Mad Max

Started by Dweller_Benthos, February 05, 2014, 07:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Supposedly by the same guys who did Just Cause? I think. Open world -ish, I think. Not much info here https://madmaxgame.com/ but I think it's probably third person, so have fun guys.

One of my favorite movies, too.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

Looks cool D_B :-X

Reminds me of Fuel. Wonder how the fighting and shooting will be integrated. I'm looking forward to see more :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

Hmm...

Bleak, desolate and looks completely gorgeous.  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

hehe :-D

It does look interesting :-X "Ammo is scarce, so choose your weapons wisely" suggests a tactical approach to the game as opposed to a mindless blastathon.

Dunno whatever happened to that new Mad Max film that was announced a few years ago, it seems to have come to nothing ????

Out of the movies, I liked Mad Max 2 (released as The Road Warrior in the U.S.) the best. Corny dialogue and hammy acting to be sure, but the premise is interesting and it has a raw energy that many modern "action" films lack. The climactic chase scene is still one of my favourite vehicular sequences in moviedom. It was on free-to-air TV here just a few nights ago and I had to watch it again :-X Naturally it was the original Aussie version - The Road Warrior is a dubbed-in affair with American voices, which I've seen and the dubbing really spoils it for me. I can't bear to watch that one.

Bit of trivia: When the refinery blows up, at that time the amount of explosive used was the largest amount employed for a single movie scene. Members of the production crew scoured the surrounding desert for several miles around to warn any campers or 4x4 drivers in the area to be vigilant as the effects of that much explosive, i.e. how far the debris would travel, wasn't known for sure. It's still a pretty impressive series of blasts even by today's standards.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, the car chase scenes in Mad Max 2 (Road Warrior) are pretty cool, some of the best, but those and the ones in the original Mad Max (I have the DVD and always watch with original Aussie dialog) owe a lot to a film called Vanishing Point. A story about a guy doing a cross country car delivery who just doesn't want to stop for piddly things like cops. Or slow down for speed limits.

Not sure if the DVD version of MM2 has a separate sound track or not? I'm not sure I have that on disc, which is strange. Strange that I don't have it, not strange that I don't remember having it.

As far as the game is concerned, it might be cool, but if it's third person as I suspect, I'll have to hear about it from you guys.
D_B

nexor

See they talking about Mad Max: Fury Road(2015)
filimed in the Namibian desert

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392190/

fragger

Cheers nex :-X :)

I see George Miller is directing, same guy who directed all the previous Mad Maxes.

I notice one of the writers is a chap named Nick Lathouris. He was an acquaintance of mine back in my theatre days, though I haven't been in touch with him for a great many years. He's a cool actor as well, he had a small role in the original Mad Max as a mechanic at an outback garage (credited as the Grease Monkey) who from memory gets hassled first by the bad-guy bikers and later by Max when Max is tracking down the baddies. I never knew that he wrote anything - as I say, it's been over thirty years since I last saw him.

Evidently the movie is still on track as IMDB lists its status as "post-production". Possibly it and the new game will be a co-release.

Dweller_Benthos

I've seen some videos of it, and it's definitely 3rd person, lots of car combat and racing. Mostly, it reminds me of the latest Batman game, that I forget the title of, especially in the hand-to-hand combat where a bunch of guys come at you then wait their turn to throw a punch at you. Plus it tells you what button to press to do things like block or critical hit.

So, for that, I won't be playing it, but the car combat looks cool, just wish the on foot stuff was better.
D_B

fragger

Dunno how Max ended up in San Francisco... ????

Art Blade

he got kicked out of Oz because they can't have people doing the right thing around there :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

:laugh:

Well, it was Mel Gibson as Max originally, and in view of his bizarre rants and meltdowns over the years I for one am glad that he doesn't live here anymore. He's gone from being a favourite son to a major embarrassment ::)

Getting back on topic, the write-ups make the game sound quite interesting but I dunno - the scrap-collecting part of the game seems like it might get tediously repetitive after a while, and the third-person view kind of puts me off a bit. If there is enough of other things to do the game might be OK, but it's obvious that the game is aimed primarily at Fury Road fans despite the fact that the story bears no relation - apparently. I haven't seen FR and probably won't, believing as I do that it's high time old Max hung up his leathers for good.

