(funny) Tactics and Tips

Started by Art Blade, April 11, 2009, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Sounds reasonable, from a programmer's point of view, they had to think of situations like that. Well, I love the way they did it :) The surprises are funny  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

31) Danger Seeker (Pala)

If you want to have the extra bit of thrill, go to Pala right there:

[smg id=1477 align=center width=400]

And start a town war. Here you have good chances of surviving quite long, you'll get loads of supplies (grenades, weapons, ammo, suicidal mercs) and will dead sure have some fun :) Good if you are bored or just need something to shoot at. Best make a savegame right there and start over whenever you like. Test your loadout for a siege :)

[smg id=1478 align=center width=400]

Erm, should you wonder why I have a Desert Eagle (aka Deagle) in my hand... I took it upon myself to travel from Bowa to Leboa, and dropped in for some fun while those mercs dropped dead... couldn't dodge a bullet for the life of them ;)

14 December 2009 additional tip

So you have fun messing around with the town mercs. Need a break (or a quick get-away)?

Probably the default solution would be to grab a car and drive away. Well. Takes time to get a car and away, usually the mercs are quick followers once you go down that path. Takes time to get far away from the cease fire zone and I don't like it for this danger seeker diversion.

If you check the map, Pala has three openings towards the river, each one with a swamp boat. The piers are outside the cease fire zone but very close to the roads and buildings. What I keep doing to get a break is to run to a pier and walk just far enough so I don't fall into the water. Well, you could even jump into the water to make sure they don't see you.

The trick and tip is, use those piers. Shortest ways: Best is West (hehe) or East for the Beast, longest way: North. (I mostly use East).

It usually only takes a couple of seconds there to get the "you escaped" message. And only a couple of steps to get back and admire the chaos you left behind :) When I do that, I usually start another fight...  ;)

(last edit: found typos)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I found the spot Art, having never been able to initiate faction conflict I wanted to give this a try.

To get the ball rolling I walked out to the street and dropped a grenade round on each of the factions doorsteps killing the doormen and scurried back to the spot you indicated in your pictures.

It got a war started alright but I was a side of 1 and both of the factions joined forces, differences forgotten and were after me. I tried several times but each time I was the object of their affection.

In retrospect I think, if its going to be a fight to the finish, I'm going to go back when I'm in the second half of the game with my ammo upgrades for marksman weapons and the AS50 to be able to knock down 2 or 3 at a time and try the same start up but go into the hotel and fight from behind the bar just to gain the advantage of that narrow entry way so they cant flank me and to line them up for power shots.

I think I even got a few new word tracks from the mercs but was so busy fighting I couldn't make notes.

Great fun and for me I appreciate anything that adds this kind of novelty to the game.

- Thanks  :-X  ;D  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru on September 28, 2009, 07:54:55 AM
...I think I even got a few new word tracks from the mercs but was so busy fighting I couldn't make notes.

I sometimes also come across a few rare clips - many of the merc phrases are repeated so often you can almost memorize them, but once in a great while one of them will say something quite unique.

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on September 28, 2009, 07:54:55 AMhaving never been able to initiate faction conflict
Actually, this isn't about getting those two factions to kill each other. It doesn't w@&k in cease fire zones, you got it right, they're all after you :)

Quote from: mandru on September 28, 2009, 07:54:55 AMTo get the ball rolling I walked out to the street and dropped a grenade round on each of the factions doorsteps
LOL

Quote from: mandru on September 28, 2009, 07:54:55 AMtry the same start up but go into the hotel and fight from behind the bar just to gain the advantage of that narrow entry way so they cant flank me and to line them up for power shots.
It's possible, but usually, after some time, they'll stop popping in. So you need to get out and attract more. You may then go to the spot mentioned above, as it's like across the road, and later back into the hotel :)

Quote from: mandru on September 28, 2009, 07:54:55 AMI think I even got a few new word tracks from the mercs but was so busy fighting I couldn't make notes.
That is exactly what this tip is for: Fight, tension, and get a grin out of the lines you hear while you patch yourself up for the next wave to come  ;D

Quote from: mandru on September 28, 2009, 07:54:55 AMGreat fun and for me I appreciate anything that adds this kind of novelty to the game.

