerangs), our business is death, pal, and business is good :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fiach

Normal mate, I'm not a big shooter fan tbh, but maybe ammo will pick up later, havent had to buy any yet :)

Binnatics

3 more hours of waiting, and then I can finally install the game ::) ::) ::)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

LOL! :)

I'm enjoying it mate, hope you enjoy it too :)

Binnatics

Holy moly, Steam is Pre-loading the game  :o
20Gb of info I've allready covered on 3 DVD's ^+-+

Fiach

Does that mean the game will install twice on your PC?  :o

Fiach

OK I hit a problem.

If you go to a TV station to get a sponsor, bring a ton of shotgun ammo as its really an arena where you have to survive waves of mutants.

My problem is apparently some sort of glitch, gonna return the game tomorrow for a new copy, see if its that, anyway, at the TV station, you eventually get to a kind of one armed bandit, where you have to stop the wheels turning, by hitting a target. You cannot save in there, so I have to keep starting the arena from the beginning  :D.

Damn game keeps locking up on me here and I cant progress.

The game is starting to wear a bit thin with me now, I'm about 4 hours in and its like drive to a corridor, shoot stuff, drive back to town, get a quest, drive to a corridor, shoot stuff, there was a sniper mission on the job board was a bit different, but otherwise its a corridor shooter disguised as an open world game, so far.

JRD

Quote from: Fiach on October 06, 2011, 05:39:24 PM
(...) its a corridor shooter disguised as an open world game, so far.

Geez... it sounds nasty  ???

So no mission in the open? None at all? It's weird that they created such a nice world but failed to come up with a story that actually benefits from all that  ????  :D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

Well there were two outdoor missions so far with sniper rifles.

One was stand on a ledge and protect two workers a they were attacked by mutants. The other was to approach a gate and snipe the people on the top wall.

The corridors are even recycled, eg. you get sent to a mutant hideout to get something, then another mission is to go to the same place, but go in the backdoor and repeat the map in reverse.

PZ

Cool about the sniper rifles  :-X

Are you given the sniper rifle like is often seen in linear game style, or do you choose your weapons, more open world style (like FC2)?

Fiach

Quote from: PZ on October 06, 2011, 06:42:33 PM
Cool about the sniper rifles  :-X

Are you given the sniper rifle like is often seen in linear game style, or do you choose your weapons, more open world style (like FC2)?

Not quite sure what you mean mate, you have an inventory and can carry multiple weapons, ammo, items for crafting etc. You assign weapons to a diamond, so when you press the right bumper, 4 assigned weapons will appear on screen, you select which to use with the right stick, when you do, a diamond with the different ammos pertaining to that weapon appears onscreen and you select which ammo to use, its very fluid.

I have currently assigned a crossbow, Shottie, Sniper and Pistol. Also, you can assign the boomerang to the left bumper, so you always can have 5 weapons assigned at a time I guess.

Some missions you dont have to travel to, when you accept the mission, there is a loading screen and eg. with the sniper mission, you appear on the ledge, you cannot save during these missions.

PZ

Clear enough now - thanks.

What I meant is that sometimes in more linear games you are provided with a weapon rather than choose your own.  An example would be Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway.  While quite linear, the theme is WWII, which I am particularly fond of.  However, as you progress through the game, you start a mission with a weapon in your hand chosen by the programmers rather than a weapon of your own choosing.

Fiach

Ah, I get you now :)

I'll tell you somethng disappointing (yeah another thing lol :)), you cannot pick up an enemy's weapon, when they die the weapon fades away beside them, thats why I have no assault rifle. I could buy one, but the weapons I have so far were all quest items, on saying that I have (I think) only about 60 AR bullets, so it wouldnt be much use anyway.

Its a feature I didnt like in Dead Island either, another FPS "shooter", with bugger all bullets.

I still havent found any RPG elements apart from the "quests" (which are more errands than quests), In Borderlands each character had 3 skill trees making for variety in subsequent playthroughs, even if you chose the same character, I cant see any merit in replaying Rage so far and while I have only played about 4 hours, its still 25% of the game and I have found it pretty lacklustre.

Sorry if I'm coming across like a whingin' jenny, I am enjoying the game, but not to the extent that I was hoping for. I would have loved more RPG elements..... ummm...... and bullets :)

Binnatics

Well, finally I'm allowed to play ^-^
Got some codes delivered in my box who unlock the DLC stuff (Sewers and Anarchy pack) and now Steam is 'decripting files', so still got to wait.

To answer your question Fiach: No, I don't have to install the game twice, it's just installing the 'steam way'. After introducing the accesskey through steam, I couldn't start installing with my DVD's, because, steam said, it wasn't released yet.
When I was on my Steam account later on, I checked my games-library and there I found Rage, with the possibility to "pre-load" the game. I thought, well, if my DVD's don't help me out, I'll try this. And thus I've installed the game through Steam downloadservice ^-^
The shiny DVD's can all stay in the box ^-^

I read an article of someone complaining about the many ppl complaining about the game, saying that ID pushed its linear corridor shooting games to another level by giving more freedom to the player. Not to create an entirely open post-appocaliptic world. The guy stated that the adverticement had focused too much on the open-world character of the game. Anyway, Finally I can check it out for myself. What I'm hoping for is a bulletstorm kind of game, with more freedom of choice. And I'm definitely looking forward to the racing part. That should be like Fuel 'with extras' :)

