First impressions

Started by fragger, November 18, 2014, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

Quote from: Art Blade on January 03, 2015, 11:04:36 PM
no

Did you actually spend alot of time coming up with that answer?  :angel:

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Essentially you and your co-opper are just loose in the game world, it's not a mission-based affair like FC3's co-op play.

I have a bit of a prob though now. In SP games I appear to be stuck in infinite ammo mode. We played with cheats enabled (God mode, infinite ammo and ignore player). Since we played I've fired the game up again in SP. God mode and ignore player cheats are no longer active, but I still have infinite ammo enabled, which I don't like having in a SP game (in fact I'm not crazy about having any cheats enabled at all in SP). I've restored my original GamerProfile.xml file from the backup I made of it and checked the contents - the cheats are gone from the file but I'm still getting infinite ammo in the game. Doesn't matter if I play online or offline, or whether I launch the game from my own desktop icon or via Uplay, infinite ammo remains.

I may have to try starting a new game to see if it clears it.

Art Blade

lol fragger, weird - I can actually switch it on and off and it works accordingly. Keep checking the content of the xml (make sure it doesn't contain cheats)

Binnatics

Maybe try co-op again and let Art switch off the cheat for infinite ammo. It sounds weird, but Ubi acts in weird ways sometimes.  ;)

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

The other thing to try is keep playing while trying different things with your weapons.  Remember hos the high jump didn't initiate until you did a bunch of jumps?  Forgot how gibbed explained it, but it might be similar

fragger

Quote from: Binnatics on January 04, 2015, 08:34:16 AM
...It sounds weird, but Ubi acts in weird ways sometimes.  ;)

That would be the understatement of the year :-()

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Art tried to help me out last night, we tried a few different things but the prob remains. We didn't try Binn's suggestion (although that did occur to me) because we didn't actually play together. I got on briefly to try a couple of things before going to watch a movie, like switching weapons around and killing myself, when Art got online, contacted me and offered to help (thanks mate, I appreciated that :)). It's not a huge deal and he and PZ are probably right, sooner or later it will right itself.

As much as I don't like the story, I was thinking of doing another playthrough anyway just to see how different the main missions are if you choose the alternate ones - go with Sabal instead of Amita or vise-versa. Starting anew might fix it.

Stupid Ubi ::)

Art Blade

meanwhile I had the same idea as Binnatics and also told fragger about what PZ said (it's probably a cached information that will get overridden eventually)

PZ

Well boys, I got FC4 because my oldest wants to play co-op.  He told me about a strange thing:

Spoiler
When you are sitting at the table with the purple pants guy, he tells you to stay and he'll help find the place for mom's ashes. If you do so, he will return and lead you directly to the end scene where you place the urn and the game ends - credits roll. Talk about the fastest time to complete a game ever

fragger

Funny you mention that PZ. I read that online only about half an hour ago. I'm going to see if by some chance it circumvents the whole story. Will let you know...

fragger

No such luck.

Spoiler

I started a new game, then didn't touch the controls at all - just let the intro play out until I ended up at the table in Min's place, waited until Min finished his monologue and he got up and left. You can't do anything anyway during the whole intro sequence, but once Min leaves there is a fade-out/fade-in, and then you have control. A message pops up telling you to explore the palace. This time I did nothing, I didn't even touch the controls - just sat there at the table without moving and without even looking around. After 13 minutes there was another fade-out/fade-in and a new cutscene began with Min walking back in. He spoke for a moment then we went off to place Mum's ashes, ostensibly flying there by chopper although the flight was skipped over with another fade out and in.

We arrived at the shrine, Min went through another blurb as we walked to the shrine, and then I had control again.  I went into the shrine, placed the ashes, then went back out, whereupon another cutscene began and control was taken away from me again. Min said a few lines before climbing back into the chopper, finishing with "Finally we'll get to shoot some guns". The scene faded out and the credits began to roll.