- Thanks  :-X  ;D  :-X
That too is the purpose of this tip: Have fun doing things you usually wouldn't :) Welcome matey. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Right now I have a savegame going in "Fresh Fish" - there are only 5 mercs that won't respawn. Current loadout for that savegame: Desert Eagle, mp5, dart. Mostly I shoot them with my Deagle only, trying to kill them as quickly as possible, or silently, or set off a grenade so they storm my position and I kill them in a mortal agony - and laugh if I survive :) Else, reload ;)

Art Blade

oh by the way, I recommend the unlimited ammo cheat plus weapons reliability cheat. Like that, you can have fun for a longer time but you may still die.

Art Blade

32) extra silent stealth technique

Edit: it works ;) So it's a tip now.

I just tested something, extra silent sneak around.

Not sure if it is actually a useful tip, but I might consider putting this onto the index of this topic. First I'd like some of you to test it and comment here :)

If you sneak around, for some reason those mercs seem to be able to hear you, especially when you step on plants that make noises, like crunching down bushes.

If you keep your weapon aimed (at nothing particular) while crouching, you do move a lot slower, but it seems the crouching noises get muffled, and if you walk around and through plants, it's quite silent, too. So keep your weapon aimed while crouching.

I was able to sneak into Slaughterhouse in plain daylight like that, and the mercs were like five steps away from me when I got into the yellowish house with exits towards the stationary AT and the other exit towards the Datsun.

When I fired a silenced weapon (mp5 and dart), they didn't know where that came from as long as they didn't see me shooting from inside that house.

Anyone fancy testing and approve or disapprove that technique? :)

PZ

I'll definitely play with that one - sounds like loads of fun  :-X

Art Blade

good :)

I come to believe that crouching with aimed weapon is below their attention threshold, unless you are right in their faces. I am still at the Slaughterhouse and they didn't hear me inside the house, and when I killed a merc and got outside, they were looking elsewhere for me. They didn't notice me until we looked each other in the eye  :) they most certainly saw it coming, what happened next  ;D

mandru

:-X   :-X   :-X

Crouching while aiming (for me the right click on my mouse) and advancing is a good tip. I was aware it cut down on brush noise and had used that to shift side to side to get a better look at an objective (you know, making sure I wasn't getting ready to blow my cover by shooting a rag draped over a crate  :-[) but I've not tried pushing the limits with it by penetrating by moving inside a defended perimiter with it.

Good one!

Also, I've tried the command line cheats but any attempt I make to alter the target line is denied when I try to save changes in the properties window for a new short cut. I'm running Vista 64 bit and I think that may be the problem.

I came across these cheats here on OWG quite a while back but couldn't get them to stick so I've just been making my saves and pushing on through.  :-*
- mandru

PZ

I'm using Vista64 and am not having problems with command line options.  Are you running a limited permissions account?  I am when doing normal things like Internet browsing and playing games, and only use admin mode to do major installations or system changes.  However, even with the limited account I can still make changes to the shortcut and make them stick.

mandru

I just chalk it up to perversion of the less than animate  :)
- mandru

PZ

Was just playing with the Police Chief using Art's new method of stealth.  It worked great - as long as no one sees you, you can sneak around in what appears to be complete silence.   Kind of slow moving, but it works.  I also tried the technique of using the Datsun (my apologies to the poster of the original idea - lost track of the post from which it came!) to drive beneath the tree when helping your buddy - managed to run down 5 mercs! (great method by the way - made this mission much easier.  :-X

Here are a few screen captures of the entire saga:

The wounded mercs don't stand a chance against the Dragunov
[smg id=1487]
[smg id=1492]
Take a look at the Police Chief through the window (I think this was Art's method posted a long time ago)
[smg id=1488]
...a closeup...
[smg id=1490]
...psst - like blowing out an egg  ;D...
[smg id=1493]
The aftermath of running down mercs that were not paying attention to their environment
[smg id=1491]
... and rescuing the fair-haired damsel
[smg id=1489]

RedRaven

you can also take out the police chief thru one of the holes in the roof, not at my home system at the mo but will post  a screen shot asap.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Alright, alright  ;D So apparently that "new" way of sneaking, or stealth approach, works. I think those mercs don't even see you when you move that slowly and wear your camo suit.