Ah, finally Steam is done 'decripting the files' so I can start.  ::) ::) ::)

Fiach

Ah, yes, I get you now :)

Some MMO's let you d/l new content so you will have it ready for launch day, but you cannot access it until then :)

Fuel? I dont think so mate, that was truely open world with different environments and IIR weather and day/night cycles. There are sone ramps to jump on and if you hit the floating object, you will get items for crafting, some jumps have destroyed my vehicle leaving me on foot and having to reload a previous save, so save before the jump as you can save anywhere :)

Binnatics

Deep sigh,

First impressions: Super crappy graphics. It's just like the movie I've uploaded earlier in this topic. Super slow rendering. The game isn't moving fluid either, and there's no vertical sinchronization. Which makes moving not really pleasant. Poping up any menu, will cause weird artifacts of the world shown underneath the menu. (menu pops over world, world flickers through. Weird. Crap. Damn, I'll have to go search for solutions to these prblems before I can really star the game. :(

That's a thick, fat minus >:((

Fiach

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully the PC version will get some sort of HD patch soon.

You know, ID as a company are famous for the gfx, I remember Doom 3 when it was released, how incredible the gfx were, but surely they must find this game a total embarassment to its heritage. I could imagine the game being so graphically intense, that some PC's would struggle to run it, but that is definately not the case here.

RDR is a similar environment, both the towns and landscape, that was released a year or so ago, Rage, created by probably the most iconic gfx company, isn't fit to lick its boots. ID are hoping to unseat the Unreal engine as the Developers choice with this game as its tech demo, I hope they have a decent pension plan lined up.  >:D

Binnatics

Quote from: Fiach on October 07, 2011, 01:11:03 AM
I hope they have a decent pension plan lined up.  >:D

^+-+ :-X

I think you're right Fiach, Graphically this game is far from a revolution, not even near a top gfx game imho. Anyway, there seems to be a driverpatch for AMD, so gonna try that. Who knows the game will at least be enjoyable then :-\\

Fiach

TBH mate its a good enough game, I just believed the hype and was really looking forward to a Fallout/Borderlands kinda thing, but we just have to suck it up.

Currently waiting for my new install to finish and try it again from the start, I uninstalled and deleted my old save just incase it was corrupt. (ouch  :D), so you are actually ahead of me now  :-D.

Fiach

Well I just started it up and there was a patch available and it certainly improved the pop up when you step out of the ark, like improved it immensely! :)

Binnatics

I hope there will be a patch available soon for PC too. I'm not playing it again unless it improves. It's UN F***ING PLAYABLE on PC, period!

The AMD driver I downloaded for the game, a special release to cure this game's graphic performance, didn't change a thing for me.
The screen is full of constant flickering artifacts, the textures take time to load with every movement and the menues are even causing more artifacts. The screen is a constant restless movement which makes me go crazy. After trying to ignore all this for like half an hour, I made it up to the location where I had to fix a radio tower or something, in order to get a shotgun, the game crashed.
Well, as Windows would say: "Rage has stopped working properly" :D :D :D
If they call that first 30 minute experience "working properly"  :D again and  :D :D :D

I'll upload some of the shiny graphics I could admire so far.
First some examples of the texture problems:
Spoiler

[smg id=3736 width=500]
First view: you don't even see your hud (!)

[smg id=3737 width=500]
Buildings without textures

[smg id=3733 width=500]
Buildings with starting textures (hud disappeared ?)

[smg id=3734 width=500]
Buildings with complete textures (hud half reappeared)

[smg id=3731 width=500]
Landscape first view

[smg id=3732 width=500]
Landscape after first view

[smg id=3738 width=500]
Landscape complete

Some examples of the great graphics:
Spoiler

[smg id=3727 width=500]
Check out it's left arm; weird position huh ;)
(it's going right thrue the body to end up somewhere between the legs)

[smg id=3728 width=500]
Beautiful paintings...

[smg id=3729 width=500]
Check out the detail

This is what the artifacts do to the menu:
Spoiler

[smg id=3725 width=400]
Normal menu appearance

[smg id=3726 width=400]
Weird menu appearance

As you can see, this MUST change. These are only static examples, but when playing the artifacts and texture changes make the screen such a nervous experience that it's, like I said, unplayable.

deadman1

OK so were´s my copy?!! *stares at mailbox*  >:(( I preordered the game so I would have it today and so far no luck  :-(

Binnatics

Nevermind Deadman,

The game needs fix first. The way it appears now, on PC, is to  :'(

Fiach

I looked at those pics mate and they are fugly! My previous install was not that bad, so there is something definately wrong there!  :-\\

Well I have played again up as far as getting the buggy and it is going well, the gfx are actually VERY impressive now, I cant believe how much more crisp they are and virtually no pop up and none indoors this time around.

I have been meleeing the crap out of everything, but this time I'm using the fists that came with the DLC, I just saw a hand icon, last time and never realised that it was a weapon lol :), I have fired about 6 bullets since I started, I have about 500 pistol rounds accumulated at this early stage lol :)
Fists of Rage ftw :)

Hope you get sorted out soon mate :(

Tags:
🡱 🡳