I let the credits roll (about 15 minutes' worth, but you can skip over them). After the credits I was back at the main menu. I chose "Continue Online" hoping that maybe the game would go directly to post-game free-roam, but no. It just repeated the ash-scattering cutscene. I went through that again, skipped the credits, came back to the main menu, chose "Continue" and got the ash scene once again.

So there's no way to skip the story. Should have known.

What they should have done IMO is this: If you do the waiting-for-Min thing at the beginning and then go though the ash-scattering scene, then after the credits have finished and you go back to the main menu, you select Continue and can then play in free-roam with the entire map accessible, with no story missions. But this is Ubi and you have to do it their way or no way at all.

Bugger.

Art Blade

PZ

Like you fragger, I had hope that Ubi had finally done something reasonable for us open world gamers that don't like foolishness, but yet again am disappointed.  Something so incredibly simple, and they still will not do it.  Oh well, maybe a modder will save their bacon... again

It would have been a really cool and novel approach to a game - as it is, it is meaningless

fragger

It also doesn't last. When I fired up the game tonight, the "Continue" options (online or offline) had disappeared. So it's back to the start and that lengthy intro cutscene. But I had to start a new game anyway or "Continue" would have just kept putting me back to that final ash-scattering scene every time.

Yep, pointless.

On the plus side, starting a new game fixed the prob I was having with unlimited ammo not going away. It's back to normal.

Art Blade

at least that worked now :) Weird, I can switch it on and off.

fragger

Uplay just doesn't like me... Dunno why, seeing as how I've had nothing but good things to say about it :angel: (ahem)

Art Blade

fragger

Knowing what to expect, the main missions are a bit easier the second time through. They're not necessarily any more enjoyable though...

At least I can turn God mode on or off for the dumb ones (read Shangri-La). I just have to remember to stay away from the infinite ammo cheat.

PZ

I wish I could do cheats on the console.  I'm still hesitant to ruin my experience by doing main missions.

Art Blade

Those main missions aren't as bad as I thought they might be except those Shangri-La ones sure were something I didn't require; although I admit that the level design of those (all the stuff in there like giant Buddhas) was cool.

PZ

I have to admit that I an thoroughly impressed with the FC4 world.  I am exploring the entire landscape in the gyro, and that is great fun - being able to set down whenever there is something interesting to see - I feel almost like a tourist on vacation.  Sometimes I even swoop down in the gyro and rain 40mm rounds onto convoy trucks - great fun as well.

I sure do like the free roam part of the game  :-X

Art Blade

indeed :) Downside: coop is basically free roam. And that is quickly becoming boring when you think about how challenging FC3 coop missions were.

PZ

I never did play FC3 co-op.  Maybe I need to go back in and try  :-X

fragger

Art and I played FC3 co-op a few nights ago (or days ago, in Art's case :-()) and that was a first time for me too. It was way more fun than co-op FC4. Note Art's italics in his last post - FC3 co-op is mission-based. FC4 is just the co-oppers roaming around the countryside shooting stuff. Sure, you can team up and try taking a fortress or an outpost, but it gets old quickly.

Despite the negative comments made about FC4 by myself and others here (and I have probably been one of the most vociferous detractors), there is indeed loads of fun to be had, as I have also maintained. There are times when I have a terrific amount of fun in the game. Art brings up a good point in that even though the main missions are largely scripted, or linear, or race-against-timey, or hallucinatory, or various combinations thereof, there is some very cool eye candy and some quite jaw-dropping vistas, monuments and statuary. It is a marvelous-looking game with great sounds, a more natural day/night cycle than FC3's, a large range of weaponry, some genuinely cool innovations and always plenty to do. Being able to reset outposts at any time is another plus.

It still doesn't come up to FC2 for immersion value in my humble opinion, but all things considered it is a step up from FC3. Put it this way - I played FC3 for quite a while and grew to rather enjoy it, but now that I've played FC4 I don't feel like going back to FC3 any more.

Tags:
🡱 🡳