Walking with your weapon aimed all the time can be quite stressful for your hands, I too use the right mouse button. Just release it when you halt, and press it when you move on. Should you be a happy owner of a gaming keyboard such as Logitech's G15, you might want to program a G-key: Record a keystroke, any will do, and edit that macro as follows: delete the keystrokes (in fact, everything) and right-click into the macro so you see a popup menu from which you can select "add mouse action" (or something alike) which would be "press right mouse button." Make sure it doesn't contain "release" mouse button. Save macro, done. Now you hit your G-key, the scope zips up to your eye and stays there, any other firearm will lock into aim mode. You release that (go back to normal) by simply pressing the real right mouse button - more precisely, when you release it :) Like that, you hit G5 (in my case) and walk, get up, you can go away from your keyboard and still keep that weapon trained on whatever you were looking at :)

Regarding those command line cheats, I'd like to discuss it in the cheats topic, but for now I'll answer here. Mostly command line parameters don't w@&k because you messed up those quotation marks. It is important to keep the progam path with the exe inside them and to add parameters outside.

Example: "X:\Far Cry 2\bin\farcry2.exe" -GameProfile_UnlimitedReliability 1 -GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1

Hope that helped :)

RedRaven

think i'm gonna have to invest in one of those keyboards, keep hearing good things about them. good tips as alawys from Art, just need to finish off rest of the quick start packs so can get stuck into it again.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Alright, the extra silent stealth obviously works. It's now another official OWG tip :)

I went to Leboa, Lumber. Parked my car on the road, coming from Mike's. Plain daylight... undiscovered, I slowly walked (crouched) into the garage with the local AT, and out, hid between some logs next to it and shot one merc with my dart rifle. The other mercs didn't know where I was, they did say "sniper fire!" though. Funny to watch, how they ran about the place not finding me, even when they were like five steps away. I shot all Lumber mercs with silent weapons (this time 6P9, MP5, Dart). They did not return fire once. Never cleared that place so silently  ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on September 24, 2009, 02:05:02 PM
over the course of 15 to 20 seconds slowly levitate into the air(the mechanics for this is true for all floaters [...]).

If you are looking straight at it you will never see it happen as there are things the A.I. hides from view

Now here's a surprise :) See there is some bright ball on the floor, it's a small propane tank. I wanted to push it between them but the left guy suddenly started floating... LOL

[smg id=1505]
[smg id=1506]
[smg id=1507]
[smg id=1508]
[smg id=1509]
[smg id=1510]

PZ

lol, that merc looks like a gymnast in one of those pics!

fragger

Yay! Someone finally got good screencaps of that! Nice w@&k, Art!
That merc looks pretty nonchalant on the way up, then it's "I want my mommy!" time ;D
Btw, cool new avatar, mate :-X

Art Blade

Ceres Tauri

Quote from: Art Blade on June 02, 2009, 04:50:54 AM

Indeed, sometimes there are opportunities to make mercs go into fire :) I once torched one of those Jeep Liberty inside Port Selao, and mercs came to investigate. I then shot the burning wreck with a silencer (6P9) so they would go closer, and LOL three of them burnt themselves  ;D

I saw a weird one last night.  I was on the NW map, coming from the safehouse and looking for diamonds.  I scouted the pond and hut inside the curve of the mountain and N of the rail tracks.  When I crept close enough to see what was going on there, those stupid mercs let their campfire get out of control!  It started burning the grass, trees and their hut. 

Funny part was them just standing there staring down at the fire as it crept towards them...  I intentionally leg wounded one guy with SVD at 10M or so, and he fell into the fire and died. 

His buddy, 2 meters away, stood there watching him burn.  No response to my shot.  He was obviously suffering combat fatigue so I offered him some warm Vodka...  He couldn't handle his liquor and fell down in a ring of fire too, hehe.  Once the valley fire died down and the other merc offered me some ammo, and I returned the gesture, polite chaps that we are, I was able to find the <> no problem.

PZ

What an interesting experience - I've not directly experienced merc fires becoming out of control, although I have witnessed the aftermath (burnt areas where I'd not been).  Fascinating that the merc did not respond to your shot - typically the AI treats the fire as a separate threat, but to completely ignore your presence is unusual  :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: Ceres Tauri on October 07, 2009, 08:02:53 PM
He was obviously suffering combat fatigue so I offered him some warm Vodka...  He couldn't handle his liquor and fell down in a ring of fire too, hehe.  Once the valley fire died down and the other merc offered me some ammo, and I returned the gesture, polite chaps that we are, I was able to find the <> no problem.

That made me laugh out loud  :-X :-X :-X :)

Ceres Tauri

well, maybe that leg wound was when I was testing the dart and I forgot, due to so little sleep lately (playing) and usually carrying the SVD and dismisrememberification error.  Possible.

Tags:
🡱 🡳