Need For Speed: Shift

Started by Art Blade, September 13, 2009, 07:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I keep saying TDU is my all-time favourite racer, just love it, and I actually had a friend download (purchase) the DLC for me (more cars). And yes, you are right about NFS:S -- it's basically a blend of different games, only they did everything right that used to be annoying: ie now sell anything at 100%, have replays, customise a car when other games didn't allow you to, the language selection which I think is exceptionally cool, no annoying mouse in a console-based game menu. I like the idea of a pure racer combined with the tuning fun of old NFS titles.

Just keep in mind that I am on a PC, I think some of the cool racing games you mentioned are console exclusives, aren't they?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Forza and Gotham are 360 exclusive mate yes :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Art Blade

It's been a while...

QuoteWarning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

One of my favourite quotes ;)

However, I post here because today I bought Split/Second and in that topic I remarked about NFS:Shift that I've never finished the game:

Quote from: Art Blade on August 02, 2010, 02:45:12 PMI hope it to be more fun  than ... NFS:Shift. I've never finished it for some reason. It was definitely not because of physics, graphics, or tracks. All that was cool. I think it was because of the enormous amount of races and you kept unlocking even more races. Not one but a set of races. And so on. I kind of got drowned in races. And there was no story line along with it..

Basically NFS:Shift is a very good game. It is also nothing wrong with a lot of races in a racing game. For me it was more that.. there never seemed to be an end anywhere near. The more I raced, the longer it took to get to finish the game, strange. The original NFS games used to have a story I was keen on, it was fun to progress in those games because you knew why you tried so hard to get better, you wanted to beat some bad guy in the end. Shift, however, was only race after race after race, and it became kind of a chore and boring. Which is a shame, they did so much to improve racing games, particularly to be able to sell parts you had bought but didn't like or need any more, or sell entire pimped-up cars for 100% of what you spent on them. No drawbacks selling your stuff apart from losing that stuff, of course :) Free (0,00$) vinyls to plaster your car with.. man, all that was great. The feeling was great too, cars "felt" heavy when pushing them around corners and all, very nice physics, nice graphics.. but it lacked something. Maybe the legacy of illegal street races, the very principal idea behind NFS.

Maybe one day I'll finish it :)

fragger

Nothing out of the ordinary about not finishing a game. There's probably more games that I haven't finished than have, for one reason or another - got too repetitive, got too boring, or got too tough.

No matter how well put together a game is, or how much fun it is to play for a while, if it becomes a case of doing the same thing over and over again with no discernible final goal, it's bound to get monotonous.

Art Blade

Well, I understand that a number of people would say that, but for me this was as far as I remember the second game ever I didn't finish. The first one was TFX, if I remember the name correctly, which was a high-tech combat flight simulator.  It took me ages to get the plane off the ground, and I remember two aspects about that game: 1) Every key of the keyboard was bound more than once, depending on which situation ("menu") you were in, and those gazillions of keys were basically all bound to lethal human errors. One stroke of the wrong key and you'd like shut off one engine mid-flight and.. wreck yourself. You needed to go through a miles-long checklist before you fricking got that plane off the ground. And it went on like that.. just the way simulators are meant to be. 2) There were no dogfights nor eye-contacts with targets. Too fast a plane, too far away a target. All I was doing was fighting with the keyboard rather than with enemies. I never touched it again.

The second one is Shift, although that is erm, on hold. I think that one day I'll resume playing it, because basically there was nothing wrong with it. Only by the time I got it, I wasn't exactly so very much enthusiastic about driving a car around. It was a time when there was nothing new for some time, no game that interested me, so this was a game that for a change was new. But then again.. I was more into shooters than into racers. That's why I gave up on it and kept it open for later use.. no idea when.

Tags:
🡱 🡳