How to play Fallout 4

Started by OWGKID, November 30, 2015, 10:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

the moment the support team see a nick like that, they're likely going to "accidentally" close that ticket of yours with an angry smile. So I wouldn't do that. You can only get anywhere with them being patient and not aggressive (at least for starters) -- you can develop that kind of behaviour once a contact is established.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I agree, better to be polite until they fix your problem, even though it grates, then put the boot in.

Things like this are why I hate online rego and activation :angry-new: Reminds me of the time I bought a physical copy of a game (can't remember which one exactly - might have been Modern Warfare 2) then had to wait two days to play it because Steam's official release date hadn't quite been reached, even though I had the disk in my hand and was raring to go :D

Sounds like there's some kind of clash happening with your old account details in the launch area of Steam, maybe it's an IP-related thing or something, I don't know much about how these things w@&k. Even though your username and password have changed, maybe it's also checking your IP address, seeing that it's the same as per your old account and that's causing a conflict. It shouldn't, though - should it? Like I said, I'm just stabbing in the dark. The fact that you can access Steam support but not the game installer/launcher indicates to me that there's some kind of lingering conflict with your old account.

Do you currently still have any other titles registered with Steam, such as Half-Life 2? Maybe that's a contributing factor.

In any case, sorry to hear about your hassles mandru, that stinks. Hope it gets sorted soon, I know how much you were looking forward to getting into FO4. One would think that it shouldn't be much of a prob for Steam to clean things up for you and start you off fresh.

mandru

I went in starting from scratch and created a new account. I was able to get a second user name and pass to be accepted allow me to login on the Steam homepage.  Once that was accomplished I went back to the still unanswered support ticket and closed it.  By the time I was able to get that all wrapped up it was too late in the evening to start loading FO4 so I'll have to kick off that process a little later this morning.

Once I was logged in and setting up my account there was something about I had to give a browser a "friendly name" so I would recognize it among several other devices my Steam account would activate but I still have no idea what that was about.

In the Steam user agreement it says that once my account was created I'd be able to set preferences as to who I would allow Steam to share my contact info and identifying personal details with but I've torn all of the options up on site and can find nothing that allows me to muzzle that beast.  I guess it's good that I set Steam up to use my spam trap address for email.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

One other thing that occurs to me when programs are failing in unusual ways - ports.  The Steam client requires certain ports, and firewalls plus other software can cause problems.  Here's a link to things to try in case anyone else develops issues.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1456-EUDN-2493

Tags:
🡱 🡳