I'll wait until some more reviews and screenies are in before I think about the possibility of considering this game :-()

nexor

And the graphics don't look so great either     :-\\

PZ

I'm with fragger about the tedium part of collecting things - never did get into that much in any game.  This quote has me interested, but likely not until bargain prices

Quote from: PCAIf you're a fan of games that let you play your own way, Mad Max is definitely a game for you. There are multiple ways to tackle almost every area of Mad Max, and customisation is a huge theme throughout the game – it's very much your personal game.

Binnatics

This game reminds me a bit too much of Rage. I think I'll leet it pass :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, the videos I've seen show a lot of scrap collecting, but you can skip some if you want, but using it to upgrade your car and weapons makes things easier, and becomes mandatory later in the game if you want to make any progress. And, though it looks open world, and you can go anywhere, there are roads to follow and if you get off of them, your car speed goes way down, so you stick to the roads mostly. But the third person combat just turns me off, as it looks like it just becomes a button mash event with some almost quick time event style combat where it will flash on screen what button to hit at what moment.

Is it supposed to be set in San Francisco? I didn't catch that, as it's set on the shore of what used to be the ocean, which has dried up, so I suppose he could have driven right across the Pacific from Oz to the US and landed in San Fran I guess.
D_B

fragger

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on September 28, 2015, 07:58:08 AM
Is it supposed to be set in San Francisco?

There was this line in the first article under the "Open world and weather system" section:

"Although it's not known by the inhabitants, players soon realise that this is set in what would be San Francisco, with what's left of the Golden Gate bridge visible in-game".

I guess the devs thought this location might make the game more appealing to American players. I don't know. I guess it doesn't really matter where the desert is :-()

The original Mad Max had an immediate-future setting that could be related to, taking place largely in rural New South Wales. The film depicts vestiges of civilization still in existence - towns, farms, a railroad station where the trains still run. NSW gradually turns to sub-desert in the far west/north-west, so both rural and quasi-desert types of landscape are seen in the film (it's a pretty awful movie, really - corny dialogue, cringeworthy acting, and a paint-by-numbers musical score. What action there is is very well executed though). Mad Max 2 (released as The Road Warrior in the US) moved the action further out to a strictly desert locale, where the franchise has remained ever since. RW was filmed in the near-desert of NW NSW, Beyond Thunderdome was filmed near Coober Pedy, South Australia.

Fury Road is actually the first MM movie to have its outdoor shooting done outside of Oz, in Africa (Namibia to be precise). Dunno why they went there - we've got enough deserts here to film a thousand post-apocalyptic movies without using any of the same locations twice :-()

UPDATE: Just found out why the location shooting was moved to Africa. They had originally intended to film around Broken Hill, NSW (near where the Road Warrior was filmed) but unseasonal heavy rain made the landscape bloom with a most undesert-like profusion of plant life. This does happen sometimes. Since the abruptly green-and-flowery landscape didn't exactly gel with the post-apocalyptic theme, the production was moved elsewhere. Still, I don't know why they had to take it out of the country altogether ????

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I think Fury Road is also supposed to take place on the bottom of the dried up ocean, which is where the game takes place. It's just a lot easier in a game to have a group of people squatting in an old oil tanker that's beached on the dry ocean bed than to show it in a movie.
D_B

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Here's IGN's review of Mad Max, with gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doo0U34L0lY

I don't think it's my kind of game.

There's a fight scene at the end of the clip showing Max up against about half a dozen bad guys and as usual with things like this, the baddies generally just stand around and watch while they let Max thump the daylights out of them one at a time.

I know this should be in the movies topic, but I'll mention it here: I checked out Fury Road, purely for curiosity's sake. Despite being filmed in Africa, according to producer George Miller it's supposed to be set in a post-apocalyptic Australia (the cast are all Aussies except for Charlize Theron) and is not a sequel to earlier Max films but instead is a complete reboot. It's an unashamed actioner with Miller himself describing it as one big chase (I wasn't expecting anything more - just as well). I have to say, they handle the action really well - some of those sequences are amazing. But that's about all there is. The story and characters are minimal and the whole film is pretty silly, and as violent as all get out. The vehicles, effects and stunts are the real stars of the show. As imaginative a production as it was, I wouldn't watch it a second time. A bit too bleak and ugly for my tastes.

The game evidently bears no relation to Fury Road whatsoever, only the rough premise has been borrowed.

🡱 🡳